The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Book Test? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Skitch
View Profile
Veteran user
Philadelphia
400 Posts

Profile of Skitch
Is there any book test out there that requires only one SPEC needed? But something that is amazing, not a (Okay) quick effect?
§kitch
Brent Allan
View Profile
Elite user
Chicago
415 Posts

Profile of Brent Allan
There are several out there. It really depends on what you are looking for and what price range. I personally use Larry Becker's Ultimate Flashback. I have heard the Mother of All Book Tests is fantastic, as well as Becker and Earle's new Double Vision.

Perhaps if you could give us a better description of what you want the book test effect to look like?
Turn your business card into a relentless salesperson that brings you business!

http://www.TransformYourBusinesscard.com
Skitch
View Profile
Veteran user
Philadelphia
400 Posts

Profile of Skitch
I really don't know, I never did a book test. I just want something hands off as much as possible. Where the SPEC does most of the work and the Mentalist really doesn't have to touch it. Aren't all those book tests you mentioned a lot of money?
§kitch
hkwiles
View Profile
Special user
Howard Wiles
797 Posts

Profile of hkwiles
Try Val Andrews UnFaked Book Test its only £5 and its good.
visit
www.ianrowland .com
to find out how to get it.

Howard
bekralik
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1357 Posts

Profile of bekralik
Yes, but that's what you pay for: a very clean, hands-off approach.

There are some ideas in Peek Performances for book tests that are almost as clean as you want, but they involve some work by the magician.

What's your ultimate goal? A spectator takes any book and looks at any page and any word to divine a word? Does the spectator write anything down? You have to give up something to get the hands-free, clean handling you're looking for, whether it's more work by the magician or an expensive prop that fulfills your requirements.

Brian
Anabelle
View Profile
Special user
951 Posts

Profile of Anabelle
Skitch, you can't have everything you know, you want awesome, totally hands off and cheap! If you find that kind of book test let me know. Almost fitting that description is the only book test I've ever done which is Max Maven's Autome. It works for me and it's pretty impressive.

Anabelle Smile
Nir Dahan
View Profile
Inner circle
Munich, Germany
1390 Posts

Profile of Nir Dahan
I still do the Hoy book test (going to the basics).
If you create the right atmosphere for it - it is a winner. While not totally "hands off", with the right presentation you can create the illusion it is.
Don't over look this book test, especially for one on one.

Just my opinion.
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
The Hoy Book Test is, IMO, one of the very best. I do it with two spectators, each one thinking of a word, i.e. one spectator thinks of a word from one of the books and a second spectator thinks of a word from the other book. I do this in my stage act and it kills. And it seems so fair. Smile
jlibby
View Profile
Inner circle
1044 Posts

Profile of jlibby
Osterlind's Seafire Sequence is killer stuff. A strong enough routine to close just about any kind of act, IMO. I've made the decision to get it ready for performance and use it as the closing effect of my mentalism show. I highly recommend it.

I've seen Ultimate Flashback performed on Larry Becker's tape. It's also excellent, but I already had Seafire Sequence sitting around, just waiting to be put to work.

See ya!
Joe L.
My new FREE ebook on the classic Mismade Bill trick is ready for you:
https://funnybirthdayshow.com/mismadebill/
vratkins
View Profile
Regular user
New Orleans USA
151 Posts

Profile of vratkins
Skitch, does a telephone book count? There's a great phone book test in Bob Cassidy's "the art of mentalism" It's called "phone book test 1". Very imaginative.

Essentially, you flip thru the pages of a phone book, plop it in a volunteer's lap. This is the last time you touch the phone book or the prediction. Have them open the book and put their finger randomly on the page. You are several feet away during this. The name they selected matches your prediction.

Prediction isn't switched, the Spec does all the work, no calling out numbers, no math, nothing but your prediction and the phone book. It's about as direct as you can get. I like it.
(oh, yes... It's awsome, totally hands off, and cheap).

Regards,
Victor
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
There's also a nice low-tech phone book test in Richardson's Theatre of the Mind, based on an old Bruce Elliott idea.

Jack Shalom
shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
I have "Ultimate Telephony" and also "Telepack 2002" both by Eddie Burke of http://www.mreenterprises.co.uk. Some have said these owe a large debt to Al Mann. They don't mention Al Mann. But do mention inspiration from DAvid Hoy.

I have a few of Eddies books and they are quite good. I get the impression he has been performing for a long time and has tweaked and adapted many classics.

Eddies books are pretty reasonable to. And the booktest mentioned is very cheap to put together compared with marketed gimmicked books.
Ian Rowland
View Profile
Special user
London
889 Posts

Profile of Ian Rowland
If you want the best book test of all, I suggest you go to Marc Paul's website and buy his lecture notes. Within you will find his book test, which is like flashback except you don't need a flashback book. Do it with any paperback book. Any time. No preparation. No nothing. Just pick the book up and do it.

I had the immense privilege of being one of the first to use this, and I thought it was brilliant even before I started using it. During my recent travels to Australia, Indonesia and Singapore I was using it almost constantly, in formal situations, informal situations and for two media interviews. It's just the best thing since sliced bread.

I will be honest with you, if Marc sold this one secret for £100, I would still recommend you buy it.

Go now:
http://www.marcpaul.com
www.ianrowland.com . Working Magic.
kuffs
View Profile
Special user
791 Posts

Profile of kuffs
Ian, your too generous for the simple mortals. Smile

I've heard very good things about it also.

Humbly

Kuffs
mrfluffy
View Profile
Loyal user
250 Posts

Profile of mrfluffy
Bonus !

Marc Paul is lecturing at my Club in November.
cubreporter
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas
69 Posts

Profile of cubreporter
My Dear Skitch:
All excellent advice above, however, you must look at your performing situation. For you, any book should do anywhere, anytime. In this case, Marc Paul's effect is perfect. Your own books? Ultimate flashback. Or the Master Key. Or Autome as Annabelle suggested. I have used all of them. What do you wish to convey? Thought transferance? How about a design duplication instead? Use your business card, or theirs. Perhaps a Shaxton Flap? All good luck!
I am whatever I am to you.
mrfluffy
View Profile
Loyal user
250 Posts

Profile of mrfluffy
Can someone help me with "Ultimate Flashaback" - does it involve a "peek"?

PM if need be.

Cheers
marcpaul
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of marcpaul
Ian, you make me blush!!! Thanks for the mention of my "Anytime, Any Place, Any Book Booktest". I'm glad it has come in use during your travels.

For those that saw me on TV at Christmas this is the booktest that I did on Martine McCutcheon. At the last minute the producers dropped one of my routines and wanted it replaced. This booktest is what I did. As Ian says it is totally impromptu you don't even need to see the book before hand just pick it up and do it.

Best thoughts

Marc

http://www.marcpaul.com
Anabelle
View Profile
Special user
951 Posts

Profile of Anabelle
Sounds amazing, I'll have to take a look.

Anabelle Smile
BonzoTheClown
View Profile
Regular user
176 Posts

Profile of BonzoTheClown
£10!! Please Marc, put the price up a little.

Marc Climens
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Book Test? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL