The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Torn and Restored Card (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
xslider
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of xslider
I have seen this several times but I can't find a book for it, and just wondering if anyone can help.

Effect:
The card is selected, torn up into 4 pieces. It is then put back together one piece at a time.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Stefan S.
View Profile
Loyal user
235 Posts

Profile of Stefan S.
Drawing Room Deceptions by Guy Hollingworth!

The routine you are looking for is Reformation there are some different versions out on the market but mostly on video.

Cheers

Stefan

PS: Next time try the search button
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2110 Posts

Profile of marko
It could possibly be any number of different versions, but I'd recommend going to the original source, Guy Hollingworth's Reformation from his excellent book Drawing Room Deceptions.
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2766 Posts

Profile of Jordini
Thanks everybody. I had one of my questions asked w/out asking it! YES
sashain
View Profile
New user
Steve Shain
80 Posts

Profile of sashain
To: xslider

You indicate in one of your other posts that you are just beginning.

The other posters are trying to be helpful, but I am afraid they will lead you astray. The Hollingworth routine is in fact excellent, and is the version that motivated many others to develop their own methods. However, it is the most advanced, and most difficult (which is why other felt they had to modify it before they could do it). There are now a variety of methods to choose from, but all of these still require at least an intermediate level of skill.

I hope this does not discourage you. I suggest that you scout this forum for a while, looking for suggestions on books and/or effects that will build some basic knowledge and skill in both sleight of hand skill, and in presentation. Some suggestions, if you don't already own them are: Royal Road to Card Magic, Encyclopedia of Card Tricks, and any of the Karl Fulves Self-Working Tricks books.

Hope that helps,
Steve
Steve Shain
Houston, Texas
elmago
View Profile
Loyal user
Northridge- Los Angeles, CA
268 Posts

Profile of elmago
The Guy Hollingsworth method is the most difficult. More difficult is not neccessarily better. Check out "Reparation" by John Lovick. Its on video and eaiser to do. You get the same effect without having to be super-human. He explains why on the video and goes into some background on the effect. But easier is not an excuse to be lazy either. Work hard at everything you do, and explore your options. Good luck.

Miguel Rangel
"Excellence is not a single act; it's a habit" Shaq quoting Aristotle after winning NBA MVP.
HiveMind
View Profile
Veteran user
303 Posts

Profile of HiveMind
Torn by Daniel Garcia is very easy and VERY visual.
There is a video floating around somewhere of peter
eggink doing this almost exactly as Garcia teaches it.
I think you could find the performance and decide if
that is what you want to be doing. It is an easy
version of this effect, but that does not diminish its
power!
"Free will is an illusion." - B.F. Skinner
Zeiros
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Zeiros
I noticed that ETMCM#5 has Torn & Restored Card (J.C. Wagner) listed as one of the tricks, is Ammar's teaching of this any good? the other ETMCM videos that I own have been great, is this Torn and Restored effect up to scratch? Or would it be better learnt from elsewhere?
CLJ
View Profile
Loyal user
Singapore
281 Posts

Profile of CLJ
For a piece-by-piece restoration, Ripped and Restored or Torn by Daniel Garcia is your best bet. Both are easy and suit what you are looking for. (though both look very similar - Torn has a simplified, more convincing handling)
"Watch this, you ready now? Watch this, watch, watch, watch, watch now, watch closely, watch this, you watching now? Watch, watch..." - David Blaine
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2110 Posts

Profile of marko
Oh please- Guy's Reformation is no more difficult than the other versions (though it is more convincing). It's reputation has become much more intimidating than its actual difficulty, which is about the same as most of the knock-offs.
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
therntier
View Profile
Special user
681 Posts

Profile of therntier
JC Wagener's torn and restored card, although not a complete restoration, is very nice. It is significantly easier than some of the others mentioned here. If you are looking for something a little more difficult, I would recommend Ripped and Restored. It is a great effect. Torn is very similar, but I don't think is available on DVD yet.
Liam Jones
View Profile
Veteran user
384 Posts

Profile of Liam Jones
Reparation is a good torn and restored card effect Smile
xslider
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of xslider
Hmm, thanks a lot for all the comments. I will find those and will determine the difficulty myself, as everyone knows, difficulty level is just relative. I have seen some things where people keep insisting it's easy, but turns out to be very hard for me. If anyone has anymore, please feel free to add.

Thanks,
A.K.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Is the effort, practice and set up required worth it?I learnt Reparation but the reactions I got were luke warm at best. Have other workers got better reactions? The whole process of tearing up a card only to restore it piece by piece seems a rather clinical demonstration of pointless skill.
MJ Marrs
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1126 Posts

Profile of MJ Marrs
I think that one could rationalize many different, and entertaining, reasons for tearing up a card and restoring it.

When you think about it, why do spectators go wild over seeing a red silk disappear? Or a dollar float? Or you name it?

There's something beautiful about the phenomenon of "Restoration." I can't say for sure, but I'd reckon that one of the reasons that folks find this effect so magical, besides the obvious defying of physics, is that something that was damaged becomes "healed." Maybe this sort of translates to human conditions as well: A sick person becomes better or a broken relationship gets repaired. I'm sure that there are any number of ways to make this trick astonishing. Remember that Michael Skinner said that "presentation" is 90% of the routine.

Anyways, I learned "Torn" and it works very well. I've also learned the "Reformation," but I'm still working on mastering this wonderful routine.
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2766 Posts

Profile of Jordini
I like the one david Blaine did in one of his earlier specials. It's very easy, very convincing, and you should look into it. (I don't know where to find how to learn this, but it's very easy to pickup from the show if you watch it a couple of times.) Smile
totalpackage56
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of totalpackage56
MJ Marrs I couldn't agree with more. I personally enjoy Reformation, and Torn, but agreeing with the presentation is almost anything moniker, I firmly believe that with the right presentation, a torn and restored card using a simple DL could be just as amazing.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Quote:
On 2003-09-21 23:52, totalpackage56 wrote:
MJ Marrs I couldn't agree with more. I personally enjoy Reformation, and Torn, but agreeing with the presentation is almost anything moniker, I firmly believe that with the right presentation, a torn and restored card using a simple DL could be just as amazing.

Couldn't agree more!!!

Why then, should we learn the harder versions if a simple DL and GOOD presentation are equal?
xslider
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of xslider
Would you guys mind telling me what a DL is?
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2110 Posts

Profile of marko
Quote:
Is the effort, practice and set up required worth it?I learnt Reparation but the reactions I got were luke warm at best.

That's because the Reparation sucks.

Quote:
Have other workers got better reactions?

They're left in awe, in the deepest of deep astonishments. I would not perform any effect that did not garner me strong reactions, and this is the last card effect I perform in my act, because to follow it wih any other would be pointless.

Quote:
The whole process of tearing up a card only to restore it piece by piece seems a rather clinical demonstration of pointless skill.

Perhaps it's clinical, in a way (as in to a magician), but would you really consider the ability to mend that which has been destroyed a pointless skill?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Torn and Restored Card (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL