The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Book Test? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
marcpaul
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of marcpaul
I have had some private messages from a few people asking about "Affected by Berglas". I just want to clarify.

"Affected by Berglas" is not exactly what I did on Parkinson. The effect is very similiar, but not identical. "Affected by Berglas" was developed to cut down the memory work and create a version of the trick that could be done repeatedly in a close-up strolling environment. Basically it made the effect easier to do. I'm very proud of this trick as it is very clean & direct solution. With the right framing the spectators will remember it as the perfect effect.

The any card at any number plot is a dream effect, there are many ways to achieve it and I must say that I have studied a lot of them. The actual version I did on Parkinson I am keeping to myself for the moment, but if you want some real insight into the trick, then read The Berglas Book...it's all there if you know where to look!

Best thoughts

Marc

http://www.marcpaul.com/annemann.htm
kuffs
View Profile
Special user
791 Posts

Profile of kuffs
Just take the time to mention, that only couples days after I've order Marc stuff's, I've receive it !

This is one of the fastest service I've experienced overseas, great business Marc. Smile

Also, the content of the manuscripts is very much a must buy for any mentalist, that need fast and direct effect, and mostly they are all very commercial

It was one of the best spend ( I should say invest! )money for some new stuff's for long time

Thanks, Marc for sharing some of your thought with the rest of us mortals.

Humbly

Kuffs

P.S. If this sound to much like I've really appreciate Marc manuscript alots, it's because I did. Smile
marky707
View Profile
Regular user
138 Posts

Profile of marky707
I was wondering how different is the book test that Marc has in the manuscript in comparison to Val Andrews unfaked book test?
kuffs
View Profile
Special user
791 Posts

Profile of kuffs
A world of difference !

Mostly no memory or preparation is needed here and you can play it like a challenge, you don't need to see to book until you have it in your hand.

In the hands of an experience performer, this one is a pure gem. For a beginner this one may sound a bit to bold and risky, but welcome in the real world of mentalism. Smile

Hope this helps.

Kuffs
marky707
View Profile
Regular user
138 Posts

Profile of marky707
Kuffs,
would you say then that Marc's book test is better?
kuffs
View Profile
Special user
791 Posts

Profile of kuffs
If you compare the advantage in both ideas..Hummmmmm yes !

But this is only my humble french opinion Smile Some may completely disagree with me on this one

For me no doubt here, Marc book test is like a "Tank", learn it and you will have a new weapon for conquer some laymen minds!

Take care

Kuffs
Keith Raygor
View Profile
Special user
Naples, FL
968 Posts

Profile of Keith Raygor
In answer to the original question, another book test that satifies your requirements is the Insight Book Test by Keith Fields. Though rather pricey, it allows for more than just a word or phrase - you can correctly identify several pieces of information spread throughout the page, on any page.

I have performed this with ideas from Autome. 3 books total for the spec to choose from, Insight, then 2 others that match the Autome criteria, so there is no Equivoque.

I am looking forward to receiving Marc's book.
Gianni
View Profile
Special user
WILMINGTON, DE
993 Posts

Profile of Gianni
Quote:
On 2003-10-01 01:49, kuffs wrote:

For a beginner this one may sound a bit to bold and risky...

Kuffs is certainly right: to a beginner it may seem bold. The question is this: is it too bold for the experienced?

My problem with this book test is that the only logical answer to you being correct - outside of paranormal powers - is the exact method you use. I always worry when the logical answer to how you did something is the precise method you used - no matter how creative or clever you think you're being.

I would love comment on this.

Gianni
Colin
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1355 Posts

Profile of Colin
Well I have used this at least 20 times since receiving the script, and have not been caught once.

I think the key is to keep the book either:-

1) In play for a very short time, and say your only using it to allow them to think of a totally random word.

2) Keep it in your hands for as little time possible as Marc explains. Also right after you perform the method turn your head away as you open the book. And as your opening the book put it forward a bit, closer to the spectator. With all these little things happening at once, they won't have time to put the logic of things into prespective.

Also when they think about it later, the key points they will remember are that it was a book you had never seen before, you were no where near the book when the spetator was holding it, and that they had an overall free choice of word.

If Marc is willing to use this routine on one of the UK's most popular chat shows (which has previously features Fred Kapps and CHAN CANASTA,) then I feel this routine is definitely worthy of any performer who will give it the space it deserves.

Best Wishes,

Colin

ps: I don't feel this post has been revealing, however if any other member, or Mr Paul himself feel it is, feel free to delete/modify it right away.
Check out Psych-Artist.com now for free essays and other resources.
Andrewdavidson12
View Profile
Loyal user
England
232 Posts

Profile of Andrewdavidson12
I've just received Marc's book and I'm delighted with it. The book test is fantastic. It certainly is bold but it works! And it's cleaner than clean.

The other thing that no one has mentioned as yet (which isn't surprising as this post is meant to be about book tests!) is the coin in the hand routine (not to be confused with Derren Brown's routine). It plays really, really well.

Get the book!

A
shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
Gianni:

I tried it out a couple of times and no one noticed the method. Personally Ive never liked book tests as they have never impressed me even long before I studied mentalism. It always looked like a trick to me. Even watching Paul on Parkinson it looked suspicious to me. I wasn't far off the method.

Having said that if it works for the majority and you get a good response from it then it is a very good impromtu item. Its all about trying things out and discovering if it fits in with your style or persona.

The great value of this test is that it is very simple and genuinely impromptu good material with these features is hard to come by so its worth having.

There is a nice dual reality effect in the notes to.
crossroader
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of crossroader
I wonder if Marc's effect is similar to Alain Nu's
improptu book test(called"Labyrinth"I think).
Thanks,
Christos
nimrod
View Profile
Special user
881 Posts

Profile of nimrod
I'm using the Karmilovich impromptu book test. is Marc's similar ? for those who don't know the Karmilovich'e BT and without revealing the method I'll say that the word must be among the firsts on the top of the page and you peek at it a second before the spec does (hope I didn't give too much).

Nimrod , Israel
crossroader
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of crossroader
Nimrod wheere did you find the Karmilovich book test?
Christos
drosenbe0813
View Profile
Elite user
Long Island, NY
405 Posts

Profile of drosenbe0813
Since no one answered one question regarding the Flashback books, They are a set of books which are gimmacked to the hilt.You can perform about 6 different 'effects'. They are well worth the price.
ESP Guy
View Profile
Regular user
Falls View, Vermont
137 Posts

Profile of ESP Guy
It is my understanding that Paul's book test is similar to Karmilovich's, however, Karmilovich's handling is more streamlined with a number of nice psychological touches. I believe it will appear in his book; when that will come out is anybody's guess. I understand his handling has been kept underground for a number of years.

Thom
Greg Owen
View Profile
Special user
623 Posts

Profile of Greg Owen
"Since no one answered one question regarding the Flashback books, They are a set of books which are gimmacked to the hilt.You can perform about 6 different 'effects'."

BUT...note that both Flashback and Ultimate Flashback are available. The original Flashback is a set of two books - the Ultimate is a set of 5 with many additional capabilities.

- Greg Owen
Author of The Alpha Stack ebook - the balanced memorized stack
gobeatty@yahoo.com
nimrod
View Profile
Special user
881 Posts

Profile of nimrod
Thanks ESP Guy.

Got his routine from a friend.

Nimrod , Israel
david_a_whitehead
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
2122 Posts

Profile of david_a_whitehead
I like the book tests found in Annemann's Practical Mental Magic, and Autome from Max Maven's series.
DaveS
View Profile
Veteran user
New York
329 Posts

Profile of DaveS
Quote:
On 2003-09-21 21:49, Ian Rowland wrote:
If you want the best book test of all, I suggest you go to Marc Paul's website and buy his lecture notes. Within you will find his book test, which is like flashback except you don't need a flashback book. Do it with any paperback book. Any time. No preparation. No nothing. Just pick the book up and do it.

I had the immense privilege of being one of the first to use this, and I thought it was brilliant even before I started using it. During my recent travels to Australia, Indonesia and Singapore I was using it almost constantly, in formal situations, informal situations and for two media interviews. It's just the best thing since sliced bread.

I will be honest with you, if Marc sold this one secret for £100, I would still recommend you buy it.

Go now:
http://www.marcpaul.com

Ian, I agree that Marc's book test is terrific. Just wondering how it compares to the Val Andrews Unfaked Book Test highlighted on your website as "quite possibly the finest book test in creation?" Thanks.
DaveS
We shall not cease from exploration/And the end of all our exploring/Will be to arrive where we started/And know the place for the first time. (TS Elliot)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Book Test? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL