The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » What do ya Think..... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Hugh Entwistle
View Profile
Regular user
177 Posts

Profile of Hugh Entwistle
Hi guys, I've just been sorting out through some tricks but I'm not sure if it fits or if it will go down well with the kids. I've put a list of tricks (not in order) Could people reply by recommending/ removing/ ordering the tricks on my list P.S I don't want to be spending my money on a 120 dollar cake prodcution or anything like that, keep the price down...

1.Pen up nose gag followed by pointless by greg wilson
2.Card to Shoe, --> then mercury card fold to mouth, (has some funny gags in it)
3.Colour in deck, make the kids pick double blank cards and they turn into cards from a rainbow deck.
4.Fiber Optics Rope Routine
5.Paper Balls over the Head
6.Attack of the Bag by Craig Petty (producing a jumbo coin at the end)
7.Cups and Balls
RealityOne
View Profile
Loyal user
227 Posts

Profile of RealityOne
I'm assuming this is for older kids maybe 8 to 12 year olds, because it wouldn't work well for the younger (5 and 6 year olds).

I don't like starting off with Pointless. It will set the tone for your whole show -- as you start they will continue. That is, the kids will be looking to figure out what the method is the whole show because you've challenged them to guess where the point of the pen is in Pointless. It also set's a tone of it the kids against the magician to see if they can figure out what you are doing and if you can trick them. Also, I'm not sure this would play big enough for an audience more than 3 or 4.

I also don't like paper balls because (especially after Pointless) the kids may yell out what is happening and ruin the effect.
~David

Any perception of reality is a selection of reality which results in a distortion of reality.
mr shiney
View Profile
Loyal user
266 Posts

Profile of mr shiney
Hi
don't think the paper balls over the head will work for kids?
They will no keep quit and just tell the kid you got up wait you did then an there.
Best Job in the world

Mr Shiney
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
The card tricks will only work for older kids, and the balls over the head will not work for kids.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Hugh, the main thing is how the tricks are presented. It depends on the magician's character and personality. If you present any of the above tricks to kids as if you are talking to adults, the show will be boring for children. If you are creative, comical, goofy and silly in front of children, you will keep their attention. A good video to watch will be "Silly Billy". Always remember it is not the trick, it is the presentation.

I advise to brighten it up by purchasing tricks that are colorful for children for example Mouth Coils, Coloring Book, Feather Flowers, Blendo, Streamer, Silks, etc.
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2286 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
I agree with the suggestions and observations made so far. I would also caution you about Fiber Optics Rope Routine. I don't know what age group you're planning to perform for, but Fiber Optics is too aggressive for "kids." The routine is more for teens and adults - unless you plan to use just part of it. I recommend a simple cut & restored routine for young kids.
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

MagicalMichael.com Smile Laus Deo!
Hugh Entwistle
View Profile
Regular user
177 Posts

The routine id for kids 8+, as for starting with pointless ect, I quote that the routines ARE NOT in order, pointless would be second last I think, finishing with cups and balls with production of a watermelon from hat.

In my opinion the card trick is really good as you can easily get away with the misdirection because 1, they are not expecting it to get to my shoe and the next phase doesn't use any misdirection at all, there are also many gags as well with the card trick. I am starting to agree with the paper balls over the head that it wouldnt work. However I believe that with changed presentation with the fiber optics routine it could be a really good trcik. ect do the moves acting as if you are not noticing. e.g YOu have 1 piece of rope and while you say, so kids, I have ONE rope, I do the cut move to make into two and they start yelling "YOUVE GOT TWO ROPES", "Sorry, I made a mistake there, lets just turn it into ONE piece of rope', you continue now with the ONE rope and repeat...

THe reason I put some more adult tricks in there is to fool older people as well, so I can get repeat bookings
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Quote:
On 2012-01-26 03:26, Hugh Entwistle wrote:
THe reason I put some more adult tricks in there is to fool older people as well, so I can get repeat bookings

You will get repeat bookings if the children laugh. It is as simple as that. Fooling the adults is immaterial.
Hugh Entwistle
View Profile
Regular user
177 Posts

Yes I see what you mean, but I meant really that the adults also get to have some fun. Not just enjoying the good laughs but witnessing some miracles that THEY can't figure out. Yes that may not be a factor to the repeat booking, but it would feel good inside to know that I fooled the adults as well as the children, its just a matter of pride... A bit silly I know but there it is
Hugh Entwistle
View Profile
Regular user
177 Posts

Im going to replace "Paper Balls over the Head" with Jeff Hobsons Balloon dog routine. Here's a link to those who don't know it, a very good trick, entertaining and a very uncanny and deceptive method. This can also tie in with a balloon swallow which is one of the things I was thinking of putting in, but after reading many of TonyB2009's posts that praise his balloon swallow, I've decided to give it a go, thanks Tony!
Hugh Entwistle
View Profile
Regular user
177 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAUo5vedXXw
this is Hobson's routine performed by another magician, its better when Jeff does it but still a funny trick Smile
Leland
View Profile
Inner circle
St Louis
1180 Posts

Profile of Leland
I've haven’t gotten much reaction out of a Cup and Balls routine for small kids. They don’t seem to get it or can’t follow the process. Maybe someone has a routine that has worked for them.
Life of Magic!
Hugh Entwistle
View Profile
Regular user
177 Posts

Yeah I'm not sure about the 'routine' either, but once you've started producing oranges from the cups and a finale of a melon from your hat - that could close your show. I would suggest a quick 'traditional cups and balls' and quickly get to the big stuff Smile
MichaelDouglas
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
766 Posts

Profile of MichaelDouglas
Quote:
On 2012-01-26 07:50, Hugh Entwistle wrote:
Yes I see what you mean, but I meant really that the adults also get to have some fun. Not just enjoying the good laughs but witnessing some miracles that THEY can't figure out. Yes that may not be a factor to the repeat booking, but it would feel good inside to know that I fooled the adults as well as the children, its just a matter of pride... A bit silly I know but there it is

Hi Hugh. You are wise in seeking out help here. Even so, experience will be your best teacher. After performing each routine a couple of times or so, you should be able to tell which are working well and which to replace. With many kid tricks, there is a level of mystery to them that many adults will not be able to figure out. You are right in giving some measure to thought to the adults in the audience. Even so, keep in mind that the adults in your audience are usually well entertained when they see the kids laughing their head's off. That alone will gain you their accolades and referrals.

Break a leg.
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
I don't really see fibre optics as a routine more a collection of moves to add to your own routine. After I studied the dvd I found I could do a Professor's nightmare routine that was a lot more fun using some of the ideas and moves, so I say it's a goer. But try to include the flashy parts that the children enjoy not a load of phases that you enjoy.

Younger children get a bit confused by cards and if they do recognise them tend to forget them. Good alternative include picture cards or also using a stack of blank cards and call them name badges and right a child's name on them.

I can't see Pointless capturing the imagination of children but maybe someone can prove me wrong. It seems a little small to see for bigger crowds too.

good luck,
George
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Cups and Balls can work for kids. Bill Malone does a version to a nautical rhyme, which a friend of mine (who performs as a pirate) does very well. It is a killer routine, that gets the adults as well.
A Show By Joe
View Profile
Elite user
Long Island
408 Posts

Profile of A Show By Joe
I agree with most. Pointless will just set the kids up to guess the explaination, and with that you set the tone of the show.

The paper balls over the head for kids will only work if you did it on stage. You can try 2 paper cups, one with slush powder for the kid, and the other for yourself. Pour water in both, have the child hold the cup over his head as do you and spin around at the same time. When you are out of his site, drink the water. Then face the audience, and turn your cup over, and then his over his head. Usually kids will keep quiet, because they want to see what will happen next.
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1695 Posts

Profile of Futureal
Quote:
The routine id for kids 8+, as for starting with pointless ect, I quote that the routines ARE NOT in order, pointless would be second last I think, finishing with cups and balls with production of a watermelon from hat.

In my opinion the card trick is really good as you can easily get away with the misdirection because 1, they are not expecting it to get to my shoe and the next phase doesn't use any misdirection at all, there are also many gags as well with the card trick. I am starting to agree with the paper balls over the head that it wouldnt work. However I believe that with changed presentation with the fiber optics routine it could be a really good trcik. ect do the moves acting as if you are not noticing. e.g YOu have 1 piece of rope and while you say, so kids, I have ONE rope, I do the cut move to make into two and they start yelling "YOUVE GOT TWO ROPES", "Sorry, I made a mistake there, lets just turn it into ONE piece of rope', you continue now with the ONE rope and repeat...

Why ask for advice if you're just going to disagree with any when you're given it?

Go do whatever tricks you like.
Hugh Entwistle
View Profile
Regular user
177 Posts

I am listening to advice and have changed some of the things in my routine and have changed many presentations of the tricks like pointless to be entertaining rather than challenging, don't accuse me of not listening to people because I have Smile

And in that message that you quote, I do aknowledge some of the critisisms and have agreed, maybe you should not jump to conclusions
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Quote:
On 2012-01-27 04:48, Futureal wrote:
Quote:

Why ask for advice if you're just going to disagree with any when you're given it?

Go do whatever tricks you like.

Forum advice is only useful to a certain degree if we don't know the context or the thinking behind the inclusion of some effects. I believe the OP was just adding some more information to help us give a more informed opinion onhis choice of effects.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » What do ya Think..... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL