The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Shattered (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

WeiserSide1
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
534 Posts

Profile of WeiserSide1
Does anyone own this?..if so how do they like it?
http://www.hanklee.org/xcart/product.php?productid=7531
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
john wills
View Profile
Special user
939 Posts

Profile of john wills
Hi,
On You Tube you can also find
a number of films where it goes WRONG.
Be careful with this effect !!
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
There are some nasty smash and stab effects, but Shattered cannot go wrong. There is no way to hurt yourself or a spectator with the props supplied. This is the ONLY effect of this type that I know if that is 100% safe.

Jim
Aaron Smith Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1447 Posts

Profile of Aaron Smith Magic
I LOVE this effect. It is my closer for every stand-up show I do. As Jim mentioned, it is 100% safe and very convincing. I highly recommend anything that Scott Alexander has released.
Mad Jack
View Profile
Regular user
195 Posts

Profile of Mad Jack
I do this also and it is pretty good if done well. One downfall of this effect is that (believe it or not) all paper bags are slightly different (different wrinkles, in different places, etc.) and that might actually be enough to "tip off" the audience or actually make them think that you somehow know where the bottle is by studying the bags carefully. Magic Makers makes a new version with a spike that is supposed to be safe as well. In this version you use styro cups to cover the spike and the other blocks. I'm thinking of getting this version so I don't have to deal with the bags. It costs $250 and you can find a video of it online. Does anyone have an opinion of this version?

MJ
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
I think the spike version is made by Randi Rain. It should be an excellent product, plus she stands by her stuff 100%. It's essentially the same set-up, but with spikes instead of bottles.

Jim
randirain
View Profile
Inner circle
Fort Worth, TX
1650 Posts

Profile of randirain
And it's a little cheaper than $250.
http://www.t2sterile.randirain.com
Scott Alexander
View Profile
V.I.P.
1471 Posts

Profile of Scott Alexander
Weiserside1

Pick your poison...Spikes or Bottles, both are wicked....

In fact, Randi's version is sort of a spin off of Shattered. (If Shattered was All in the Family, then T2Sterile is the Jeffersons)

I think you should get both! In fact I'm getting Randi's to see her work on it. Looks cool!!!

-Scott
-Scott

Visit my PRO MAGIC SHOP

www.scottalexander.bigcartel.com

Website

www.scottalexandermagic.com
randirain
View Profile
Inner circle
Fort Worth, TX
1650 Posts

Profile of randirain
That was really nice Scott. Thanks. Smile
M Sini
View Profile
Inner circle
1359 Posts

Profile of M Sini
I have Randi's and couldn't be happier with it. Well made, very deceptive, well though out, great price, great instruction and great service....I think I covered everything.
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2597 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
I have had my own Staple Gun Russian Roulette routine I my repertoire for some years now but I have been considering something that might play a bit bigger for a while. One of the factors that was important to me was that the selection process should be such that even if you wanted to hurt yourself you couldn't. This is the only real meaning of 'safe' in this kind of effect.

That narrowed the field down to Shattered, Nailed, the Pain Game, and T2.

All appear to be good well made and deceptive products and routines so which to chose and why?

As I disliked the idea of having to actually shatter a bottle for every show I decided against shattered.

Nailed looked good but doesn't allow for the spectator to be directly involved in the elimination process. This was important for my routining and so that took Nailed out of the frame.

The Pain Game was a definite contender but as I thought more about doing the routine I realised that the paper bags would need to be pretty much pristine and kept as such throughout the show until required. A slight dent or fold in one if noticed by the audience might impact on the perception of the effect. While for most this probably wouldn't be a problem it was something I wasn't keen on and so I set the pain game aside.

T2 allows for the spike to be shown to be fierce and solid at the outset. While the rest of the set up does, to some small degree, need to be 'set', it is a much easier and smaller consideration keeping three reasonably robust styrofoam cups hidden and looking pristine than it is opened out paper bags. T2 allows also for the spectator to completely control the elimination process.

So I opted for T2

T2 arrived a short while ago and the props are well made, and well packaged. The accompanying dvd covers the workings and shows some very nice handling that wasn't immediately obvious to me until I watch the dvd.

I'm looking forward to putting this in my act but at the moment I would be happy to recommend it to anyone who has the same requirements from this sort of routine as I have laid out here.
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
Scott Alexander
View Profile
V.I.P.
1471 Posts

You bet Randi!!

Im thinking of doing multiple dangerous objects and cant wait to see what you've got.

Thanks,
-Scott
-Scott

Visit my PRO MAGIC SHOP

Website

Scott Alexander
View Profile
V.I.P.
1471 Posts

Got Randi's trick a while back and just had a chance to look it over. It is well made and like Shattered you would have to be a total nudge to hurt yourself on it. Nice job!

Found some footage of Shattered I did for a mostly international crowd. I don't do this all the time but it works well to music in that situation. Something different. Enjoy!

-Scott

http://themagicjuice.blogspot.com/

or

http://youtu.be/DbZeTkBCat8
-Scott

Visit my PRO MAGIC SHOP

Website

John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2012-01-31 13:44, randirain wrote:
That was really nice Scott. Thanks. Smile

Which part ... the part about the Jeffersons? Or the fact he is buying your product? Did he ever buy it?
Brian Lehr
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Canada
1605 Posts

Profile of Brian Lehr
Quote:
On 2012-02-01 13:00, Sealegs wrote:

The Pain Game was a definite contender but as I thought more about doing the routine I realised that the paper bags would need to be pretty much pristine and kept as such throughout the show until required. A slight dent or fold in one if noticed by the audience might impact on the perception of the effect. While for most this probably wouldn't be a problem it was something I wasn't keen on and so I set the pain game aside.

Since the audience member is the one directing the magician as to which bag to crush with his hand, how would variations in the bags make a difference?

Brian
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2482 Posts

Profile of Robert M
IMHO, this is the absolute best version of the Russian Roulette / Smash & Stab effect. I don't have Randi's trick, though.

Back in 2004, I posted that I thought "Shattered" was the best trick of the year. Just make sure the situation is right - lighting, etc.

Robert
stephaniebeach
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of stephaniebeach
So...question:
Do you think this trick is appropriate for a Family Show?
The ages could be as young as 5.

Could it be MADE appropriate?

I have a stage show this Friday and this is one of the tricks I wanted to do.

I would not make the act dark although my theme is "Can a magician cheat fate?".
I use a large (Creative magic) die that someone will throw indicating which bag to smash.

I'm prepared to use a substitute for the bottles: Eggs.
But it's not as dramatic.
StephanieBeachMagic.com
Making your events Magical
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Your show is already over so I hoped you used the eggs.

Jim
stephaniebeach
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of stephaniebeach
Nope show is not over.
It is this Friday.
And I am going to use the eggs and not the glass bottles.
However I do have a 7 PM family show and for that one I've
already advertise the effect and Scott's needles illusion.
This way no parent can say that they didn't expect it.
And no little kid under eight should be at the show at 7 PM.
Meanwhile thank you so much for your reply
Stephanie
StephanieBeachMagic.com
Making your events Magical
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Shattered (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL