The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Where is our Art of Magic with Coins Going as a result of the Coinconvention (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
jerdunn
View Profile
Inner circle
1735 Posts

Profile of jerdunn
A few visual-magic highlights from LVMI and the Coinvention:

1) Chris Kenner doing his version of David Roth's Chink-a-Chink on the carpet. (And at the grubby San Remo hotel, anyone who touches the carpeting should immediately be given a dose of antibiotics and combat pay.) His hands float 6 inches above the coins, which appear to just melt from one location to another.

2) Chris Kenner doing (and generously showing his work and thinking on) Three Fly.

3) Chris Kenner performing Hellbound Spellbound, then teaching it.

(All three of these effects were shown out in the hallway, not in lectures or forums.)

4) Geoff Latta performing beautifully constructed routines with flawless, innovative techniques (most of which were new and unpublished). A really nice guy who has thought through every moment. Thank goodness Geoff will be issuing lecture notes very soon; you wouldn't want to learn these techniques wrong, cuz they're just so right!

5) David Roth doing his Tuning Fork and Planet routines, reminding us that pretty much everything he does looks like real magic. Many people noted that seeing David Roth perform in the late 1970s and 1980s galvanized them in their pursuit of magic that truly looks magical.

Cheers,
Jerry
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
I just posted a detailed article with 55 pictures on the Coinvention at my website below.

Enjoy.

Dan
Click to visit:
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Wonderful to see dan. wish I was able to make it.
:*(

Thanks,
Frank
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Chris "linkster" Watson
View Profile
Special user
England
564 Posts

Profile of Chris
Cheers for the write up, looking forward to the notes/ dvds
Chris

Didn't make it Smile
MrCyNic
View Profile
Loyal user
England
238 Posts

Profile of MrCyNic
Excellent write-up, Dan.

Looks like the DVD's going to be an absolute necessity. I only wish I could have been there.

Still, there's no way I'm missing the next one!

Cheers,

Cy.
Darrin Cook
View Profile
Special user
621 Posts

Profile of Darrin Cook
Thanks for the report, Dan. I see all the legends packed into a single room and I want to cry that I missed it. Next time!
tedski
View Profile
Special user
New Jersey
792 Posts

Profile of tedski
I have to say kudos to Dan for his documentary for the unfortunates that were unable to attend, myself included. Also, thanks to all of you who made it happen - it appears this was a landmark event in many ways. I hope the organizers know the fruits of their labors are appreciated (and I hope they do it next year!!!)

Smile
mystre71
View Profile
Inner circle
martinsburg west virginia
1693 Posts

Profile of mystre71
There was talk at the COINvention of only doing it every other year. I personally would like to see it EVERY year and if at all possible last more then just one day.

Or even a 3 day COINvention by itself. I enjoyed every moment of the LVMI/COINvention but by the time the COINvention got underway I was burned out from not sleeping.

What do the rest of you think?

Best
Joe
Walk around coin box work check it out here https://www.magicalmystries.com/products
Clayman
View Profile
Loyal user
New Jersey
243 Posts

Profile of Clayman
Thanks Dan. I wish I could have been there. Your write-up was Excellent!
"A flash of silvery light ..and it was gone."
James Harrison
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
762 Posts

Profile of James Harrison
I think a two day Coin vention would be good, maybe even on its own, but the success of the Coinvention may be part in parcel because it was so close to the LVMI.

I could be wrong.
Joe Givan
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of Joe Givan
Hey Gang! It was sooo great to be a part of the first Coinvention! I was slated to perform, but ended up bowing out due to too much scheduling for the DVD as well as an over abundance of talent! And what talent it was. All I can say is that I reflect the many thoughts already posted - great to see so many styles and ideas. Surprised to see so much recent innovation on the Downs palm/other similar techniques that are clearly practical and useful. As the director of Garrett Thomas's first video (second to follow soon), I am happy to see that he is influencing others with his thoughts.

Was extremely impressed with Michael Rubenstein. I had not seen him before. He’s very smooth and natural. "Quiet" coin work - killer. Roth was "on". It was so cool to see his stuff so polished, clear, and clean.

Kenner's got something coming up you just won't believe.

Also saw a lot of interest in using the rattle gimmick. Both "Dave's" (Roth and Neighbors) have excellent ideas using this awesome device, and I think that many more subtle but lethal things will come after this convention. It was received quite well after my lecture, and I'm not nearly the master that they are when it comes to using the rattle gimmick. I can hardly wait to see where others take the element of "sound" in their routines. If anyone still needs one (Neighbor's version), I have a few left for $30.

Anyway, that's more than my 2 cents. I’m Looking forward to seeing you all again - Joe
Jonathan R
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of Jonathan R
Joe (or anyone else who knows),

Can you give us a brief description of who will be featured in the DVD? Thanks Smile
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Hi Maverick,
My Routine On the COINvention DVD will be :
An International One card Reverse Changer Assembly!
And the Change to Chinese coins at the end happens with out the card!

David Neighbors
The Coinjurer
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
I was pretty groggy, but I think the following are on the COINvention DVD:

Curtis Kam: Performance of the Goblet routine, from PoS2 and performance and explanation of "The Coin Trick That Cannot Be Explained".

K. Harbottle: Performance and explanation of "Slapping 4 Compliments" the routine he was using to stun the faithful throughout the coinvention. Features a click pass that will make your fingers smile with evil glee, and of course, the slapping of coins into and out of existence.

Doug Brewer: Two really cool numbers, one combining fire with the coin cup, and Harry Potter,

Garrett Thomas: Something impossibly sneaky--his personal take on "Hanging Coins"

Mark Strivings: Mentalism with coins!

Roger Klause: Something devious, I hope he really tipped the work on this.

And many, many more things Joe collected working 24/4, enough for two DVD's. And look for more coin goodies on the LVMI DVD, including my standup/parlor combo of the Vernon and Kaps "Coins in Glass" routines.

This stuff will rock, and we'll let you know when it's available, trust me.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Joe's post made me realize I missed a really cool coin bit in my write-up.

I just added this to my coinvention coverage:

"In Joe Givan's lecture, he had a wonderful coin routine that was based off of David Neighbors work with a coin rattle box, and a three coin hook gimmick. The combination of sound with the ability to obtain and ditch three coins with ease makes for some very interesting combinations of effects."
Click to visit:
Joe Givan
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of Joe Givan
Hey Coin Gods -

Thanks for posting material that will be featured on the DVD. There is going to be much more, but sooo much footage to review that it is hard to say what will all be included. I'll let everyone know ASAP. Too much to do until mid October...

There were some excellent moments during the panel discussions (run by Curtis) that I believe are worthy of being on the DVD as well, so it will be more than just a "teach a trick" thing. Could end up being a three DVD set, as there is so much great thinking going on here.

Dan - glad you mentioned the Neighbors "Multiple Miser's Dream". It's a rockin' piece that deserves more attention. It's included in the manuscript with the Rattle Gimmick, and Dave has just released a new book with ten routines for the gimmick - all "in the hands" no table required! Perfect for strolling.

See you folks later - Joe
remco de wolf
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of remco de wolf
Thanks Dan for your wonderful article about the coinvention. I wish I could have been there. I am looking forward for the release of the DVD's recorded there.

I was just wondering if Chris Kenner tipped his (legendary) method for the last vanish?

Best wishes,

Remco
martysh
View Profile
Special user
Greenville,SC
527 Posts

Profile of martysh
Guys ...thanks so much for all your input... all the comments so much appreciated which we who were on the outside of the event looking in were so hungry to hear about...

One awkward crazy question ... and it is coming from someone so obsessed with the medium as anyone else.

Even though it was one day of this... was it at some point difficult to pay attention to what was said because of the precise and continued nature of the discussions? I am curious to think that such intensity on such a technically demanding subject matter might have gotten maybe just a bit too much at times?...(the answers might have repercussions to future like kind events and to their continued success.)

Or rephrased... was the genius of different individuals enough to sustain the interest of the crowd at ALL times?

Just curious as to how one might have experienced it all.

Marty Shapiro
still in Greenville, SC
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Remco,

Chris tipped the last vanish to everyone there, but then swore us to secrecy with a blood oath. Only the people that were at the Coinvention will ever know the method.

Marty,

The discussions were superb and held attention very well. As you can see from my review, it wasn't just talking heads, but discussion with coins in hand - so there was a lot of "showing" what was being discussed.

I think the "3 Fly" discussion for example could have gone at least another half hour or more. It seems we ran out of time on all of the discussions.

Remco,

Just kidding. He did not tip it.

Dan
Click to visit:
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Hi Joe,
Thanks! The new book on the rattle gimmick is called "Sound Routines" And it goes for $20.00! E-Mail or P.M. me if you are interested!!! Just so much going on! We needed more than one day to see it all!!!
And we did not get to do the “Matrix Madness” stuff!
Oh well, maybe next time! So we have to do this again next year and make it a 2 day convention by itself! Being the 4th day of a convention is just too much time with out sleep!

Best David Neighbors
The Coinjurer
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Where is our Art of Magic with Coins Going as a result of the Coinconvention (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL