The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » "Slick" Coins (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2970 Posts

Profile of niva
I have to say that I am fairly new to coin magic. I just picked a copy of J. Carney's The Book of Secrets at last FISM and would like to try out the Silver and Glass routine.

He mentions "slick" coins. How does one make these? He says one can buy them but I would like to use local money. We will soon be having the Euro coins here in Malta. There is a lot of noise when I slide a coin off the others. Any help would be appreciarted.

Thanks to all of you in advance.
Yours,

Ivan
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
Hi Ivan,

Hi Ivan,

The easiest coins to obtain are American silver halves. The walking liberties are always rather worn (though not completely "soft"). If you buy them on e-bay you should be able to get them for a reasonable price.
Soft or worn dollar coins are much harder to get. Since they have hardly any collector's value they are not imported to Europe and the only way I got them was shopping in the US and some complementary coins from Lassen gimmicks.

Funny is that most of the American members of this Café have no idea how difficult it is to get your hands on soft coins outside the US.
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2970 Posts

Profile of niva
But how about Euros? I would prefer to use something local. Foreign currency might arouse suspicion. Smile

BTW, Dan, it was nice meeting you last July.
Yours,

Ivan
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
There's no thing yet like slick euros Ivan. For that you'll have to wait another 80 or so years...
Though I never tried it myself I once heard a magician say that you could spray your coins with something that is used for car laquers. It would fill up the recesses ands make the coin more slick while maintaining the sound. Maybe the suff they use to protect wooden floors would work as well?

I do a lot of coinmagic and I almost never use euros. They are just too small to make a "show". Yes sometimes people ask why I use strange coins but this explanation is always convincing (simply because it is the truth!).

The only thing where you would need normal pocket-change is in something like cig thru coin or coin in bottle.
Coins in glass is a rather formal routine, so I urge you to try larger coins Ivan!

Have fun with it..
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2970 Posts

Profile of niva
Thanks a lot. Better not wait another 80 years then. Smile
Yours,

Ivan
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27145 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
"Soft Coins" is David Roth's term for what Andrew Galloway called "well worn".

Keeping that in mind... the newer non-silver coins do not wear well.

Using a rock tumbler has already been discussed, as has coating coins with varnish/nail polish to fill in the details and create slicker coins. Making coins into what they are NOT has disadvantages.

Dan, John Ramsay was using well worn Half Crowns, Penneys, and Florins. Europe had silver and copper money in most places for HUNDREDS of years.

Going to current money usually means NOT doing work with soft coins. Simple either-or proposition, unless you are willing to use the rock tumbler or the clear stuff.

Up to you.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2970 Posts

Profile of niva
Sorry, but what is rock tumbler?? Smile
Yours,

Ivan
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27145 Posts

Sand or grit in water
in jar
motor spins slowly along long axis
for a few days

grade of grit/sand = coursness

used to polish rocks/stones

mostly used by jewlers
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2970 Posts

Profile of niva
Thanks a lot.
Yours,

Ivan
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
Jon,
For us here in the states the golden dollar coins are pretty soft right out of the box. Might be worth investigating...

BTW, did you get to the CoinVention or LVMI?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27145 Posts

I'll have to try the new sac dollars.
and sorry to say did not make it out to LV.
bet it was quite inspiring and educational.
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
Jon ,
I'm aware of the older silver European coins, but they are not as commonly found as older US coins. And you still pay a lot of money for them!
Maybe it has to do with the fact that (at least I was told) American money always holds its value, while a lot of Dutch coins are taken out of circulation when they are replaced and therefore become collector's items, only to be found in coinshops or collections.

Have you actually ever seen a British well worn half crown? Not me ;-)
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
RiserMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of RiserMagic
Niva;
I posted this last March.....

At times I need to create soft coins from specific coins for accessories to some piece of custom apparatus that I make. On such items, it really is not practical to go to a coin shop for such coins. Many of the coins are too new to be "naturally soft." This method allows control over exactly how the finished coins will look - making matching soft coins possible. I soften the coins myself using the method shown here:
http://www.jamesriser.com/Magic/Softening/Coins.html

Enjoy.
Jim
Jason Fleming
View Profile
Veteran user
Marooned, Hawaii
374 Posts

Profile of Jason Fleming
If you run into any difficulty convincing your spouse that buying a lathe is a good idea, I have heard (not tried myself) that a knife sharpening stone may be useful. Get some water on the stone, put the coin flat on it, and gently rub in a figure-of-eight on one side, then the other. Not sure how well it works. If you try it, please post your results.

Smile

Regards,
Jason
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13417 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I buy soft Silver coins at the local coin shop.

$.50 for about $3.50
$1. for about $7.50
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
You can find great selections of old soft coins on ebay. Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2970 Posts

Profile of niva
How do you search for them, please?

And thanks to everyone for the replies.
Yours,

Ivan
gforster
View Profile
Regular user
californian living in wisconsin
136 Posts

Profile of gforster
Quote:
On 2003-10-24 04:18, niva wrote:
How do you search for them, please?

And thanks to everyone for the replies.

It helps to know all the names that "soft" coins are called by. I believe the official term is "cull," but they are also called "junk" or "worn." Usually using these words helps turn up good results. Although, many people selling these on places like eBay are not numismatics (coin collectors) and just call them "old." I'm sure there are some other terms out there, but this should give you a start.
EVENTVS STVLTORVM MAGISTER
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
Hey Frank, I can buy silver 10 guilder coins for about 4 euro a piece... just around the street corner, also wooden shoes, french-fries with mayonnaise and, if I'd cared for, a fair deal of "mind-expanding goodies."

It depends on where you live I suppose. Smile
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
So, you go to the smoke shops?

On ebay you search for the coins by name, standing liberty half dollar or Morgan silver dollar. Give it a try.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » "Slick" Coins (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL