The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Those of you Who perform White Star (13 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
aligator
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2044 Posts

Profile of aligator
Why not just memorize the photographs?
docsteve
View Profile
Inner circle
1831 Posts

Profile of docsteve
Quote:
On 2012-02-06 10:42, aligator wrote:
Why not just memorize the photographs?

That's what Critchlow did!

I've played with white Star cards using Gampton Falls methodology, using photos looking either left or right.
Finally I snipped off one corner on 4 to make it bomb proof, and no one ever calls it.
[
aligator
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2044 Posts

Profile of aligator
Memorizing the survived from the died does not take long and adds much to the presentation of the effect imo.
DrTodd
View Profile
Inner circle
1976 Posts

Profile of DrTodd
Quote:
Dr. Todd, once I get everything settled with this, I'm heading over to buy your 'The Bequethment'.

Mark

Sounds great! PM when it comes....

Cheers

Dr T
mesmerist
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of mesmerist
The whole thing for me with White Star is "setting the Scene " and using a couple of props
I use a 1912 and a 1914 penny
Its a little "psychometry experiment" that when its revealed I make sure I look as suprised as anyone
Stick with it , performit to "strangers" and you will get great reactions
MagiChrisMitch
View Profile
Special user
702 Posts

Profile of MagiChrisMitch
I just received my White Star. In preparation for it's debut,which is planned for the 100 year anniversary, I have bought some nice items that will be used to dress up it's presentation. A 1912 printed 1st edition hardbound copy of The Sinking of the Titanic by Logan Marshall, an aged repo of 2nd Class boarding pass & envelope, a 1912 Great Britin One Penny, a Titanic White Star Line Lapel Pin and a 1912 Boston Globe Newspaper. Plan on keeping everything in a nice wood momento box. These are all great little items that I believe will enhance my overall presentation of the routine. Looking forward to it. I think it will be very strong and people should enjoy handling the addition trinkets.
Uncle Joe
View Profile
Regular user
Japan
194 Posts

Profile of Uncle Joe
I use Jon Armstrong's method if I'm doing a one on one .
If I'm using two spectators I use the basic 'White Star' method, but
I stretch it out. I pay more attention and detail to people in the unused pile.
This takes a lot of heat off the method.
Timing works for me.
Winks
View Profile
Special user
Arizona
753 Posts

Profile of Winks
I threw out the original cards/photos and made my own from period studio pics using Photoshop and ageing. Never had a problem with them since.
Peter McMillan
View Profile
Elite user
St. George, Utah
497 Posts

Profile of Peter McMillan
I as well got rid of the included photos and purchased original Cabinet Card Photos and wrote the info on the back. In addition I found an old photo album and created a collection of photos and flyers to give the impression of someone using it to conduct experiments in thru the veil contact, in addition to a brass key, fountain pen and english penny, newspaper and other goodies.
Spiritus Dictum Artifacts ~ Tools of the Craft for Serious Workers http://petemcmillan.wixsite.com/sd-artifacts/artifacts
~
www.SantaPeteUtah.com
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4810 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
I do one type of version using a Peter Turner method, it does hit real hard at times. I think it does not matter how old they look or new, it is all in the presentation.
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
Secret Mountain Lair in Conifer, Co
1511 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
I've offered this before, but if you want templates to make a cabinet card version of this, minus what I consider the boring stuff on the back, and you don't have to look at the backs anyway, then I have templates for you and a script that goes along with the cabinet cards. A bit different presentation than what comes with the White Star instructions, more of a mystery story build, with a three part revelation.

Two things to note. These template are only for the two spectator version (which I feel is the best way to perform this or any of the other OOTW variations on the market) and second, I will ask you to prove that you have a purchased set of the original cards. If anyone thinks I'm giving away methods here and just asks for my templates and script, there is nothing in the script that will help you on method

PM me first.

I will ask for some proof of ownership and then I will need your personal email address to send you the materials.
Winks
View Profile
Special user
Arizona
753 Posts

Profile of Winks
" I think it does not matter how old they look or new, it is all in the presentation." It matters to ME - the more authentic (which is why I do the backs also), the better I presentm it. As in a good novel - it is the suspension of disbelief.
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4810 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Quote:
On Dec 13, 2015, Winks wrote:
" I think it does not matter how old they look or new, it is all in the presentation." It matters to ME - the more authentic (which is why I do the backs also), the better I presentm it. As in a good novel - it is the suspension of disbelief.

Please do not get me wrong, I love to have all my props as authentic as I can, but it is no good having all the wonderfull props if the story is not presentend well, that is all I say, goes without saying really.
viktorbc
View Profile
Special user
Baltimore
648 Posts

Profile of viktorbc
This is the basis of one of my favorite routines! http://magicandmurder.com/the-mysteries/......nection/

I have performed it dozens of times! I have always received positive results from it!

Click here to view attached image.
VINCE WILSON

Bizarrist, Hypnotist and Paranormalist

Profile and more: www.vincewilsonmagic.com
www.poesmagic.com
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3828 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
I used a modified version of Al's routine and a portion of his templates, it was a stunner. Thanks Al, for offering this.
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
thementalcoach
View Profile
New user
Sacramento, CA
64 Posts

Profile of thementalcoach
I purchased White Star and ordered that Boston Globe Titanic newspaper. My first performance was to my scientist wife, who is a REALLY tough audience. My intro was that all of these people have something in common, at the same place and same time, then did the rest of the routine (she did both parts). Before the reveal, I brought out the newspaper, then the reveal. She took it very seriously (surprising me), said she could tell the d**d from the l****g by "the look in their eyes. Can't get much better than that!
David Kenward - The Mental Coach
One-on-One: Healing Trauma - Hypnosis, Hypnotherapy
Groups: Magic, Mentalism
Sacramento, California
http://thementalcoach.com
Grasshop34
View Profile
Veteran user
Cincinnati, OH
308 Posts

Profile of Grasshop34
I agree with the original poster that the method seems very transparent and easy to figure out. I have White Star but have not tried it yet because it probably is easy to deconstruct the method. I do not like the reject pile at all. I was hoping for other methods not including the reject pile. I personally think people like the premise and performance and are polite about seeing through the method. Do any of you perform White Star not using the reject pile? Any resources for better methods? Thanks!
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2614 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
I used to do an L/D that had a discard pile. I don't know if it's the same method here, but it was easy to use that pile as a convincer for the L and D piles - "And you made those choices from a random arrangement" (showing the mixed up discard pile)
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Boffo eBook: https://tinyurl.com/387sxkcd
Vic Nadata
View Profile
Special user
Charlotte, NC
935 Posts

Profile of Vic Nadata
I, same as the good Witch Doctor, use it with a discard pile. However I do place them in a clear glass bowl. When showing the discard pile, it is very easy to give a quick mix. Always has worked for me.
ZoOpDoG
View Profile
Veteran user
All the cool people have
311 Posts

Profile of ZoOpDoG
There are a lot of effects out there that use this method and a lot of performers who have success with White Star. I own white star but have never used it for the general public because I know I cannot sell it. I don't believe it is interesting or believable making any method much more transparent. I do other spooky themed effects that use this same method and they are great every time. I would suggest it is not the method or the product but the presentation. I don't believe white star and so it stinks when I do it. I have 3 different friends who absolutely love it and it is well received every time. My guess is you need a better presentation or a different subject matter using the same method that you feel comfortable with. I know White Star is solid so I hang onto it in case inspiration one day hits me. The problem isn't White Star it is me.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Those of you Who perform White Star (13 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL