The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Apple ibooks 2 and magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

dark kard
View Profile
Regular user
Providence, RI
142 Posts

Profile of dark kard
Im not sure how many people on here follow technology news but apple today released some really impressive stuff today on text books. They demoed how to make text books interactive and incorporate videos and 3d models as well as pictures. When I was watching the presentation I thought how useful this technology could be for use in magic books. The program for creating is free so I have been playing with the tools and there very strong. One of the things that would make this great for magic books is the fact that you can imbed video into the books. How great would it be to get a performance of the effect and maybe the explanation in both video and picture/word form. It would also allow the author to also tell the history of the effect in words and able to go into more detail than what would be possible in video alone. Im curious as to what others think and there opinion if this tec would be good for magic instruction.
"flying is easy all you have to do is miss the ground" Douglas Adams
<BR>dark kard
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2531 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Some magic ebooks already do this.
ftlum
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, CA
726 Posts

Profile of ftlum
Are you forced to sell only in the App Store? I'm not sure magicians would want to put their books in a place where the general public has such easy access.

Mike Close did a great job with his eBooks-- embedded video and all. I'm not sure why this didn't really catch on, though I must say I generally prefer to have a paper book in my hand (I hate reading computer screens-- I do enough of that at work already). Call me old, I guess.
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
Oregon City Oregon, Oregon
2472 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
Quote:
On 2012-01-19 15:44, Frank L. wrote:
Mike Close did a great job with his eBooks-- embedded video and all. I'm not sure why this didn't really catch on, though I must say I generally prefer to have a paper book in my hand

I think that is exactly why it didn't catch on. I love ebooks, from convenience to stewardship of the earth (no paper), but didn't like having to read them on my desktop or laptop.

The iPad2 has change how I view all that, and love the fact that I have my ebooks (pdfs, etc) on one device, and can read them easily.

RevJohn
Chris
View Profile
Inner circle
lybrary.com
1114 Posts

Profile of Chris
Having produced the Card College ebooks with about 200 embedded videos I can tell you why we don't see more such publications. It is a matter of cost and time. It is expensive enough to produce a book or a DVD. To produce both for one product is in many cases hard to justify. The cost and additional work is often the reason why this does not happen more often.

A tool like iBook author does not change the fact that you still need to shoot and edit the videos in addition to writing the book and drawing illustrations. It does help in putting everything together, but that has been possible for more than a decade and is not really the big challenge, even though it is nice to see these tools going in the right direction.
Lybrary.com preserving magic one book at a time.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Apple ibooks 2 and magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL