The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Cups and Balls (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Desmanthus
View Profile
New user
Frankfort, MI
51 Posts

Profile of Desmanthus
I would like to try some cup and ball magic. I don't have a magic store near me. I read somewhere that paper cups will work fine for the cups. I was wondering what I could use for the balls to get started with.
Thanks a lot
Desmanthus
Sincerely Yours,
Desmanthus

"That is not dead which can eternal lie, for with strange aeons even death may die."
H.P. Lovecraft
Telemus
View Profile
Regular user
Everett WA
128 Posts

Profile of Telemus
Rolled up paper works, Fruit, potatoes, rocks
Anything that fits in the cup works. The cups should nest together well without binding and have space for the "load" between the cups. That is if you want to do a stacking cup routing.

Penn and Teller do an amazing routine with clear plastic cups and little paper balls.
You can spend hundreds of dollars on a Prof. set of cups and balls but will it be more magical?? Remember you can buy excellent props, but it is your personality and ability that makes it "magical".
Telemus
Desmanthus
View Profile
New user
Frankfort, MI
51 Posts

Profile of Desmanthus
Thanks a lot!
I'm a college student so anytime I can get around spending money I'm thankful.
Sincerely Yours,
Desmanthus

"That is not dead which can eternal lie, for with strange aeons even death may die."
H.P. Lovecraft
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4221 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
Doing an 'impromptu' Cups and Balls routine with ordinary cups and paper balls is fine, but remember there might be some 'moves' that you won't be able to do with those items.

On the other hand, I've been experimenting with developing a routine using coffee mugs and those little non-dairy creamers.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
Magique Hands
View Profile
Loyal user
Lincoln, NE.
247 Posts

Profile of Magique Hands
Philemon...

You mention a really neat concept with the
'little coffee creamer' cups. You could definitely use those to do an impromptu '3 Shells & the Pea' bit. You could tear off a piece of napkin, or a piece of the paper that straws are wrapped in, for the 'pea'. Heck, you could even break a cigarette into three little pieces, and use those for the
'balls'.

Now, here's something you don't see everyday... cut two lemons in half, scrape out the insides, and use 3 of the halves for the cups. CRAZY... YES! But definitely unique.

I once saw a magician in Chicago, perform a quickie cups-n-balls with a coffee mug and a martini olive. I have also seen other magicians use olives as well. I think Dave Williamson does a cup thing with an olive, and so does Carney.

Demented For The Moment...
- - Troy
"If you go around sprinkling Woofle Dust on everything... people will think 'My... What an odd character." www.magicmafia.com
secretsonline
View Profile
New user
Canada
6 Posts

Profile of secretsonline
When I first learned the trick (Mark Wilson's Course) I used three styrofoam cups, and cut a red sponge into ball shapes. I also tried cutting them into 2-inch squares, and producing 3 BIG squares.

I was a kid. Terrible. Smile
All the Best Magic Wishes,
Mike Mason
Bernard Sim
View Profile
Inner circle
Singapore
1093 Posts

Profile of Bernard Sim
Try squeezing a piece of bread into a ball. Makes a good piece of impromtu magic with coffee mugs over breakfast. Smile
Bernard Sim
Andy Charlton
View Profile
Veteran user
Palma Nova Mallorca Spain
311 Posts

Profile of Andy Charlton
I use a great routine called "Jiggernaut" From Mark Jennest. Use's an Olive and a Spirit Measure. I've varied it a bit, but it does work well straight off of the instructions.

Cheers

Andy
"Keep that smile on your face, that excitement in your eyes." - Don Driver

Check out www.andyandjeansbigadventure.com
or
www.andysmagic.com
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4391 Posts

Profile of Paul
Pat Page had a good apparently impromtu cup and ball routine on videotape using three coffee mugs and borrowed rolled up £5 notes. A small potato under each cup was the final load. I remember playing with that in the early eighties.

I agree that cups are cups, and there are some ridiculously high priced cups on the market, but I do think metal cups just look better than paper cups.

I must admit I have seen very few "good" performances of cups and balls. Most bore me to tears.

Paul.
DarryltheWizard
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of DarryltheWizard
I feel that every magic club new member, should be able to do a basic routine with the cups and balls, whether they are paper cups or gold cups for that matter.

I do an unusual cups and balls routine using small baseballs, a bat, and a small baseball glove. It has a baseball theme. I end with a production of large baseballs as I sing,
"Take Me Out to the Ball Field" The sleight of hand is not that hard if you practice for ten minutes everyday for the next ten years. Ha! ha! Smile however, the singing, with my voice, takes a large slice of courage!
Darryl the Wizard Smile Smile Smile
DarryltheWizard
"Life without mystery is like a candle
with a snuffed out flame." Albert Einstein
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4391 Posts

Profile of Paul
re;
I feel that every magic club new member, should be able to do a basic routine with the cups and balls whether they are paper cups or gold cups for that matter.

Hmmmm, not sure about that. They may not have had access to the classics. When I was 14 I did a 30 minute audition for my club without including one classic. 32 years later I've still never performed a cups and balls routine for an audience. But I've seen a lot of magicians think they are entertaining people with it when they are not.

I am surprised more people don't use combination cup routines (including chop cups) after all, the chop cup WAS a step forward in cup and ball magic.

Perhaps suggesting newcomers learn ONE classic of magic on joining a club would not be a bad idea, so they get to study and appreciate WHY something is a classic, but of course our suggestions are hardly going to become reality.

I have never considered that magic clubs should be teaching organizations though, they are clubs for magicians to mix with like minded people. Advice can be given, but often is not wanted lol.

Oh, Ken Brooke used a little baseball for his Chop Cup routine, his final load being a little baseball figure, it can be found in
"Ken Brooke: The Unique Years".

Paul Hallas
http://www.PH-Marketing-magic.co.uk
Manipulix
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
174 Posts

Profile of Manipulix
Hi Desmanthus,

here is Manipulix again. I`m a new user.
I feel Telemus is right. In my store I do some cups and balls routines with plastic cups (Adams) and the spectators are amazed.
If I take my copper cups the effect is not better.

Magically yours

Manipulix
What is life without a little bit of magic?
RiffClown
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorktown, Virginia (Previously Germany)
1579 Posts

Profile of RiffClown
Check out the plastic aisle at your local Wal-Mart. Plastic opaque drinking cups come in all kinds of sizes. You might be able to find some that work for your routine and double well to hold water, soda etc.

Practical and Effective ........
Rob "Riff, the Magical Clown" Eubank aka RiffClown
<BR>http://www.riffclown.com
<BR>Magic is not the method, but the presentation.
Joe M. Turner
View Profile
Loyal user
Atlanta, Georgia
249 Posts

Profile of Joe M. Turner
At the restaurant where I perform regularly, I had been bringing in some copper cups and occasionally doing a c & b routine. One night I decided not to worry about it, and it turned out there was a large party where the routine would play well. So I got three coffee mugs, rolled up some sugar packets for balls, and borrowed lemon loads from the kitchen. It played great. I don't take my cups up there anymore as it's just not necessary.

I love metal cups, and the click they make when they nest together smartly... but it's not necessary for the routine I do at the restaurant as there's no nesting whatsoever. Take a look at Lance Burton's c & b performance on his special (I don't know which, sorry) and you'll see that you don't need $1000 cups to do the routine. Use cheap cups and you can give them away at the end.

That said, there are great routines where nesting cups are required, and in some places it will pay to have good looking props. But Vernon's impromptu c & b routine in Stars of Magic uses newspaper wrapped around drinking glasses, and it's a classic.

Have fun...

JMT
Regards,
Joe M. Turner
[email]jmt@turnermagic.com[/email]
www.turnermagic.com
Dr. TORA
View Profile
Inner circle
TURKEY
1447 Posts

Profile of Dr. TORA
Any opaque cup will do, provided that, they don't stick so closely, leaving a small gap for the concealed ball. You can use the balls from a girls hair clips. They work excellent. And in case of a video, I can recommend Aldo Colombini's routines. For me they are perfect. Smile Smile Smile
Magically Yours,

OZLEN TUNCER /Dr.TORA

Have you visited my new Website in English, yet?

www.magictora.com or www.torasmagic.com
magiciandude
View Profile
New user
Utah
67 Posts

Profile of magiciandude
Personally I use sponge balls but rolled up paper works best if you cant get sponge balls.

Hope my words were of help!
Lance R. Wilson
Smile Smile Smile
Magic is the psychology of the audience.
-Lance Wilson
Paul Jester
View Profile
Special user
UK
759 Posts

Profile of Paul Jester
I bought a nice cheap set from Woolworths, they do fine for me, and they're endorsed by one of the greatest magicians of all time.... Sooty! They cost me £2 and they even give you instructions! (Ok, Ok, I know, I'm just trying to make a kiddies toy sound good because I bought it... but really, they work, and are small enough to fit in your pocket!) Hours of endless fun!
Jester Smile
Emmett
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Emmett
I went to a craft store and found a package of four 12" dowels, and a bunch of rubber grapes. So, for around $4 I have four wands and 30 rubber balls.

Does anyone know where I can find cork balls? The craft store didn't have any and I can't think of any other place that would.
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3178 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Emmett

You might try fishing tackle stores for the cork balls.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Michael J. Douglas
View Profile
Inner circle
WV, USA
1649 Posts

Profile of Michael J. Douglas
I started with plastic cups and balls of aluminum foil. It worked great.
Just remember, whatever you use, the balls have to look similar enough to pass for each other!
Michael J.
�Believe then, if you please, that I can do strange things.� --from Shakespeare�s �As You Like It�
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Cups and Balls (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL