The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Cheap Two Inch Billiard Balls (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
JamesRaymond
View Profile
New user
Elkhart, IN (USA)
49 Posts

Profile of JamesRaymond
Quote:
On 2012-02-16 17:06, wmhegbli wrote:
I am one of the few that do not care for the Fakini, they have to many drawbacks for me and what I am trying to accomplish.

I did just order the JL Mirage Multiplying Billiard Balls to see if they will work for some new material I am learning. If anyone cares I will express my thoughts on them when they arrive by the end of the week hopefully.

I would like to hear what you have to say. I was looking at them myself before I just went with the Fakini.
Are you watching closely?
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6724 Posts

Profile of Dougini
OK, Bill!

I did it! Ordered a set of these for myself! Thanks man! I would never have ordered magic from eBay again after the last fiasco with rip-offs. Your posts convinced me! Smile

Doug
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22401 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2012-02-17 13:15, Dougini wrote:
OK, Bill!

I did it! Ordered a set of these for myself! Thanks man! I would never have ordered magic from eBay again after the last fiasco with rip-offs. Your posts convinced me! Smile

Doug

I just sent for a 5th set myself. If you had any problem with Billiard Balls in the past, then these may be what you are looking for. I could never do finger rolls, and it is very easy with these soft balls. I am still working on what to paint the inside of the gimmick to stop sunlight from changing the look of it when aside the balls. No big problem, I just want to be covered, just in case.
JamesRaymond
View Profile
New user
Elkhart, IN (USA)
49 Posts

Profile of JamesRaymond
[/quote]
I just sent for a 5th set myself. If you had any problem with Billiard Balls in the past, then these may be what you are looking for. I could never do finger rolls, and it is very easy with these soft balls. I am still working on what to paint the inside of the gimmick to stop sunlight from changing the look of it when aside the balls. No big problem, I just want to be covered, just in case.
[/quote]

I did notice the slight color change you speak of in the photo from the link you gave. Hope you find a solution to you problem.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22401 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Let me state up front, even though the JL Mirage Billiard Balls have been on the market for over a year, I have not read a review of them as of yet that is definitive in nature. They only come in one size 1.7 inch. This size seems to work well for me. That is a little less then 1-3/4", the shell is 1.85" which is about 1-7/8" across.

I ordered the Yellow set from Penguin Magic because they were priced at $75 for a set of 3 balls and 1 shell, free shipping and no sales tax. I then ordered a second shell at $25 for double shell work as Shimada does on his manipulation videos.

Penguin Magic made me laugh when they sent a video of them boxing the order up with the person wearing white gloves. True white glove care!

The balls arrived today, they are very nice indeed, supplied in plastic tubes. This will be great for transporting and storage as well. They are heavy like maybe a metal core in the balls, but not too heavy to hold easily between the fingers. The texture of the silicon material is dry and flat finished looking and has no sticky feeling to them at all.

One shell did have a black smudge on it and all I did was run it under water and wipe it right off. So the advertising is very true. Water clean up. Can't do that with a Fakini.

The shell does have an edge of approximately 3/32 of an inch, flat cut across. So they do not tapper down to a pointed edge. When 2 shells surround a ball they meet as if one ball. I think that is what the girl in the demo video is displaying, a ball that is surrounded with 2 shells.

I attempted a double shell and ball production at once and it worked very well for me. Rough because I will have to practice, but I did not drop anything. The balls do have a grippe filling to them, but not a sticky feeling like the Fakini balls.

As some of you may have figured out, I have been obsessed with the double shell work since seeing it on YouTube by some of the performers. I only hope I can achieve the mastery of those individuals.

Manipulations are much easier when you have the proper equipment, and this is one product that is superior. I am very happy with the balls and highly recommend them to anyone desiring to master Multiplying Billiard Balls. To bad they have to be so expensive, but that is the nature of products today.

They bounce great too!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22401 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Another point the JL Mirage Billiard Balls do not sick in the shells. They roll right out very easily. No having to create a break before production. So this set will not let you do the ball through silk effect where you show the silk half way through the silk on both sides. Can't have everything, I guess.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22401 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
JL Mirage Balls are dirt collectors. Every time I drop the ball on the floor, it picks up the smallest dirt, hair, or dust it can. This dirt cannot be wiped or brushed off, or even picked off. The only way to get the dirt off is by putting it under the sink facet and running water over it. Comes right off, but practicing difficult move means a lot of trips to the sink.
JamesRaymond
View Profile
New user
Elkhart, IN (USA)
49 Posts

Profile of JamesRaymond
Quote:
On 2012-02-20 15:46, wmhegbli wrote:
JL Mirage Balls are dirt collectors. Every time I drop the ball on the floor, it picks up the smallest dirt, hair, or dust it can. This dirt cannot be wiped or brushed off, or even picked off. The only way to get the dirt off is by putting it under the sink facet and running water over it. Comes right off, but practicing difficult move means a lot of trips to the sink.

I notice my Fakini's have the same problem...I have a Full Blooded Siberian Husky and he sheds bad and this causes many trips to the sink. Smile
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
No one has commented on Pete Biro's claim of knock-offs at the site. Is this enough to make anyone NOT want to do business there?
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22401 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
This forum is not discussing the other items, but I can only say, that I do not see any proof the items they are offering are 'knock offs'. Many of the items sold in the USA are made in China. The person selling these items says they are factory direct without any instructions. If you would throw out everything in your home made in China, you home would be empty.

The Billiard Balls which is the topic here are not sold anywhere else that I can find on the Internet. I truly do not believe these Billiard Balls to be 'knock offs' of anything.

Not back to the topic at hand!
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
6724 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On 2012-02-20 23:16, wmhegbli wrote:
...If you would throw out everything in your home made in China, your home would be empty...

Ha ha! I agree, Bill! Smile

Quote:
On 2012-02-20 23:16, wmhegbli wrote:
...I can only say, that I do not see any proof the items they are offering are 'knock offs'...I truly do not believe these Billiard Balls to be 'knock offs' of anything.

Nope, you're right! I'm really looking forward to these! I really appreciate you bringing these to our attention, Bill! Smile

Doug
Eric the Excellent
View Profile
Loyal user
Montana
234 Posts

Profile of Eric the Excellent
I had a set of cheap, small, bright red plastic multiplying balls up until yesterday. The kind that crack all over when you drop them(apparently). I promised myself that once I got decent with them, I'd get a better set... looks like fate has intervened on two fronts now; thanks!
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
6724 Posts

Profile of Dougini
They arrived today!

Overall, very much worth the $13, no doubt! Nicely made, and as long as you don't stand in front of a light, the translucence of the gaff is a non-issue. A piece of thin red felt might mask it better.

They're two inches, alright! Stretches my tiny hand out, and that is good! Great exercise for the hands! Thanks for bringing this to light, Bill! A great purchase! Smile

Doug
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22401 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Doug, try rolling the ball out of the gimmick and then to the next fingers, it is super easy.

I just got another set last Thursday.

I just found another site that has them in white, I will try the ordering process and report back on the process.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
6724 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Awesome! In WHITE?? Also, I didn't see a set that was 1 1/2 inches, at least not the same set. Or...?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22401 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Doug, here is the 1-1/2" or 4 cm size balls, they are more expensive from this guy. This is the price I paid, I was interested to see them. As I said the shell is shiney plastic and does not match the balls like the 2" balls do.
AbsoluteZero
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of AbsoluteZero
Bill, welcome to the world of JL:)
How's your progress with your triple shell work?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22401 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2012-03-12 15:22, AbsoluteZero wrote:
Bill, welcome to the world of JL:)
How's your progress with your triple shell work?

Double shell work is really progressing. I have not tried the 3rd shell yet. I made adjustments to the JL shells which has cut down the learning curve greatly. I only have to build speed and smoothness and get it 100%.

Thanks for asking.
AbsoluteZero
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of AbsoluteZero
Quote:
Double shell work is really progressing. I have not tried the 3rd shell yet. I made adjustments to the JL shells which has cut down the learning curve greatly. I only have to build speed and smoothness and get it 100%.

Thanks for asking.

Nice to hear that. Looking forward to see some new moves from you. Smile
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22401 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Just ordered a second set of the China 40cm $18.00 soft rubber Billiard Balls.

I ordered them to practice the Ade DuVal Golf Ball routine published in David Charvet's wonderful book about Ade DuVal.

In the routine you have to place a ball in the crook of the same hand holding another ball between the thumb and index finger. I find with larger Billiard Balls this display to be impossible.

Additionally, it will not be possible to use the hat as steal location with the larger size balls as well, as discribed in the book.

----------------------------------------------

I would also like to correct a statement about the Ireland's Multiplying Golf Balls from the early days. Those that still have the shell, it was possible to buy a real English Golf Ball and perform the Multiplying Golf Ball routines. While Googling, I found that the balls were 1.62" and they stopped making them in that size in 1990. So unless you can find an old supply, none will fit the shell anymore.

They also stated real golf balls are 1.68" in diameter.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Cheap Two Inch Billiard Balls (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL