The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Can a performer claim to perform an illusion show with a Super X and a Murder Incorporated? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DarryltheWizard
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of DarryltheWizard
Every once and a while I check out new magic websites. I have found several sites of very young performers who consider any prop bigger than a medium-sized square circle an illusion. Many of the lay public and quite a few magicians consider illusions to be the larger box-type effects and levitations . Smaller effects can also be considered to be illusions. For example, when you take a magic wand and shake it, it appears to be rubber- a false belief- an optical illusion. These performers have a photo of one Murder Incorporated and a Super X Levitation and they claim to have an illusion show. I basically perform a stage act with a few small illusions. I don't advertise my act as an illusion show, but I put the emphasis on the deceptionist not the device. I have seen so -called professional illusionists; however, to me they are only door-openers and box-wheelers.If there is no message to the magic, then it really doesn't matter.
I have all the above mentioned props, but I don't advertise my act as an illusion show.What do you think?
Darryl the Wizard
DarryltheWizard
"Life without mystery is like a candle
with a snuffed out flame." Albert Einstein
davekilpatrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Syracuse, NY
283 Posts

Profile of davekilpatrick
Darryl,

You must understand that the term "illusion" is used as shop talk in our field. When we say it, we mean floating people and sawing them in half. The public is generally not aware of that use of the term. To them, illusion, as you indicated, means any visual trick on the eye. Feel free to use the word the way you wish.

Dave
Illusionist
View Profile
Regular user
Earth
121 Posts

Profile of Illusionist
Most magic is considered illusion by definition. Tricking the eye to see something other than whats really happening. The way I used to look at it, and still do, is this. magicians = people like cardini, david wingfeild verner (dia vernon)
then there are people who do both = effects from slieghts, to zombie balls, right down to asrsh. these people are just trying to be versitile. Then theres people like me nothing but big illusions. mind you I do childrens shows and use regular magic tricks. I may pop in a bigger one like vanishing bunny rabbit box, but never the less still just a magic show.

this is just how I veiw it.
Smile
Darmoe
View Profile
Special user
Ohio
741 Posts

Profile of Darmoe
Well, I have to agree with the original position of the first post here... I've found that the majority of the public does think "BIG EXPENSIVE FUNNY LOOKING DEVICES AND EXOTIC ANIMALS" when the term "Illusionist" is used in a billing... though everyone thus far has some valid points, I can understand where Darryl is coming from as well.

Long ago (in a land not so far away) the definitions were thus...

TRICKS where classified as smaller hand props and manipulation type effects.

ILLUSIONETTES (which I believe is an Abbott term) referred to larger scaled effects that were practical for a parlor, cabaret and small room atmosphere. This classification included things like the Ribbon Shooting thru Lady, Lakes Guillotine, and even the Broom Suspension/Super X, etc.

ILLUSIONS were the grand effects for large stage situations including most of the larger levitation systems like the Aga, Kalanag, and Asrah as well as your cabinet routines like the Sawing, Mod. Cabinet, Doll House, et al.

GRAND ILLUSIONS are those massive hunks O'Crap that deliver media attention and consumer rapport... The Buzz Saw, Sielbit/ Thurston styled Stretching, Horse (and other large object) vanishes & productions, most Escapes (milk can, water cell, etc.)

Over the years we've all grown lazy in our application of proper term reference and thus, people doing Bizarre Magic think themselves Mentalists and the average magician (especially those new to the trade) refuse to see any wrong in blending the various elements of our craft into one big collective we wrongfully classify as being a "show."

I know, I'm sounding harsh... but the gest of the original posting reveals how we really do need to not only redefine the elements and factions within our craft, but ahere to those perspectives for the sake of effective communications... otherwise we'll have a breakout of Ebonics and no one will know what's what i.e.; "I do an Asstrah Levitation... I Do the Azra... I do an Ashra... etc. But that's all another issue as well.

Just some food for thought.

Smile
"I firmly believe that of all the Arts and Crafts of Mentalism, there is nothing more satisfying than one who is a first-class Reader. It is the ultimate in Mentalism..." - Tony Corinda * 13 Steps To Mentalism
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Can a performer claim to perform an illusion show with a Super X and a Murder Incorporated? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL