The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » THE INVISIBLE DECK!!!! (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
barts185
View Profile
Inner circle
Can you believe I've been wrong on
1352 Posts

Profile of barts185
I guess there's a time limit for editing / deleting posts. I found the answer to my last question, seems like it's called Brainwave. I'm not sure why some people think it's inferior to the ID, but I only have the ID. Seems like you would do the same effects, but have the deck face down instead of face up.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2012-09-10 06:34, barts185 wrote:
I guess there's a time limit for editing / deleting posts. I found the answer to my last question, seems like it's called Brainwave. I'm not sure why some people think it's inferior to the ID, but I only have the ID. Seems like you would do the same effects, but have the deck face down instead of face up.

I think that the counting factor slows down the revelation, plus, I prefer to repeat the ID which is difficult with the BW.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
barts185
View Profile
Inner circle
1352 Posts

Profile of barts185
Quote:
On 2012-09-10 07:50, magicians wrote:

I think that the counting factor slows down the revelation, plus, I prefer to repeat the ID which is difficult with the BW.

Hmmm - I guess I'll get the BW just to compare.
barts185
View Profile
Inner circle
1352 Posts

Profile of barts185
I'm not sure if this falls into the "too revealing" category, if so, feel free to ignore, or mods delete this post.

With the ID, I've never come up with any good reason why it's set up the way that it is - I don't understand why cards aren't just paired, as opposed to making people do the math. I have no issue with doing the math, it just doesn't make sense to me to force people to do it when it seems like there is a simple way to set the deck what would need no math.

Are they concerned that people would get suspicious if the card in front is the same rank as the face down card (which it is anyway for 7s in the 14 deck, or Kings in the 13 deck) ?
Countage
View Profile
Veteran user
Charlotte
361 Posts

Profile of Countage
When I perform the side walk shuffle, mental photo deck, or even linking rings I say at the end of the routine " Who would like to examine these cards ( or rings)?" There is always a several kids or zealous adults that raise their hands, reach out or say "Me". I respond by saying "THAT'S TOO BAD" It great get a big laugh.

The only time I remember someone asking to examine the ID is when I repeated four times and the only patter was say a card. Of course I did not let that person examine the cards. He thought the cards were electronic and voice activated. Other than that the other 20,000 times I have performed the ID I have never had anyone ask.
MichaelDouglas
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
766 Posts

Profile of MichaelDouglas
Quote:
On 2012-09-10 03:51, barts185 wrote:
I know it's been a while since anyone posted in this thread, but I'm new, so hope that people will be okay with asking a question:

To people who have multiple cards chosen - how do you handle it when people pick cards that are on the opposite sides of the deck?

I generally don't do multiples, but when someone else at the table, says "What about me, can you do the card that I'm thinking of?" ...and then I reveal their card....they think I'm a rock star.

Okay, so to answer your question, I just gesture with my hands moving about as I talk for a couple of seconds. During the gesturing, the larger movement covers the smaller movement of my wrist turing over and my other hand coming back to regrip the deck. I have to do this at times if I am careless or get distracted and pull the deck out the wrong way. They never notice it.
Aaron Smith Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1444 Posts

Profile of Aaron Smith Magic
Two ideas with the ID:

#1 Rather than doing math, I raise the cards to eye level, and spread the cards. At this point I'm simply looking at the opposite side, and I spread the cards where I need to. I hope this makes sense, as I'm trying to avoid exposure. If it doesn't, feel free to PM me and I'll explain it in more detail.

#2 I always use the Joker. As Ian mentioned, people do pick it on occasion. I leave it on the top that way you see a back when the cards some out. And if someone happens to name it, I'll spread the cards to show them different, then turn the top card over as I wrist kill the deck, to show that the joker is on top. Then that becomes the effect. Sometimes a thought of card simply being on top of the deck is just a strong as it being reversed in the deck.
barts185
View Profile
Inner circle
1352 Posts

Profile of barts185
Michael - thanks. I got the impression from some of the conversation that people were doing multiples at the same time. Doing them in succession is a lot different and I agree that it would be easy enough to cover the flip while moving on to the next card.

Aaron - presuming you mean that you raise it to your eye level, I understand, just seems a bit awkward.
Regarding the jokers - I actually have the jokers set up in the deck (the bicycle ones I've bought have always come with the 2 jokers paired), so I ask if they were thinking of the black and white joker, or the color joker, and expose the right one. I keep the color joker the same way as the clubs, since they both start with the letter C.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5852 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Bart185,

To get around multiple selections, I have three people give information resulting in the chosen card ala Billy McComb. If I were having several cards selected, I'd use a regular deck. For mental selections, in a close-up environment, I prefer to use a regular deck.

As far as quickly locating the chosen card, I use the Don Alan order. I look at the cards from behind the spread, so that I anticipate their card. No math!
barts185
View Profile
Inner circle
1352 Posts

Profile of barts185
Alan - yes, having multiple people involved to get to the final selection is a great way to involve more people and make it look more random.

One thing I've discovered is that there seems to be almost as many ways to set up the ID as there are tricks to do with it! I guess everyone needs to just find the one which makes them the most comfortable.
Dorianmagic
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of Dorianmagic
I use no special order to the cards other than the paired 13. IMHO this is one of the best CU tricks in magic. As I go through the face up cards I usually say something like "You're not going to believe this…" and the most often heard response is "No way!" I've never been asked by spectators to see the deck.
AdamChance
View Profile
Special user
656 Posts

Profile of AdamChance
I've been presenting the routine a little bit different from the standard presentation.

I say how I'm going to do a card trick... and I put the deck on the table. then I say, "for this trick, you're going to have to use your imagination. imagine taking the deck, giving it a shuffle, and then reaching in and picking out a random card.... what random card did you select?" they tell me... then I say "ok, imagine that you're putting that card back in the pack upside down, then shuffling it again, then putting it back in the case". there's also tons of other cheesy patter that you can throw in about your imagination that makes the trick a lot of fun.

anyways, then you show that their card is face down... comment on how good an imagination they have.

and I always end with the vanishing deck. as good as the reactions are from the ID routine... the vanishing deck normally gets as good, if not better reactions. it's a great combo for those who haven't tried it. I'm also trying to think of a good object to put in the vanishing deck... so that the deck will turn into something (like maybe a plastic bug) rather than just vanishing. but the vanishing deck also works great with the standard patter because then your ID actually does go invisible.
Zuke
View Profile
Veteran user
352 Posts

Profile of Zuke
Quote:
On 2012-01-30 09:18, Christopher Lyle wrote:
In 30 years of performing the Invisible Deck, I have NEVER had anyone ask me to see the cards when I'm done...EVER!

Ditto. I've done some TOUGH groups that have occasionally wanted to see this and that, but never the cards for the invisible deck.
Hugh Entwistle
View Profile
Regular user
177 Posts

Profile of Hugh Entwistle
Sorry to have been away for so long from the post. Just a response to those who talk about how no one EVER has wanted to see the cards - I perform at my school (being 16 yrs old) and I have been busted doing the invisible deck (someone snatched the deck out of my hand), you will find that there are some hostile environments where people WILL want to see your cards. Do not blame it on my audience management as I have been performing magic for quite a while and normally I don't have a problem with audiences. Now I normally present it as a routine rather than an effect so that I can quickly go to the next phase of the trick (whilst switching the invisible deck). I was just wondering what ideas you guys have.
LMLMagic
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of LMLMagic
Hugh has the right idea - ID should be part of a routine. I perform ID all the time and never have I been asked "can I see/examine the deck". Seriously, never! Here is how I regularly perform the effect:

I open with the ID and speak about a prediction I have inside. I ask them to hold onto the deck and to think of a card. I use the whole Bull**** about how I know what card they'll choose and that I'll offer them 3 chances to change their mind in a few minutes. I leave the deck with them and perform another few tricks - some with another pack (Sudden deck to produce this other ungimmicked deck). Between these other tricks, I refer back to the participant holding the ID at various points throughout the routine and offer him/her the chance to change their mind. I'll often put money on the line to add some drama to the effect. I then end with the revelation and bow to thunderous applause.

This has never let me down and at no point has the person tried to open the deck, want to examine it (probably because they have been holding the deck the whole time - it does remove any suspicion that the deck is gaffed I suppose).

The important element here is the constant flow of magic. Keep your audience entertained. In any effect I perform, I only create opportunities to examine props if it adds to the effect otherwise, I don't give them time to suspect anything 'unusual' about the props I'm performing with. Everything is kept simple and easy to understand. No complicated process is ever involved and all props used have been seen by most people before - unlike the unique change bags out there that scream trickery is involved!

If you ever get asked by an audience member to examine something they can't; you're doing it wrong - change your presentation. That is the only thing that is letting you down. Keep it simple and easy to follow whilst entertaining your audiences with your miracles.
Cristian Vidrascu
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of Cristian Vidrascu
There are ways to overcome the few weaknesses inherent to the invisible deck, and I thought about the proper routines which get the maximum impact from it and overcome these weaknesses. The way I have performed the effect (and I have done it in multiple ways, very different from one another) nobody asked to examine the deck - possibly due to the way the routines were devised. (I am not such a big fan of the traditional routine, for various reasons). For example, I think the Joker is crucial in order to be able to flash a supposed "back of the deck" before and/or after the revelation (another piece of faulty info bombarding the spectators' minds - or subtlety if you will). I wrote my ideas here http://www.lybrary.com/ideas-with-the-in......821.html in case anyone is interested or has already read it and has any feedback.
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1745 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
A version Ive used for many years in larger groups is that they don't inspect the deck but they do handle the deck..this works very well

I wrap the deck in rubber bands (not the box)-I use a tossed out deck effect with getting the entire-audience to all think of a card,
I toss the deck to 1 person who throws to another and then a 3rd person

I then emphasise that they have thought of any card that comes in a deck etc etc..

They bring the deck up on stage-nice loud voice-Name the card...

I tell of reversing 1 card prior etc,never met before etc..
Unwrap the deck from rubber bands

Rev card is the one they thought of......etc

The fact 3 people in the crowd handled the deck & 1 had the thought of card is very Powerful..

Try it-worked for me for years as I don't like the other std methods used

I use a small deck & sometimes a Jumbo deck.
Good audience interaction and gets things rolling in the show wherever used and plays well

Brent
mercedesrules
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of mercedesrules
Quote:
On 2012-01-31 08:28, magicians wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-01-30 14:15, Eduardo wrote:
Let me see that sticky cards!!!! that's what they say after I do the ID for them...
or... There are only 26 fat cards here, where are the other 26?
sometimes they say, I know how you do that, it is done with roughing fluid?

that's why I don't do this messy trick anymore...

If they think you have "sticky" cards or fat cards, then you are doing the effect wrong. Some decks have to be broken in, and/or your fingers need to be conditioned.

......By "broken in" do you mean doing the trick over and over or something else?
matrose9
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of matrose9
I bought a new invisible deck a few months ago and was discouraged because the cards were harder to handle than the last one I had so I just put the deck up on my shelf. a friend of mine showed me a video of a guy doing an invisible deck routine on Ellen and asked if I could do something like that... so I put a mentalism slant on it and whipped out the invisible deck and I don't know how else to explain it, even though I had barely used it the past few months, the cards seemed more "broken in" and easy to handle. this may make zero sense to somebody else. anyway, it went over wonderfully. then proceeded to turn around and say think of another and repeated the effect two more times. if you frame it right, there is no heat on the deck. I think magicians have it rougher than mentalists do when it comes to card effects. whether mentalists should do card effects is a whole other debate haha
Lucid Illusion
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of Lucid Illusion
Quote:
On 2012-01-30 06:39, Hugh Entwistle wrote:
Hey guys, everyone knows that the invisible deck is one of the most impossible and most awesome tricks in magic, but do you guys do any cleanup? Sure the spectator is usually amazed and doesn't want to inspect the deck, but occasionally you run into a skeptic like me, the first time someone performed the invisible deck to me, at the end I asked to see the deck and the magician just put it into his pocket pretending that he didn't hear me and then went "Oh you wanted to see the deck?" and obviously took out a different one, which kinda spoilt the magic for me.

What are your thoughts on cleanups for the invisible deck
P.S DOn't tell me that the spectators wont want to see it, because sometimes they do Smile

I use the ID as a closer, so by the time anyone has a chance to say anything I've already packed up and am ready to go. At that point if they want to examine the deck I pull out my regular one. If they speak up immediately, I just keep my patter going as if I didn't hear them, and switch the deck quickly incase they are persistent. Obviously this won't apply to every situation, but for the rare times you are asked it has worked for me.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » THE INVISIBLE DECK!!!! (10 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL