The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Music (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Peter_turner
View Profile
V.I.P.
Bradford, West Yorkshire
1355 Posts

Profile of Peter_turner
I am looking for a new opening piece for my show, I was wondering if any of you guys had some pieces that would fit the bill?

Pete
Lefebure
View Profile
Loyal user
Lille, France
202 Posts

Profile of Lefebure
It depends on the general mood of your show. Generally I select baroque music. Organ is also a good idea but can sound a bit too impressive or creepy.
Haendel's Sarabande, Schubert's trio in e flat po 100 (also called Andante) and Saint Saens'Danse macabre are perfect according to me.
Good luck !
Myke Phillips
View Profile
Inner circle
Myke Phillips
1213 Posts

Profile of Myke Phillips
Clubbed to death sounds great. I used to use this to build a crowd in the streets of London.

Myke
Myke Phillips
View Profile
Inner circle
Myke Phillips
1213 Posts

Profile of Myke Phillips
Teardrop by massive attack.

Myke
Myke Phillips
View Profile
Inner circle
Myke Phillips
1213 Posts

Profile of Myke Phillips
And, only time by Enya.

Myke
Jamie D
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2292 Posts

Profile of Jamie D
Nox Arcana has some fantastic pieces that you should check out.

Darren
Twitter @darjames
magicman29
View Profile
Inner circle
hertfordshire
1245 Posts

Profile of magicman29
Nuvole Bianche ludovico einaudi is a brilliant piece of music!

Kieran
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Why not make it part of the opener? leave a kazoo on everyone's seat and announce that you'd like them to introduce you via a tune of some sort then they all start kazoo'ing the same tune... it leaves them hands free to clap too... I'm sure you can think of a method to do it..

sorry for turning kazoo into a verb...

EDIT - and obviously have the tune predicted too, maybe right at the end of the show...but had been in full view from the start....
I've asked to be banned
actorcoop
View Profile
Veteran user
337 Posts

Profile of actorcoop
Anonanimal by Andrew Bird.. I love literally everything he does. This has a very mysterious/reveling at human kind sort of vibe.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CRiR52YtjE

Everything in it's right place by Radiohead.. It's ambient, dark, awesome. Lyric from this song? "There are two colors in my head."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OddXCja1N4E

In the Waiting Line by Zero 7.. It's groovy and sets a cool mood
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tZlu4wP4p

or Mozart's Requiem- for the more.. dramatic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi8vJ_lMxQI&feature=related

Of course everyone's examples probably fit their OWN onstage mood and personality. These are the songs I would personally open my show with.

Cheers,
Cooper
*I knew you were going to read this
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Ensure you use royalty free music only unless you get a license or the venue has a license. Fines can be expensive. ASCAP came out to a venue I use to work at. I dropped using music after that.
actorcoop
View Profile
Veteran user
337 Posts

Profile of actorcoop
^^ Yes, that is a REALLY important point!
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3332 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
What about he opening 'heartbeat' sequence to Pink Floyd's "Breathe" from Dark Side of the Moon?
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2674 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
I'm amazed no one has mentioned the legality of playing music in shows. If you haven't cleared it and/or the venue doesn't have a blanket licence you can be fined and the venue will suffer too.
phillsmiff
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1798 Posts

Profile of phillsmiff
In Leicester we have performed at PRS licensed venues and played tracks that were in copyright - hopefully that was OK, but...
If I was working on a commercial act that I could take to any venue though, I would probably start with this site:
http://incompetech.com/m/c/royalty-free/......undtrack
The stuff is Creative Commons licensed, so you have only to give him a credit (I actually quite like the idea of saying "and thanks to Kevin Macleod who composed tonight's music") although I would click the 'donate' button on his site once his efforts had helped me make some money.

What is great is that the music is very filmic, and that particular section of the site has stuff in it that is specifically appropriate for film scores. Its a great resource.

Phill
The new Elysian Duets, marked cards featuring my unique Optical Marking System:
-+: https://phillsmithcreative.com/products/elysian-duets :+-
innercirclewannabe
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1597 Posts

Profile of innercirclewannabe
That is a great link. Thanks for sharing.
Tá sé ach cleas má dhéanann tú sé cuma mhaith ar cheann.
RichardShure
View Profile
Veteran user
344 Posts

Profile of RichardShure
Asking other mentalists to give you music for your show.... It seems like we are just asking to create cookie cutter mentaliam shows.

It's your show...you must spend the time searching through music...exploring and finding the correct tune that punctuates YOUR performance....not, hey, don't want to do any work on this looking for this music stuff...give me your ideas or music.

How about "What's on your mind" by the Information Society. I think that has been used by many mentalists and magicians doing a mind reading piece. It must be good if everyone is sharing it and using it.
Peter_turner
View Profile
V.I.P.
Bradford, West Yorkshire
1355 Posts

Profile of Peter_turner
Thanks guys, I know the royalty laws Smile

You have all been great help!

Pete
actorcoop
View Profile
Veteran user
337 Posts

Profile of actorcoop
Here's another option I've put a lot of thought into- Have somebody WRITE a piece FOR your show.

Granted, I go to a music school so this idea is very accessible to myself. However, if you've a friend or if YOU compose music, this could be a great opportunity add another 100% original artistic element to your show.

On a personal note, I'm in the beginning stages of putting a show together, and I believe this is the direction I'm going to take for the music. I plan on collaborating with some musicians to write appropriate music for a mentalism show.

Cheers,
Cooper
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2674 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
I wrote some music once.
phillsmiff
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1798 Posts

Profile of phillsmiff
Given that you are looking specifically for a short 20 - 30 second piece at most, you would be surprised what you can do with Garageband. It seems perfect for creating exciting intros that don't really go anywhere...
Phill
The new Elysian Duets, marked cards featuring my unique Optical Marking System:
-+: https://phillsmithcreative.com/products/elysian-duets :+-
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Music (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL