We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Actual Street Performers (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
RandomEffects
View Profile
Veteran user
Boston, MA
323 Posts

Profile of RandomEffects
Hello all

It's been a while since I have had the time to check in but I was wondering how many people on this site actually make their money either part- or full-time from performing on the street. This is not to make fun of those people who are getting started or those who do it for fun, I am just curious as to how many of us devote a big portion of our income to our street act. I don't want dollars just a head count.

Ted, Danny, Gazzo, Cellini, and Whit are excluded (but feel free to chime in), and don't get ****** if I didn't mention your name, it's late and I have not been on the site for a while.

Much love,
Mat Random
djvirtualreality
View Profile
Inner circle
MayfieldNew York
1347 Posts

Profile of djvirtualreality
I do magic on the side of me being a DJ. Does that count?
Life is an illusion, death is reality.
Swami Bill
View Profile
Regular user
Le Monde
135 Posts

Profile of Swami Bill
Here's my story: this is my first season on the streets. I've been doing magic for 20 years but this is the first time I've put together a street act and took it out "there".

Earlier this spring I had scoped out what I thought would be good pitches and went out and did the act. My first gig I made $5 for about 2.5 hours work. An eye opener to say the least but I did make some dough! I continued to refine my act and, most importantly, continued to perform.

When the tourist season reached its peak I was working three to four days a week, for four hours a day and I averaged $40 a day. Again, not great but I felt like I was doing something right. From those gigs I snagged several festivals (still busking, of course) which upped my hat to about $65 for four hours work.

The season is winding down now and I think I've learned enough to refine my act even more this winter and pick up where I left off in the spring. I'd say I was successful and I owe Kozmo, Danny, Whit, Pete Biro and mucho others a part of my hat. Er, well, maybe next year...but they all played a part in my success by being so open on this forum.
That's MISTER Swami Bill to you.
Doug Conn
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of Doug Conn
You can add my head to the count.

When there's no corporate events to work (which is more often than not lately) I take my act to the street (which was what brought me to New Orleans 15 years ago.)

Doug Conn
http://www.dougconn.com
Dbzkid999
View Profile
Elite user
Canada
407 Posts

Profile of Dbzkid999
I've been doing magic for a year and four months and I perform at my school and in the city when I get home.
Jason K.
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of Jason K.
I'm in my senior year of high school and all my money comes from actual street preforming.

Gazzo has been kind enough to teach me the basics and such, and I'm thinking of pursuing street performing as a career for a couple of years after graduation.
m@t
View Profile
Loyal user
London, UK www.MatthewLaskey.com
250 Posts

Profile of m@t
I do a bit of street magic, mostly restaurant and strolling magic for some cash as I'm still in college. Smile
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5290 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Well it's nice to be mentioned...Someone influenced me a lot and turned my restaurant/corporate thing into a street thing...cellini. I thank him.

Doug, I look forward to seeing you soon.

By the way, there is a really great magi in New Orleans...dante, terrific performer and he does some killer coin work, the best stuff and it's Doug Conn's work. Doug is an amazing coin worker.

koz
magicsoup
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of magicsoup
Every summer I do a few street shows. Usually at the Fringe fest or wherever I happen to be on my holidays.
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3607 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Yep Streets, when not doing The Outside Shows (March through to December). Then exhibitions through Xmas and New Year, all with a street-style act. It's now my 30+ year, full time and paying taxes.

Ken
vernon
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
551 Posts

Profile of vernon
Started out as a hobby, then became my job. For the last five years in cabaret, and now finally this season after the Edinburgh Festival—where my best day was 165 pounds—and am now in Munich for the Oktoberfest. But Germans are tight...

Vernon
RiffClown
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorktown, Virginia (Previously Germany)
1579 Posts

Profile of RiffClown
I worked the piers in SF in the early 90s. That's where I got my start.

Quote:
...Munich for the Oktoberfest. But Germans are tight...

Vernon

In September and October, money is for beer, schnitzel and wurst. Anything left over goes for beer, schnitzel and wurst. I've entertained my way quite a few free meals for my family and guests so I don't think tight is the appropriate term. Oktoberfest does change everything. Smile
Rob "Riff, the Magical Clown" Eubank aka RiffClown
<BR>http://www.riffclown.com
<BR>Magic is not the method, but the presentation.
Patrick McKeever
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of Patrick McKeever
I got more working material from Doug Conn's lecture several years ago in Austin then the Second Deal get together in N.O.

Doug I hope things are going well with you. I am going to make a run to N.O. next week. Perhaps I will run into you. Hope to drag Roc out of the house. Also hope hope this kid, Dante is in town. Maybe even Koz.

Best to all ya'll in the easy, Patrick
david_a_whitehead
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
2122 Posts

Profile of david_a_whitehead
Street magic takes guts...far more than I have.
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
It also takes a strong back, something I no longer have... Smile
Doug Conn
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of Doug Conn
Street tip #1545—Roll your magi-crap around (luggage carts are good for this).

Of course, Whit was doing street magic before the "wheel" was invented! Smile

Regards,
Doug Conn
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5290 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Wheels are a good thing

koz
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Doug: That is not very funny, my man. True, but not very funny... Smile
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3395 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
I heard tell that Whit had some first-hand experience with the early hominids original fingering of the shell game. Of course, back then, Whit said, they only used one shell. I get that right, Whit?

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Doug Conn
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of Doug Conn
Whit,

That joke was delivered with my GREATEST respect (I figured after hanging with Gazzo, you could handle a little "jab-humor".)

Sidenote; my respect for you goes back to...1986, to Cellini's convention in Charlotte, N.C. at "Buskers". I was a young magi-guy (who drove cross country and slept in the car to attend that event) and your performance/lecture was one of the highlights of the weekend. That's saying A LOT, that "convention" was undoubtedly the best magi-gathering I ever attended.

Thanks for the inspiration,
Doug Conn
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Actual Street Performers (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL