The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Subliminal Influence - Tommaso Guglielmi (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

doriancaudal
View Profile
Inner circle
1532 Posts

Profile of doriancaudal
I’ve had the pleasure to read Tommaso Guglielmi’s new manuscript called « Subliminal Influence », that he sent me for review purposes.

It is a very detailed and well described routine mixing different effects, namely ACAANs and Open Prediction.
The first phase is that the magician guesses a randomly selected card, without even looking at it of course. Secondly, this is a very nicely constructed coincidence effect named “Gemini”.
These first phases are mandatory to then create a perfect hands off ACAAN that will blow your spectator’s mind.
Then Tommy describes another well-constructed “Gemini” effect, mixed with a sort of CAAN.
Finally, the climax: a Gemini effect with a triple climax that rocks everything!!
Everything is clearly written and detailed, with a lot of pictures to help you understand the basics and the mechanics of the effect…
Congrats Tommy, you are a genius ;-)

This effect will be available very soon on his website: https://sites.google.com/site/m2mmagictr......nfluence
Hands-off ACAAN - freely chosen card and number : http://doriancaudal.wix.com/miracaan
parmenion
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland/Zürich
3988 Posts

Profile of parmenion
I'm wonder why you post on penny Doriancaudal as you're a nasty disclamers.
You have attacked a friend of mine because he proposes palm reading and real telepathy (ala Finley) on his website.
I think you have nothing to do in mentalism and maybe also in magic!
“I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.”
<BR>Oscar Wilde experimentaliste <br>
<BR>Artist pickpocket Professional
<BR>
<BR>Looking for the best book test in French? send me a PM!
doriancaudal
View Profile
Inner circle
1532 Posts

Profile of doriancaudal
Quote:
On 2012-02-08 03:26, parmenion wrote:
I'm wonder why you post on penny Doriancaudal as you're a nasty disclamers.
You have attacked a friend of mine because he proposes palm reading and real telepathy (ala Finley) on his website.
I think you have nothing to do in mentalism and maybe also in magic!

??? I think you are mistaken!
Hands-off ACAAN - freely chosen card and number : http://doriancaudal.wix.com/miracaan
Sir. Mind Reader
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of Sir. Mind Reader
Would you please comment on whether the effect in this book conform to the requirements I was looking for in this thread:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=82

Namely:

1. Mentalist makes a prediction.
2. Spectator does something.
3. Prediction is shown to be correct.
4. Mentalist explains to spectator the supposed subliminal/verbal suggestion that was used to force them comply with the prediction. This could be through langauge used, props, surroundings etc etc.

Sadly a lot of effects that talk about subliminal whatever don't fulfill the 4th stage - and I really think its only worth using a subliminal presentation if step 4 is met.
Chaz93
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1753 Posts

Profile of Chaz93
For step 4 it's really all about presentation. For instance, I'm sure we're all familiar with the old Circle, Square, Triangle effect. This is a good effect to demonstrate with. You throw a balled up paper out into the audience and instruct whoever catches it to bring it with them and join you on stage. They do so, and you set the paper down. You tell them that in a moment you are going to ask them to make a choice, and that it will be a free choice that you cannot possibly influence. You then take out a sheet of paper from a pocket-sized pad and write something down, fold it into quarters and put it into your pocket. Once this is done you ask your participant which of the three shapes, the circle, square, or triangle they have selected (lets say they choose the the square). You again ask if it was a free choice, and they of course say yes. You remove the folded paper from your pocket and explain that it wasn't actually a free choice, and have them open and read the prediction. "Tonight my participant will choose the Square". You then explain that suggestion is everywhere, even right under our noses... or in this case our feet, and you direct the participants attention to the stairs they walked up to get on stage where they see a card taped down consisting of the three shapes, with the square being bigger than the other two.

M*l*i*l*e O*ts and a P**k*t I*d*x are your friends here.

Basically, any effect can be made to look like a feat of subliminal suggestion or whatever, you just have to get creative with presentation.
Michael Daniels
View Profile
Inner circle
Isle of Man
1609 Posts

Profile of Michael Daniels
Tommy suggests a patter line for Subliminal Influence that reinforces Step 4.

Mike
Sir. Mind Reader
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

That is my point - it is all about presentation, but your presentation has to be supported by your methodology. What I'm asking is whether the effects supplied with this book of "subliminal influence" elegantly deal with this 4th and (in my view) most important aspect. I already have enough methods - what I'm looking for are elegant marriages of the methodology with step 4. What you described is indeed a valid solution to step 4, but its quite generic - there are other more elegant "step 4" in some of the effects listed in the thread linked.

Reading the descriptions they just sound like "tricks" which might be very good in and of themselves. But how strong is this subliminal element? Is it woven into the routining/presentation as delivered? Or is the patter suggestion more of an after thought?

thanks
Chaz93
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1753 Posts

Profile of Chaz93
You really should be constructing your own presentations, rather than looking for them in effects. That is, in my opinion, what is going to make you stand out as a performer and give your audience a good show. Take a method you like and ask yourself "Why would my character do this? How would he present this?" If you're going for the subliminal control thing, look at the venue you are performing in. What aspects of the environment can be used to influence your participants choice? I'm aware that the circle, square, triangle thing is rather generic. That's fine, as I wasn't trying to create anything new or comepletly mind blowing here, just illustrating how you can take something very simple and blow it up to be huge. Perhaps I misunderstand what you are looking for, and if that's the case I apologize.

All the best,

Charles
Chaz93
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1753 Posts

Profile of Chaz93
Also forgot to add, as a newbie I can't go to that link yet, so if I'm just rehashing what's already been said feel free to ignore me Smile
Sir. Mind Reader
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

I'm not sure that you misunderstand - just that I'm looking for higher level stuff. Its hard to discuss it here without getting into methods - but there are some subliminal themed effects where the "step 4" is woven into the entire presentation in a way that is much stronger, venue independent and so on. Several examples are given in that thread. Yes, this places limits on your presentation - but there is still room for maneuver.
entermagic
View Profile
Special user
810 Posts

Profile of entermagic
Finally, I had the pleasure to see this new routine in action.
The first ACAAN looks very good. Gemini effect is almost selfworking.
The participant selects a number and a card with the deck in his hands. He counts
the cards from himself as well. Everything seems out of the magi control.
Infinity Gemini is a multiple coincidence effect. This last one works totally in the
participants hands, the magi doesn't touch deck.

Nice routine.

MP
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Subliminal Influence - Tommaso Guglielmi (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL