The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » THE INVISIBLE DECK!!!! (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
George50
View Profile
New user
Lancaster CA
60 Posts

Profile of George50
My routine is that I have a jumbo 52 on one card and ID. I bring out the ID and lay it on the table then bring out the 52 on one card and tell the spec that is my prediction card. I'm going to make you think one card out of the deck. Ask them are you thinking of one? Good, would it be amazing if I made you think of my prediction card (really ham it up here)now please tell me what card you are thinking of. Turn the jumbo over and point at the card they named. You will get a good laugh here and they think the trick is over. Then pick up the ID off the table and reveal the card in the ID. I have used this has my opener for a long time and people really like it.
eric50
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of eric50
I use 4 mini "Invisible" decks and have them not only choose the card but they can also choose the deck and I give them mulit-chances to change their mind on the card and their choice of the deck. I have been doing it this way for about 6 years and it always kills.
RajeshLGov
View Profile
Regular user
India
149 Posts

Profile of RajeshLGov
Everything is not for everyone, ID is not for me. I prefer doing the "n" number of other effects to doing this TRICK. I prefer normal decks for my gigs, but that's just me..........Best Wishes, Raj.
tobajer
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of tobajer
ID is awesome - just needs some boldness and light pressure when it is time to separate the cards. I love Jay Sankey "X ID". This kills double Smile
How
View Profile
Regular user
Florida
101 Posts

Profile of How
Quote:
On Jan 30, 2012, Christopher Lyle wrote:
In 30 years of performing the Invisible Deck, I have NEVER had anyone ask me to see the cards when I'm done...EVER!

I find that amazing!
How
View Profile
Regular user
Florida
101 Posts

Profile of How
The ID is a great tool for my sets. It's great go to on a trick that is botched up!
brandontoh
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of brandontoh
No one has asked to inspect my ID before, but I always do it in conjunction with other effects and then doing a deck switch.
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3367 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
No one asks me to examine the deck after performing the invisible deck. I think this is more a problem for people performing for friends and family.

When people watch what they consider to be a "real" magician they can believe that he is accomplishing amazing things with ordinary objects. Not only can they believe this but they WANT to believe this.

When they see a friend do the same thing they are sure he HAS to be using a trick deck because in their minds he can't be THAT good. He is just one of the guys so he must have some kind of aid that would allow anyone to do this trick.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Adam Joseph
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of Adam Joseph
Quote:
On Jan 26, 2014, George50 wrote:
My routine is that I have a jumbo 52 on one card and ID. I bring out the ID and lay it on the table then bring out the 52 on one card and tell the spec that is my prediction card. I'm going to make you think one card out of the deck. Ask them are you thinking of one? Good, would it be amazing if I made you think of my prediction card (really ham it up here)now please tell me what card you are thinking of. Turn the jumbo over and point at the card they named. You will get a good laugh here and they think the trick is over. Then pick up the ID off the table and reveal the card in the ID. I have used this has my opener for a long time and people really like it.

have you thought of presenting it like this?

tell them that this one face down card is the prediction. and just say things like "what are the chances that this one face down card is the card you selected?" and then reveal the joke. then say something like "that was just a joke, but I really did have one face down card as a prediction and it's in this deck".

so you basically just talk about how this 'face down' card is your prediction... and everyone assumes that the 52 on 1 card that you put "face down" on the table is the prediction card you were talking about... but really, you're talking about a face down card in the deck as the prediction.
brandontoh
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of brandontoh
Quote:
On Sep 11, 2014, MeetMagicMike wrote:
No one asks me to examine the deck after performing the invisible deck. I think this is more a problem for people performing for friends and family.

When people watch what they consider to be a "real" magician they can believe that he is accomplishing amazing things with ordinary objects. Not only can they believe this but they WANT to believe this.

When they see a friend do the same thing they are sure he HAS to be using a trick deck because in their minds he can't be THAT good. He is just one of the guys so he must have some kind of aid that would allow anyone to do this trick.

That makes so much sense! That's probably also why friends' and family's reactions are never as good as strangers'.
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
I start Redhot Mommas by having the deck shuffled. When I bring out the invisible deck, actually Brainwave for the encore nobody thinks a thing about it. I've been doing it this way for a long while (thanks Pop). That really helped me get past the guilt when I first started using cards.
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21005 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Sep 7, 2014, How wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 30, 2012, Christopher Lyle wrote:
In 30 years of performing the Invisible Deck, I have NEVER had anyone ask me to see the cards when I'm done...EVER!

I find that amazing!

Scripting and attitude have a LOT to do with this fact. Experience in short.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
faro
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of faro
In about 40 years of working with never the spectators asket to see the deck... in any case I do it at the end of card show after a switching in a pocket.
J-L Sparrow
View Profile
Regular user
165 Posts

Profile of J-L Sparrow
Quote:
On Sep 10, 2012, Aaron Smith Magic wrote:
Rather than doing math, I raise the cards to eye level, and spread the cards. At this point I'm simply looking at the opposite side, and I spread the cards where I need to.

This is the way Joshua Jay teaches it in his Magic: The Complete Course book. I like Joshua's method (and whole routine as well) so much that I do it that way exclusively now.

One nice advantage of Joshua's (and your) method is that there is no need to calculate or figure out which card is paired with the spectator's card (though you still have to know which "side" the spectator's card is on). The main disadvantage is that it's not as "angle proof" as the more common method, so you have to be mindful of where your spectators are standing.

But other than that one drawback, I think it's a fun and novel way to perform the Invisible Deck routine.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13419 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
On Jan 30, 2012, Hugh Entwistle wrote:
Hey guys, everyone knows that the invisible deck is one of the most impossible and most awesome tricks in magic, but...

What are your thoughts on cleanups for the invisible deck
P.S DOn't tell me that the spectators wont want to see it, because sometimes they do Smile

Ir's not awesome enough for me to carry an extra deck.

However,
The person that did it to you the first time... He made the mistake of saying "oh you wanted to see the deck?" and ruined it for you.
That's a huge, telling mistake, as you now know. He should never had drawn attention to the deck afterwards. HUGE MISTAKE.

The bigger mistake he made was not being 100% prepared to get that question and have a perfect solution available.

Go ahead and do a subtle deck switch. Just don't draw attention to it in any way.

Lastly, if you do a deck switch and someone insists to see the deck, don't just hand it over. don't be desperate for it to be proven fair right away. bring it out and set it down. it's not going anywhere. if you're lucky, someone will grab it.

there are lots of psychological ploys you can use to not look desperate for someone to see your now fair deck.
"if I let someone grope my stuff every time they ask, I'd never have time to do any tricks. settle down, cowboy".

and instead of actually letting someone grope your deck, just do one more trick that basically reveals that it's fair.
perhaps have someone shuffle, etc.

be sutble.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
COB
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of COB
Have dumped out my magic drawer and rediscovered quite a few gems including my invisible deck. Suggestions for killer routines?
Tukaram
View Profile
Loyal user
Iloilo, Philippines
207 Posts

Profile of Tukaram
Quote:
On Feb 11, 2015, COB wrote:
Have dumped out my magic drawer and rediscovered quite a few gems including my invisible deck. Suggestions for killer routines?

I use a standard "here shuffle this invisible deck" presentation to start. Then I drop their 'invisible deck' into a production bag to make my invisible deck appear. (Tommy James production bag - I love it!). Simple routine but it always knocks em out. A have a friend here who likes to have them call a friend on the phone to select a card. I have not tried that but hear good things...

I am having a blast in the Philippines because a lot of the 'tired old tricks' have hardly been seen over here. Invisible Deck and spongeballs are a lot of fun with the reactions I get Smile
vincentmusician
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto
239 Posts

Profile of vincentmusician
I do not think it is that big of a deal when someone asks to see the deck. People very rarely ask me. I do not panic if someone asks. I am very direct. If they ask, I just say no and move on. Something else you can do is just pretend to not hear them. This works for me. I do not care if they think I use a trick deck. I use regular decks and I like trick decks too. I just keep things moving. I also know those that use deck switches. I just do not bother. 99 percent of the time nobody ever asks. They know that I am there to entertain and most people do not care what deck I use. Cheers!
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
2820 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
I no longer do paid shows though I still enjoy performing magic. I guess you can say I am now a hobbyist. With that in mind, I do not want to carry more than one deck of cards. I do like the ID and have found that I can carry something in my wallet that packs the punch of the ID... put out by Tony Miller and RFA Productions called Pocket Space Plus. The spectator has everything in their hands, look them over, and find nothing.
madmalone
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of madmalone
Do some tricks let them touch, select, shuffle the cards... then switch then perform invisible deck. (On their mind they already handled the cards before... So the wont want to do it again!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » THE INVISIBLE DECK!!!! (10 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL