The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Polishing aluminum angle (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1411 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
Blackstone.. there is NO paint that will do a truly polished looking surface..

Even the http://www.alsocorp.com paints don't d a truly REFLETIVE surface.. and NO standard silver paint will... ever.

I'm getting ready to get some metal polished for http://www.wack-o-magic.com and I'm sending it out. It's a bargain for the price and the time I'll save. then again.. I live in Los Angeles, where I can get ALMOST anything at my fingertips... material or labor.
blackstone99
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

Profile of blackstone99
I agree but why would you need your apparatus to be that reflective and shiny unless you want to blind your audience the way DC does with his floodlights.
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1411 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
Because silver paint ALWAYS looks like silver paint.. .and polished or even "ghosted" chrome looks like metal. It's a matter of looking expensive or looking cheap... Even the anodized "silver" stuff tends to look cheap.
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2582 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
Also, keep in mind where props are used... on a stage what is already lit up. The wrong finish or costume can kill a show. The bright shiny reflective surface brings some zazz to the act, especially if nothing else on the stage is shiny. Nothing is worse than a cheaply made or poorly finished prop.
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Ace hardware has both dull finish and shiny angle at a different price level. Does anyone have any tips on cutting and bending?
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Magic1man
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Magic1man
A fine tooth carbide tipped blade in a standard chop saw does a fine job of cutting aluminum angle. If the metal is thin I would strongly suggest attaching a sacrificial wooden fence to your chop saw (both horizontally and vertically) to create a zero clearance fence. This will support the shape of your angle and prevent you from catching an edge and bending the angle. The zero clearance fence will also prevent any small cut off pieces from becoming projectiles. Before making the cut give the aluminum a shot of W-D 40 and slowly make your cut. Also after making the cut let the blade come to a full stop before raising it back out.

Cutting aluminum on the chop saw without a zero clearance fence is a little scary because sooner or later you will catch an edge or a cut off piece will get caught up in the spinning blade and violently fly across the shop! BE CAREFULL
Magic1man
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Magic1man
After rereading the post above I just realized you didn’t say the angle you found at ACE Hardware was Aluminum! Sorry I just assumed it was because this thread is about polishing aluminum. Only Non-Ferrous metals( metals without iron like Aluminum, copper, brass, zinc) can be cut with a carbide blade in a standard high-speed chop saw!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Polishing aluminum angle (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL