The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » THE INVISIBLE DECK!!!! (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1745 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Quote:
On 2012-01-30 09:18, Christopher Lyle wrote:
In 30 years of performing the Invisible Deck, I have NEVER had anyone ask me to see the cards when I'm done...EVER!

Myself As a Professional who works the corporate & Hotel Market I couldn't agree more with Chris's comments above,
Ive never had anyone ask to see the deck in many years as I think if your handling is natural and entertaining
theres no reason to even warrant inspection....
whitesonora
View Profile
New user
France
33 Posts

Profile of whitesonora
Quote:
On 2012-01-30 06:39, Hugh Entwistle wrote:
Hey guys, everyone knows that the invisible deck is one of the most impossible and most awesome tricks in magic

The effect is NOT impossible.
You're going against probabilities but it is possible.
Having said that, it IS awesome Smile
Tim Dowd
View Profile
Special user
...Making the Magic Happen!
942 Posts

Profile of Tim Dowd
I use one joker face down on the deck so when I take the cards out of the box I disgard the joker by placing it face up on the empty box. Of course you have to turn the cards the correct way before you disgard the joker. After splitting the deck at the reversed card and placing the face down card on the table (or in someone's hand) I place the right portion under the left so I can turn the pack over to show a card back... As they pick up the chosen card for the revelation I cop the joker face to face with the bottom card and turn my hand palm upwards, joker uppermost, then transfer the pack to the right hand. I take the card back to thunderous applause and lay it on my left palm face down and place the rest back on top... ID with joker face down on top replace in the box and put it away... Never been asked to show the deck as they have seen it the whole way through...

If they did ask I would have a temper tantrum, throw myself on the floor and start crying... Gets them every time.
Timothy Dowd
http://www.timothydowd.com
These are my points of view; I accept no responsibility for your interpretation of what I just said...
Lundonia
View Profile
Veteran user
refuses to read more than
321 Posts

Profile of Lundonia
Quote:
On 2012-02-08 22:21, dduane wrote:
Forgive me if this is a little off topic... I don't use my ID, because it's not r****h enough. I know how to handle the cards, but they slip too easily. Is there a r****hing fluid you would recommend that will solve this?

Thank you... Dennis

I don't have a recommendation for a particular brand but I've roughed up a couple of ID's with regular roughing fluid that you can buy at any dealer with excellent result. It's only natural that the roughness wears off after a while and then you just need to apply some RF. Smile

I'm probably not using my ID nearly as much as I should, thanks for the inspiration everybody! Smile
"Only two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity - and i'm not sure about the former" - Albert Einstein
www.jensmagi.se
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3370 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Tim Dowd,

Why bother with the Joker at all? I simply pull the deck out of the box with the correct side face up, spread to the correct card and place it on the table. In the process the deck is cut in a very natural mannor which allows me to show a back as I place the cards in the box.

I've never understood what the presense of the joker adds to the Invisible deck.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Tim Dowd
View Profile
Special user
942 Posts

Profile of Tim Dowd
Hi Mike, I have jokers in all my decks, consistency is one reason, and I can use it as explained. Glad you're different, we don't want a world full of Tim Dowd's
Timothy Dowd
http://www.timothydowd.com
These are my points of view; I accept no responsibility for your interpretation of what I just said...
MichaelDouglas
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
766 Posts

Profile of MichaelDouglas
Thanks for the insight on the ID guys. I'll use it more now.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
I agree with the joker being in the deck. 1) once in a while some fool says he picked a joker. Of course you find the joker in seconds.
2) The back of the card shows when you take it out with the odd side up, so you have a convincer that the deck has backs.
3) You have to take the joker out if they pick an odd card, so it reinforces that the deck is a real deck.
4) The joker helps you remember which side of the deck to take out.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
KarstenMeyerhoff
View Profile
New user
Germany
89 Posts

Profile of KarstenMeyerhoff
Quote:
On 2012-01-30 06:39, Hugh Entwistle wrote:
[...]
What are your thoughts on cleanups for the invisible deck
[...]

Why not pretend to take a deck from a production box shown empty -
it's an invisible deck after all. Do the first part of the usual
ID-routine (hand over the "invisible deck" to the spectator, have
him/her pantomime to take out a card, remember it and re-insert it
face-down deck, ...) and take back the "invisible deck" and put in
back in the "empty" production box. After that, make the invisible
deck visible by producing it from the box, show that the spectators
card is actually reversed in the previously invisible deck.
Then, put everything back in the production box and make the
deck invisible again by once again showing the production box
empty.

Patter could be something along the lines of: As a magician/conjurer/
illusionist/mentalist/... you can see the invisible deck and for a
certain period of time you can share that ability with your spectators.
brandon90
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta
704 Posts

Profile of brandon90
Quote:
On 2012-01-30 09:18, Christopher Lyle wrote:
In 30 years of performing the Invisible Deck, I have NEVER had anyone ask me to see the cards when I'm done...EVER!

That's the good thing I think about the invisible deck, after the effect is done you are technicially "clearly" showing the deck is "normal" and the selected card is the only face up one. I too have never had anyone ask to see the deck, which you think they would. A great and beautiful effect that will always be classic and one of the greatest pieces of magic.

-Brandon
CardC
View Profile
Regular user
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico
158 Posts

Profile of CardC
Or just learn Kolossial Killer and forget about the deck...

Haha, sorry I'm just in love with KK right now.

In Michael Vincent's Classic Magic DVD's he teaches the proper way to remove the cards from the box, and the proper way to put them in the box, once you realize the practicality of this method, remember which side is which is easy: the backs of the cards face the side of the box where the 10 of hearts is showing (in the new decks) or where the card back pattern is (old bike decks)

K
be happy
Dorianmagic
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of Dorianmagic
Quote:
On 2012-02-08 22:21, dduane wrote:
Forgive me if this is a little off topic... I don't use my ID, because it's not r****h enough. I know how to handle the cards, but they slip too easily. Is there a r****hing fluid you would recommend that will solve this?

Thank you... Dennis

I use Testers dull coat to make ID's and other effects using this principle. The trick is to use it sparingly - In one move, spray across 5 or 6 cards. Experiment a little and you'll find the right combination. Alan's tip on applying Cashmere Bouquet soap to the smooth sides is also a good one. I used to use Simonize. Don't put the ID away, it's a great trick.
jimvines
View Profile
Regular user
Brooklyn, NY
161 Posts

Profile of jimvines
I don't think I've ever had anyone ask to inspect the deck, but I really only do the ID as part of a set of effects; not one thing all by itself. If you don't move along to another effect right after, you certainly increase the risk of someone asking the only thing that comes to mind... Let me see that deck again!
LotaBowl.com

The Search Engine for Magic Supplies.

Search 1,000,000+ Products From 40+ Magic Dealers.
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
2829 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
"Most magicians have someone pick a card from the deck, today, we are going to turn the tables... I get to pick a card" (remove and look at a card without showing the audience) "and I get to place it back into the deck anywhere" (at this time turn the deck face up and place the card into it face down) "I did that so it is easier to find by non magicians" (said with a wink and a smile).
"You have a cell phone with probably what, 50, 100, maybe even 200 or more contacts? Do me a favor, call or text one of your friends that is not here with you and tell them that you are at (name of restaurant) and that the house magician (insert your name) is doing some great magic and you need their help... To name the first card that comes to their mind..." {have them explain what has happened with chosen card and lost in the deck so far} (while this is happening place the cards back into their box and place them into your pocket)
Once their contact has named a card and they have shared it with you, remove the invisible deck...
Dorianmagic
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of Dorianmagic
Thanks Wravyn. That's a great idea!
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
2829 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Most Welcome Dorianmagic. Use it in good health.
Brainbu$ter
View Profile
Veteran user
Indianapolis, IN
326 Posts

Profile of Brainbu$ter
I've done ID and Brainwave for 10 years and the spec's focus is on the one card, then to my eyes...not the deck.
I suspect you flashed the bottom.
Oftentimes a spec's suspicion will come from flashing, not figuring it out deductively.

If you were performing for Sherlock Holmes, then audience management is key.
Try Whit Hadyn's patter, which is found in some copies of Chicago Opener. It's in the back. I bought the book for that alone. When it wasn't in the book, Whit directed me to the place on his site where I could get it.
The patter really places the focus on the process of their card selection, not on the revelation.

When I do it, after I can see they've got a card in mind, I say, "Not the Ace of Spades." Depending on their reaction which will tell me whether they thought of the A of S, I will nod as if I knew their thoughts, or carry on casually, "don't pick an obvious one." Then I'll make them change their mind until 3 cards are named. Then they will choose one of the three. It's really a trick of will. Will they stick with their first choice, or will they be someone who changes their mind and second guess themselves?

All this psychologically misdirects them away from the deck itself. It's a red herring. They begin to think about all your words and gestures and less about gimmicks and mechanics.
barts185
View Profile
Inner circle
Can you believe I've been wrong on
1352 Posts

Profile of barts185
I know it's been a while since anyone posted in this thread, but I'm new, so hope that people will be okay with asking a question:

To people who have multiple cards chosen - how do you handle it when people pick cards that are on the opposite sides of the deck?
barts185
View Profile
Inner circle
1352 Posts

Profile of barts185
Also, Jay Leslie, or anyone wanting to use the shuffling method, if you want to carry one less ID around, simply force which deck they will shuffle first. Then you're always using the same color ID.

Red or blue?

Blue? Okay, I'll hold on to that one for now, you go ahead and shuffle the red one.

Red? Okay - you go ahead and shuffle the red one, and I'll hold onto the blue one for now.
barts185
View Profile
Inner circle
1352 Posts

Profile of barts185
I'm not sure if I should start a different thread for this, but was wondering if anyone has details on what I've seen described as the ID 3rd version? The ID is all face down, except for the named card, which is face up, and has a different color back.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » THE INVISIBLE DECK!!!! (10 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL