We Remember The Magic Caf We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Is the Mullica wallet good? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
erictan8888
View Profile
Special user
Singapore
517 Posts

Profile of erictan8888
Hi. I saw the advert on the Mullica wallet. It says that a spectator selects and signs a card and returns it to the deck, the deck is shuffled and the performer reaches into his pocket and removes a wallet. He opens it up and there is a message that says to open up a smaller wallet inside this big wallet.

The smaller wallet is removed, unzipped, and surprise.... the signed card is inside this smaller zipped wallet.

The description is found here:
http://www.ronjo.com/Merchant2/merchant.......ry_Code=

It also says no palming, no forcing, no duplicate cards. Is this a good buy? Is it easy to perform? Is it practical? Is it worth the money?

Please advise
Thanks
eric Smile
"Fill you life with magic by making magic a part of your life." by eric tan.
Uli Weigel
View Profile
Inner circle
Berlin, Germany
1478 Posts

Profile of Uli Weigel
Eric,
You're asking so many questions about this and that product, that I like to cite Darwin Ortiz from a thread of his "Guest of the month" appearance here in the café:

"The consumerist mentality in magic today is one of the greatest threats to our art. I can’t stress enough that magic should be about studying and working, not about an endless round of buying and discarding."
erictan8888
View Profile
Special user
Singapore
517 Posts

Profile of erictan8888
Uli, I understand where you are coming from and I appreciate it. I don't want to do the discarding, that's why I posted the query on whether the product is good before purchasing. I guess even you went through the purchasing and discarding stage.

I was just hoping that someone who has the effect might want to share his or her thoughts on the trick and whether it is worth buying.

I do believe when a review of a product is posted on the forum, it gives many magicians food for thought to decide whether they should purchase that trick or not.

Not all magicians use normal decks only. I guess most would admit they have to rely on gimmicks and most, if not all, would very likely have bought and discarded magic before.

My aim by asking is not to threaten the art of magic, my aim of asking if the product is good is to allow myself and others who read the thread to make a better decision on whether to purchase the trick or not and in the process, help to reduce the "buying and discarding". Once we know the product is worth buying, we will end up "buying and using" the trick..

This, I believe, would help to promote the art of magic, and not threaten its very existance.

eric
Bobcape
View Profile
Elite user
Rapid City, SD
470 Posts

Profile of Bobcape
Hi Eric,
The Mullica wallet is a wonderful product that deserves a fantastic presentation. It is used by lots of big name performers. Eugene Burger has a video called "Gourmet Close-Up Magic" where he goes into great detail on its use. I received one-on-one advice on its use from him at Master Class and then saw him use it. It's a very impressive tool to amaze an audience. But it does take a dedication to learn, practice and routine a presentation. Decide first if you have a spot in your performance for a card to wallet effect and then how you plan to present it. The Mullica wallet has the advantage of no palming which allows you to concentrate on the presentation and less on the technique.
By the way, even though the Mullica wallet is a large, breast pocket style wallet, Eugene performs it from his back pocket.
Best of luck,
Bob

(edited)
Be Amazed! + Enjoy The Magic!
Steve Pellegrino
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

Profile of Steve Pellegrino
Eric,

I agree with Bob's comments. I've been using the Mullica Wallet professionally for almost 20 years. I have tried other wallets, but for my presentation style, the Mullica Wallet works perfectly for me. I've closed many of my close-up shows with this effect. With the right presentation it's very strong.

Burger's "Gourmet Close-up Magic" video actually has two handlings for the wallet - Eugene's and a completely different handling from David Parr. With David's handling, a post-it note with prediction information is on the signed card in the wallet. David did this for me live a couple of years before he published it and it is incredible! He fooled me with something I had been doing for years! You can also find David's handling in his book "Brain Food" and the Jerry Mentzer book "Card To Wallet".
Jeff Haas
View Profile
Special user
919 Posts

Profile of Jeff Haas
Darwin Ortiz also has a couple of routines that use it in a slightly different way than normal; check "Cardshark."

Jeff
Cabrera
View Profile
Special user
Seattle
513 Posts

Profile of Cabrera
I have found that most so-called Mullica wallets today are not up to the normal standards as far as the leather goes. There is that extra something that needs to be done, or it won't work well at all, and you'll think that it's really you and be disappointed. How do I know? I've had 3 Mullica wallets, and now I have it down. Pm for details
"The quilt of life is woven with many different threads"
Markymark
View Profile
Inner circle
1632 Posts

Profile of Markymark
I had to break mine in real good! I once saw someone perform this so slow and carefully that I wanted to hit him!. Talk about telegraphing!
''In memory of a once fluid man,crammed and distorted by the classical mess'' -Bruce Lee
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2231 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
I think you are refering to the BMK wallet. Anyway, there is only one card trick I do and it's the Card to Wallet. And this is the wallet I use. It's perfect!
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
Steve Pellegrino
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

I've heard several complaints about the BKM Wallet. Regarding a "real" Mullica Wallet, I cannot imagine there being any problems unless the wallets are being supplied by a different manufacturer. In almost 20 years of using this wallet, I've owned 2. The first one I bought with the instructions, the second wallet I gimmicked myself with a store bought wallet. The wallet itself is a common checkbook wallet made by Rolfs.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2003-09-21 14:47, Steve Pellegrino wrote:
I've heard several complaints about the BKM Wallet. Regarding a "real" Mullica Wallet, I cannot imagine there being any problems unless the wallets are being supplied by a different manufacturer. In almost 20 years of using this wallet, I've owned 2. The first one I bought with the instructions, the second wallet I gimmicked myself with a store bought wallet. The wallet itself is a common checkbook wallet made by Rolfs.

I did the same thing with a Rolfs. The leather is beautiful.

Chris
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Magic_Mailman
View Profile
New user
Portland,Oregon
53 Posts

Profile of Magic_Mailman
I like my Mullica wallet really because of how easy it is to use. Well worth the price.

Smile
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Before you buy any card to wallet, I would suggest learning how to bottom cop a card and produce it from your pocket.

Once you can do that flawlessly, and without even thinking about the "move" -- then think about the type of wallet you want to find the card in.

The original LePaul routine didn't use a wallet at all, but a stack of sealed envelopes.

I firmly believe the bottom cop is 10 times easier and 10 times more baffling that a top palm.

Believe me... Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
erictan8888
View Profile
Special user
Singapore
517 Posts

Profile of erictan8888
Hi pete, I believe david regal also has a similar trick called special delivery....
I guess the effect sounds similar... but is the method the same?

does special delivery use the bottome cop? (i am not asking for the secret... if answering this question gives the secret away, then please do not answer it...)

oh...where can I learn bottom cop? I am sorry, but I have not heard of it before...

eric Smile
Steve Dela
View Profile
Special user
U.K. London
961 Posts

Profile of Steve Dela
Hi guys, alot of todays proffessional magicians are using the O'connell wallets, these are supposed to be of amazing quality!
you can see them at http://www.wizardcraft.com
all the best
Steve Dela
http://stevedela.com
Associate Member of the Inner Magic Circle
FFFF
Steve Pellegrino
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

Quote:
On 2003-09-23 02:17, Pete Biro wrote:
Before you buy any card to wallet, I would suggest learning how to bottom cop a card and produce it from your pocket.

Once you can do that flawlessly, and without even thinking about the "move" -- then think about the type of wallet you want to find the card in.

The original LePaul routine didn't use a wallet at all, but a stack of sealed envelopes.

I firmly believe the bottom cop is 10 times easier and 10 times more baffling that a top palm.

Believe me... Smile

Pete brings up an excellent point. As much as I love the Mullica Wallet, there is potentially one small flaw in the handling which is the deck and the wallet come in contact for a moment. Using a wallet has become common place, however, as Pete mentions the original LePaul routine didn't use a wallet.

The late GREAT Jimmy Grippo also did a card to envelope (hopefully there will be more about Grippo coming from Geno Munari). Reed McClintock also does a card in envelope. David Regal's "Special Delivery" is a killer routine that was influenced by the Mullica Wallet handling. Also there is Bob Kohler's "Black Envelope" which is very strong as well - without a wallet.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Bottom Cop is a bottom palm. Hold the deck in your left hand. With left hand ring finger, buckle the bottom card SLIGHTLY... then grip deck with right hand, thumb at rear, fingers out over the front and hand deck to someone to your right, or just set the deck down... BUT AT THE SAME TIME... your left hand, with the card off the bottom, just drops dead to your side.

You have "copped" the bottom card.

Don't try to PALM it, don't worry about leaks, just do it.

Then, as I do, I stick it into a wallet in my rear trouser pocket. Or if impromptu, I just produce it from my pocket.

Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
TrcikPony
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of TrcikPony
Quote:
On 2003-09-23 22:37, Pete Biro wrote:
Bottom Cop is a bottom palm. Hold the deck in your left hand. With left hand ring finger, buckle the bottom card SLIGHTLY... then grip deck with right hand, thumb at rear, fingers out over the front and hand deck to someone to your right, or just set the deck down... BUT AT THE SAME TIME... your left hand, with the card off the bottom, just drops dead to your side.

You have "copped" the bottom card.

Don't try to PALM it, don't worry about leaks, just do it.

Then, as I do, I stick it into a wallet in my rear trouser pocket. Or if impromptu, I just produce it from my pocket.

Smile

Brilliant!!

I did it last night over 10 times at the bar. Just pulled it out of my pocket.

Thanks, pete!!
PossumSlimm
View Profile
New user
MN
79 Posts

Profile of PossumSlimm
Pure gold. Mine does full-time duty as a regular wallet, and after 10 years looks and functions as it did the day I bought it. Pete's tip on the cop is also OTM and especially suitable for the Mullica wallet. Highest recommendation.
ChopCup
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of ChopCup
Mullica's Miracle Wallet is brilliant, but very large. Draun's Real Man's Wallet looks like an everyday wallet and is excellent. But, I find Mesika's wallet the best. The card comes out of a zippered compartment-folded. A real fooler dooler!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Is the Mullica wallet good? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL