We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Billard Ball Shells (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Kyle tipped me to some great rubber balls from US Toy Company. (Check out their web page). They're just like Fakinis at a fraction of the cost. Anyone have any ideas how to make a shell? All ideas are welcome. How are Fakini shells made?
Thanks.
Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Micheal Leath
View Profile
Inner circle
1046 Posts

Profile of Micheal Leath
Well, you can buy the shells by themselves for like $18.75. I'm not sure exactly how the Fakini shells are made, but it appears there is some hard material with the silicon attached over that.

Micheal Leath
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Thanks, Michael. I've heard the Fakinis are hard to get. Do you have any suggested places to try? Thanks.
Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Micheal Leath
View Profile
Inner circle
1046 Posts

Profile of Micheal Leath
Denny & Lee just sent out an email with some Fakini products on it. You may want to give them a call.
Brent Allan
View Profile
Elite user
Chicago
415 Posts

Profile of Brent Allan
James,

Do you have the web address? I tried http://www.ustoycompany.com, but that wasnt it.
Turn your business card into a relentless salesperson that brings you business!

http://www.TransformYourBusinesscard.com
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Brent,
The site is http://www.ustoy.com.
Let me know how you like it.

Jim
-The Scot-
View Profile
Special user
726 Posts

Profile of -The Scot-
I had a friend who tried to make shells from rubber balls - he failed miserably. Best bet is to buy a fakini shell, and then use the other balls as regular billiard balls.

Kevin
Dave Dorsett
View Profile
Veteran user
Macomb, Illinois
345 Posts

Profile of Dave Dorsett
I know this is late, but the info is for anyone else who may stumble across this as I did. Balls sold by U.S. Toy and most other "dime store" suppliers are NOT "...just like Fakini" balls.
The rubber composition is far different. My company once purchased some standard rubber balls to develop BB sets for sale and to research making the Durania balls for Stevens. Regular rubber balls will dry out and crack. I have a 15 year old set of Fakini golf balls that feel exactly like they did the day they were purchased.
The mold line is also far more pronounced on the U.S. Toy balls and they are slick where the Fakini has a cling. Yep, they're expensive but there is a very good reason for that!
Dave Dorsett
Douglas~Wayne Illusioneering
BSutter
View Profile
Special user
Sitting on a pile of
582 Posts

Profile of BSutter
I have a few sets of Fakini balls, one is more than 15 years old and still in like new condition. Anyway back on track.

For your shells I can put you in direct contact with Fakini, but you will have to wait till I get to the information.

At the risk of repeating I believe you will not get satisfactory results with the balls you mentioned.

Bill
mattisdx
View Profile
Inner circle
1614 Posts

Profile of mattisdx
What would you use billiard ball shells for?
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
Multiplying billiard balls. Mark Wilson has a routine for it in his book. Multiplying sponge balls are based on these.
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
from ? But I know where I am going!
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
I sprayed the plastic dip on some 2" wooden balls from the craft store and made the shell out of bondo. Just wax the bax so the bondo shell will come off when dry, sand to shape and paint.
Nothing of the same will bring any change, take action today!
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Flourish dude, were you able to match the color of the balls with the plastic coat rubber material?
Thanks.
Jim
Blackpool
View Profile
New user
Kingston, Ontario
31 Posts

Profile of Blackpool
Is there a brand name on that plastic dip? Where can I get it? I use wooden balls and shells, but they are too slippery.
The Amazing Blackpool
Magician ~ Mental Illusionist ~ Hypnotist
Blackpool@KingstonMagic.com
KeirRoyale
View Profile
Special user
Denver, CO
550 Posts

Profile of KeirRoyale
Plastic Dip is a brand name product. You can find it at Home Depot or the like.
mdspark
View Profile
Special user
783 Posts

Profile of mdspark
I know it comes loose in a can for dipping...but does it come in spray form??
Carron
View Profile
Special user
UK
958 Posts

Profile of Carron
Jim which balls in particular are the ones you bought?

Tom
WalterZ
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of WalterZ
Yes, I'd like to know that too...

I bought a fakini set a while back, they work great, but kinda pricy. I would like another set with which I could possibly make my own gaffs.

I really like the dipping in rubber idea... Never thought of that.
~WalterZ~

Themystifier.com
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Quote:
On 2004-08-03 23:11, flourish dude wrote: I sprayed the plastic dip on some 2" wooden balls from the craft store and made the shell out of bondo. Just wax the bax so the bondo shell will come off when dry, sand to shape and paint.

Bondo is a good idea. I use it all the time to make parts using molds so its sort of the same. One thing I've found when working with Bondo is that it get real hot before it hardens and then cools rapidly. If you pull the molded part right after it hardens but before it cools you get a cleaner and easier separation.

Any chance we can see a picture of your Bondo shell. I'm curious about how thin you were able to get it???

All the best,

-=tabman
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
bobn3
View Profile
Special user
Wichita, KS
718 Posts

Profile of bobn3
Hi,

Stevens Magic (website below) carries the Fakini balls. They also carry the Fakini thimbles.

Have a good one,

Bob

Posted: Dec 9, 2004 3:07pm
---------------------------------------------
Hi,

Forgot to mention that Stevens also carries some great ball droppers that go well with the Fakini balls. See the above post for the web site.

Bob
http://www.stevensmagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Billard Ball Shells (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL