The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Stopping the B.S. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2487 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
Profanity: evidence of an immature mind trying to express itself.

sam
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I do not think it is a good idea to speak in absolutes about these things.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2487 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
Billy- there you go again judging Café members saying that we are "poor Performers" because we disagree with you!
This is just not true my friend. Matter of fact I was kind of shocked to read that you drink before or during your shows! And dropping cards although it can happen should not be happening as much as you seem to be doing it.

as for the foul language I never have and never will use it in life or in my show! I have performed everywhere from Bars to Biker shows, to comedy clubs to everywhere. what I can tell you is that 98% of the time of the magicians I saw when and if they used a "choice" word got an audience that turned on them or let them know they did not like that or even a "hey don't say that"

I can also say most of them used the word in place of using their brain to come up with a creative idea instead of using a curse word.

I also believe that using curse words brings that person down a few notches in the eyes of the audience. there is that "laugh" that is uncomfortable that some take as a good laugh when in reality it is just the opposite.

I have yet to see Greats use foul language to create their comedy. Looking at comedians like Bill Cosby, Jerry Lewis, heck even Seinfeld does not use foul language ever! why because these entertainers rely on their wits and their talent to make em laugh not a cheap drop of the Fbomb!

matter of fact people like Milton Berle have some of the funniest stuff I ever heard and even to this day it is hilarious. I just don't think most comedians or even magicians for that matter take the time to really create memorable routines that rely on their talent and not a bunch of curse words.

just my thoughts

sam
Scott Burton
View Profile
Inner circle
1131 Posts

Profile of Scott Burton
Quote:
On 2012-02-03 22:47, Sam Sandler wrote:
Profanity: evidence of an immature mind trying to express itself.

sam

Perhaps if one, in their positioning strategy, wanted to sell to or gain an audience of immature minds, then appealing to the immature mind by using profanity could be the smartest thing a person could do. Ever thought that those entertainers using profanity (and other variations of controversial tactics) may actually have thought out their approach and may even be very non-controversial in their day-to-day lives.

I am about as clean-cut of a person as you could find but I still recognise that profanity has a big place in our culture and lives on in entertainment as much as ever (seen any movies lately).

I wouldn`t be so quick to judge those that use profanity as being immature (even if some are). Using profanity may be part of a very smart decision to attract attention and a loyal clientale.
Billy-one
View Profile
Inner circle
IOWA
1028 Posts

Profile of Billy-one
Mr. Burton,

I could not have stated it any better myself and I have tried, a lot Smile

I agree that I am immature at times, however it is always calculated.

a) For example, when a friend has had a bad day...say his co-worker got promoted before him, then I will be immature and joke and say "stop being a !@#$%", ect. ect.

However, this is for a friend that I know needs to be cheered up when he is down and cheering him up with laughter works best.

(b) another example, a friend is having a bad day...say his mother has passed away, then I will never be immature and joking. I think/know that I would be a rock and someone that they can share tears with or look for comfort amongst a multitidue of other ways, none of them immature.

My point ??? You have to know your audience, in real life and during performance. If you can not "feel" what they need, perhaps you should not judge some of us that can.

Respect,
Billy
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I just LOVE irony, especially when it sneaks up on people.

It is odd how the very person who seems to be making the most judgements, cautions those others NOT making them.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2487 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
Obviously I come from the stand point that there is no reason to use profanity. in my book it does nothing but bring you down in the eyes of others.
to me using a curse word instead of thinking of another word to take its place is laziness.

sorry but you will not convince me that there is "good" times to use it.

now Scott- I agree with you that many use it just to gain that publicity. I mean Andrew dice clay was as funny as a Post so he came up with the idea of using so much profanity it got him noticed. however you will also notice that he audiences shriveled up as you can only take so much cursing and the fact that the guy was just not funny. yet you can listen to Cosby, berle and others today and they are just as funny as they were 20 or more years ago.

any way I don't use foul language and never will. you or any one else is more then welcome to use it and I will not condemn you for doing so.

sam
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I have only the opinion that absolutes in general don't cover every situation and are bad. ESPECIALLY on the internet where you have all the pretend experts.

I will say this and I am being serious. There ARE situations in which profanity and blu shows work. I did a show in West Virgina in which the booker told me they expected me to be a bit more adult with the hypnosis show. It was a bar, it was an environment in which people just expected that sort of thing. I did a show, and a good one, but the only negative comment was that they expected it a bit more adult.

Comedy clubs in general have a more adult feel to them, and "profanity" can be used pretty freely. I put it in quotes because for the venue it is really not "profane" at all.

There ARE situations where it will fly, where it IS expected and you will do better WITH it. But even comedy clubs are not an absolute. Mac King headlined for years and didn't swear. So again that makes my point of absolutes.

I will say there are generally more places available to work if you don't swear. But to make grand pronouncements about what is right or wrong for everyone is just not that smart.

I am FAR more offended by magicians doing the same stupid tricks, guys using the same tired lines, guys who just can't get it through their heads that time moves forward and a tuxedo might not be the best thing to wear all the time. Want to talk about offended? I am offended every time I see someone do the stupid bowling ball production and look like they are taking a dump on stage.

I think there are FAR worse things to be offended about and that hurt magic and bring down the (What we laughingly refer to as...) art.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Scott Burton
View Profile
Inner circle
1131 Posts

Profile of Scott Burton
I totally respect your position Sam but I just don't think there are absolutes. I agree that, with so many alternative approaches, there is no reason why you need to use profanity. But why not use it IF (and only if) it works for you and your audience?

Obviously it wouldn't actually work for you and your audience Sam almost as much as it wouldn't work for me. Cursing on stage would be just as awkward and strange on me as putting on eye-liner and a leather jacket. My audience also wouldn't enjoy it in the venues I appear.

I don't use ever profanity myself but I do enjoy many comedians who do. I don't know why but a little naughty humour - especially when it shocks you - can be especially refreshing and fun. Luckily there are as almost many entertainment alternatives as there are individual preferences.
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2487 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
Again I am not saying no one should use and that I understand those that do use it in what I will call the "right" moment

what I am saying is the only absolute is that I will never use foul language in life or in my show.

I respect others that to use it but I would rather not have it in my show or in shows I would watch. but that is me,

Danny I can not agree with you more about magicians using the same lines or lack of effort to make a routine original. I have no problem them doing the same trick but find a way to make it their own and that is a very very big problem.

sam
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
On 2012-01-19 21:06, Ben Harris wrote:
Magic has been pretty much degraded from art to "curiosity". Sadly, for magicians, the technology we live with is more amazing than most magic performed.

That is true when magic is performed like a circus sideshow. But no technological wonder will eclipse the feeling people have when they see, up close, a match floating precariously above a card!

Clarke
Billy-one
View Profile
Inner circle
IOWA
1028 Posts

Profile of Billy-one
Clarke,

Lol, awesome!

Respect,
Billy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Stopping the B.S. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL