The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Comedy Mentalism (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
tgplano
View Profile
Special user
Ted Gillam
614 Posts

Profile of tgplano
I'm looking for some "tricks" to include in my set that provide a little comic relief. I know of Cody Fisher's "Comedy Confabulation". It not only provides comedy but, actually is a mentalism effect. What other "tricks" are out there that serve the same function?

Thanks in advance, Ted
Mentalism for the Metroplex
phillsmiff
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1798 Posts

Profile of phillsmiff
Almost any effect can be rebuilt to make the audience laugh, but if you are looking for a quick fix, then you should check out John Archer's stuff. When you look in a dictionary under Comedy Mentalism there is a small picture of him there*.

*It depends on the edition. The complete Oxford reference dictionary in the local library has a picture of David Berglas with a clown nose on, but I think it might be a misprint.

Phill
The new Elysian Duets, marked cards featuring my unique Optical Marking System:
-+: https://phillsmithcreative.com/products/elysian-duets :+-
Boo de Hoop
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
101 Posts

Profile of Boo de Hoop
What about "Smart Ass"?
Sorry for my English! My German is a little bit better ;-)
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
4005 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
If you want out and out laughs with a medium sized kicker at the end, try Cereal Killer. It's very simple to do and has a minor "this may not work ALL the time" component -- but it gets laughs. Very lightweight...but it's cute.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

My books are here: www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
Tony Razzano
View Profile
Inner circle
South River, NJ
1600 Posts

Profile of Tony Razzano
Celebrity Smart Ass is a very good comedy effect.
Best regards,
<BR>Tony Razzano, Past President, PEA
Winner of the PEA"s Bascom Jones and Bob Haines Awards
Jon_Thompson
View Profile
Inner circle
Darkest Cheshire
2404 Posts

Profile of Jon_Thompson
Educating Archer? John Archer's DVD?
docsteve
View Profile
Inner circle
1831 Posts

Profile of docsteve
Archer every time.
Only problem is its so good, its hard not to just ape him...
[
brucewilcox
View Profile
Loyal user
Readers advised to disregard most of my
266 Posts

Profile of brucewilcox
I'm not sure how well these would fit in an otherwise serious show, but you might want to check out routines by Dr. Sigmund Fraud (Terry Noseck). I have a book of his from the early '80s and while the specifics of some of the effects are rather dated I like his ideas. There's a takeoff of "7 Keys to Baldpate" where a spectator is forced at (toy) gunpoint to lock up his wallet in a box and then place all but one of the lock's keys into the box as well. Don't worry about the gun theme - everything's kept light, and there are lots of good (or bad, depending on your point of view) lines to keep things moving.
...in the Land of the Free, and the Home of the B'Wave.
mindhunter
View Profile
Inner circle
Upstate NY
2280 Posts

Profile of mindhunter
There is a LOT of room to routine many Bank Nite type routines with some great comedic byplay.

Bryn
Bryn D. Reynolds, Author of:
"The Safwan Papers" & "The LOGAR Scrolls" Mentalism ebooks - PM any interest.
My artwork: https://darkmountainarts.com
mrmysticmike
View Profile
Elite user
Cleveland, Ohio
427 Posts

Profile of mrmysticmike
Another vote for Celebrity Smart Ass.
karlito
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of karlito
Maybe any mentalism can be made comedic if you ask the audience to think of rude thoughts etc...
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Making mentalism comedic and adding humor to a mentalism act are two entirely different things.
rhettbryson
View Profile
Elite user
Greenville, SC Not ashamed of his
406 Posts

Profile of rhettbryson
Robert Nelson wrote what I seem to remember was a three volume set of books on "Comedy Mentalism." I know that they can be located on various dealer's online sites. Although a bit dated, they might offer some useful material.
tgplano
View Profile
Special user
Ted Gillam
614 Posts

Profile of tgplano
Mastermindreader, I agree. What I'm trying to do is add something light to my set. I start out with something light. Then I do some serious "mindreading". I'd like to add another light effect to change the pace and then go into my closer.

Thanks all for the suggestions. I'll look at the "Educating Archer" items. I have "Smart Ass", not "Celebrity Smart Ass" and shall look at "Cereal Killer".

However, it still seems as if there are very few "comedy" effects out there. I'm no comedian which is why I am looking for routines with the humor built in.

Thanks all, Ted
Mentalism for the Metroplex
Amirá
View Profile
Inner circle
MentalismCenter.com
5131 Posts

Profile of Amirá
Hey Ted

Any effect can be "lightened" to a place in which you can feel that isn't to serious mentalism and gives you laughs while you do the apparent miracles.

I know that you enjoy Technicolor Prediction. That effect gives you a lot of natural moments of laughs. Other effects can be "comical" if you add some jokes and gag lines such as different card effects,mindreading and even psychokinesis ( as Patrick Kuffs does it).
Larry Becker has several "Mental Magic" pieces ( not to serious Mentalism) that has funny premises.

But for me is far more important to be entertaining rather comical. Sure, I use this technique to my performance, but for me my primal goal is be focuses in the creation of mystery. Also in my opinion too much jokes and comical attention can be dangerous to the performance of powerful mentalism.

I cant recommend any of my own material that is "funny" perse, but any creative performer can take any piece and create "Comedy Mentalism"

Best
Pablo
Performer and Author

Mentalism Center: The best online space to get quality Mentalism
www.mentalismcenter.com

Arkanosophy: The Boutique for Mystery Performers
www.arkanosophy.com
Myke Phillips
View Profile
Inner circle
Myke Phillips
1213 Posts

Profile of Myke Phillips
I have a friend who is a performer and a very good one at that.
he has recently turned to using a lot of gags in his act. Which to be honest, the audience seem to be having a great time laughing.

I often hear them come up to him after his show and say, "your really funny, we loved it".

Nothing wrong with that, that's a nice compliment but not one I aim to get.

I think that gags stratigically pepered throughout your act is a must "for me anyway" but don't over do it if you want to appear to be mysterious.

If I didn't want to appear to be mysterious, I would have become a Magician.

Kindest Regards
Myke Phillips
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2455 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
"I'm no comedian which is why I am looking for routines with the humor built in."

That is a very good thing to know and understand as sadly some people don't. Then they try and be a comedian doing mentalism/magic with painful results.

One of the funniest acts I've seen is Mel Mellers, but that is an excellent example of the fact that Mel Mellers is the comedy and unless you are him, don't go there.

So the aim most of us non-comedians aim for is in injecting naturally occurring humour into our acts and as you are trying to do, lighten the mood a bit. Self-deprecating humour is a great way to cut the ice and come across as a nice guy and win people over.
Winner of the Dumbringer Award for total incompetence. (All years)
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Shrubsole-

It is beginning to frighten me that I seem to agree with almost everything you've been posting lately. Smile

Your observations about the use of humor are dead on.

Bob
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
4005 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
When I started doing shows with even a tinge of mental magic I used an egg bag, which was waved wildly over my head to PRODUCE an egg with a prediction in it. I told my audiences that said egg was delivered overhead by an CIPC (Completely Invisible Psychic Chicken) because the egg appeared from inside a previously empty bag.

It got a great reaction. But it was some time before I started to realize the very real distinction between Mental Magic and actual mentalism. It's impossible to follow the CIPC with the Mother, for example with even a shred of credibility. The audience is expecting a joke and they are going to make one out of whatever you do. The notion of an invisible chicken popping by, complete with SFX to deposit a prediction in my egg bag, makes me smile. But it's not mentalism.

So, as other posters have said, more clearly than I could, comedy grows out of the circumstance. Not the prop.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

My books are here: www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On 2012-02-09 11:44, mastermindreader wrote:
Shrubsole-

It is beginning to frighten me that I seem to agree with almost everything you've been posting lately. Smile

Your observations about the use of humor are dead on.

Bob

Wow, you took that exact same thought right out of my head (about his thoughts on comedy). I too found myself thinking the exact same thing, feeling the exact same thought - frightening, but true.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Comedy Mentalism (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL