The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » AN rip-off? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Tony Razzano
View Profile
Inner circle
South River, NJ
1583 Posts

Profile of Tony Razzano
Apology accepted, Spidey. Thank you. Tell you what...why not get in touch with Millard and discuss it with him. That should settle everything.

And I really do like the other effect on the video.
Best regards,
<BR>Tony Razzano, Past President, PEA
Winner of the PEA"s Bascom Jones and Bob Haines Awards
BSpideyA
View Profile
Regular user
104 Posts

Profile of BSpideyA
"Evidently the guy in the demo video does not have a whole lot of performing experience"

ev·i·dent·ly (v-dnt-l, v-dntl)
adv.
According to the evidence available

that is not an opinion, it is an observation, and I don't just disagree, I have EVIDENCE of the opposite.

Not trying to start something man but making a bold statement like that is a bit of a low blow, there are ways to express your opinion of my style without blasting my experience as a performer, and also if you saw the download you KNOW I don't flail my arms around like that in the actual performance or in the explanation, which also has NOTHING to do with the peek itself. If a magician creates an amazing pass but wiggles his legs as he does it does the wiggling have anything to do with the pass itself? I appreciate your opinion but I feel like the delivery was a bit harsh... no hard feelings though, nothing but respect, and thanks for the kind words on connexion, I use it a lot and I'm glad you enjoyed it, hope it serves you well Smile

thanks,
Spidey
BSpideyA
View Profile
Regular user
104 Posts

Profile of BSpideyA
Ya for sure, I should do that, anyone know how I could reach him? An e-mail or something?
thanks Tony, again I'm glad you enjoyed the second effect Smile
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13139 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
BSpideyA
View Profile
Regular user
104 Posts

Profile of BSpideyA
Thanks Tony Smile

all the best!
Spidey
Amirá
View Profile
Inner circle
MentalismCenter.com
5101 Posts

Profile of Amirá
Still not convincing arguments to left proper crediting behind.

If you were working with Wayne Houchin, why he didn't point out that AN SHOULD be credited? That EVEN gave you more knowledge about the fact that p**k the lower right quarter of a bi**t isn't your original idea.
It was published in an old Al Mann publication from the 70´s.
Pablo
Performer and Author

Mentalism Center: The best online space to get quality Mentalism
www.mentalismcenter.com

Arkanosophy: The Boutique for Mystery Performers
www.arkanosophy.com
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13139 Posts

Pablo

He is contacting Millard. At least he is making the effort!

Tony
Amirá
View Profile
Inner circle
MentalismCenter.com
5101 Posts

Profile of Amirá
Well, hoping that all this gets in order.
I am a little disturbed to know that Theory11 guys will know billet techniques.
Pablo
Performer and Author

www.mentalismcenter.com

www.arkanosophy.com
BSpideyA
View Profile
Regular user
104 Posts

Profile of BSpideyA
Theory11 guys knew about billet technique from Stigmata man, and Theory11 people are not aliens who have access to nothing other than T11, they can do their research.

Besides, I repeat! The ONLY similarity with AN is that the info is written in the bottom right corner, and we judged at the time that it isn't similar enough. It's like that line in the movie "The Social Network"; "a guy who makes a chair doesn't have to pay everyone who built a chair before him". And USUALLY in magic it's the same, people develop each others ideas and credit the original, Mr. Longman seems to be very specific about his idea and where it is allowed to appear, and even though I personally feel like my peek is VERY different than his, I will gladly discuss this with him.

thanks
Spidey
Amirá
View Profile
Inner circle
MentalismCenter.com
5101 Posts

Profile of Amirá
Of course that the CAN know, but they SHOULDNT. Most of the member of that community of guys are magicians or flourish machines (very cool indeed) but nothing related mentalism.

I will release my own billet sw**tch in a video for Ellusionist soon, in which the p**k is done while I make a Polynesia dance. Although isn't an improvement is a funny bit of misdirection.
Pablo
Performer and Author

www.mentalismcenter.com

www.arkanosophy.com
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13139 Posts

Pablo, I don't know where you're coming from.
Who are any of us to say what a person in the industry should not know as far as commercially available technique?
The more we all know, the more rounded we become.

Tony
BSpideyA
View Profile
Regular user
104 Posts

Profile of BSpideyA
Tony,

1000000% agreed! As long as the artist is sincere in his wishes to learn a technique and use it to improve the art we are no one to say who deserves to learn what. Thank you for being the voice of reason, it would have been very easy for you to rip a relatively new member and younger performer like me to threads, it is nice to know that you handle your influence with delicacy. Smile

handled like a master!

Spidey
Amirá
View Profile
Inner circle
MentalismCenter.com
5101 Posts

Profile of Amirá
I imagine now a Youtube tutorial....
"Hello, I will teach you Spidey trick with a piece of paper..."

Acidus Novus DVD was placed with a high price at the beginning for a reason.
Pablo
Performer and Author

www.mentalismcenter.com

www.arkanosophy.com
BSpideyA
View Profile
Regular user
104 Posts

Profile of BSpideyA
I have messages Mr.Longman,

thanks Tony,
Spidey
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13139 Posts

Thank you!
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3727 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
Quote:
On 2012-02-12 22:26, Amirá wrote:
I imagine now a Youtube tutorial....
"Hello, I will teach you Spidey trick with a piece of paper..."

Acidus Novus DVD was placed with a high price at the beginning for a reason.

Well, I don't see anyone teaching any of your $10 tricks on YouTube so why should this be any different Smile

Also, there is no flailing the arms around in this, it's just a simple and small motivated action. Maybe not for everyone but very workable just the same.
JohnWells
View Profile
Inner circle
The Southern Wild
1791 Posts

Profile of JohnWells
I'm not absolutely sure I buy the "nothing like AN" line. The fold is different, slightly, but the actual writing placement and, if you will, mechanism is the same. You've simply taken a step backwards so that instead of an open handling of the billet, it disappears into your fist...Barrie Richardson had an identical idea in print a decade ago. As I said, it's ok. The buy in is cheaper than other peeks. I guess that's a point in its favor...?
BSpideyA
View Profile
Regular user
104 Posts

Profile of BSpideyA
Hey guys so I wrote to Mr.Longman, he has seen the video and here are a few lines from is response, I hope this satisfies your inquiries

[...]Thank you for sending me the link to your video – I enjoyed your performances and explanations except for a couple of times when the filming over your shoulder actually filmed the back of your head.[...]

[...]Let me also state in advance of what you are about to read that you can have my permission to publish any variation of Acidus Novus that you wish to publish.[...]

[...[There are some nice advantages to your [...] method and I would be happy to explore these advantages with you, if you wish to.[...]

In between these lines he directly compares the two concepts, I removed anything that gives anything away about either method. He did show me some stuff that I did not know due to ignorance because I have been using my peek since time eternal and have learned the AN peek from an incomplete source. (my peek is actually based on a coin load, NOT the AN peek)

in either case, Mr.Longman was EXTREMELY gracious and kind, as you can see from the excerpts of our e-mail exchange, and we will now be discussing what sort of crediting he will be happy with, but he seems to enjoy my peek and has granted me full permission to teach it.

thank you to all those of you who remained gracious and classy in your inquires and to those of you who enjoyed my peek and backed me up.

Spidey
Amirá
View Profile
Inner circle
MentalismCenter.com
5101 Posts

Profile of Amirá
Glad to read that Spidey.

I had nothing against you personally and clearly my initial question has an answer now.

Best
Pablo
Performer and Author

www.mentalismcenter.com

www.arkanosophy.com
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13139 Posts

Spidy:

I'm so glad you contacted Millard, this speaks to the kind of person you are.

Thank you for following up and letting us know. I apologize for the distraction here; but through it, or because of it, you have made contact with Millard Longman, one of the nicest and most creative people in the industry.

Best to you,

Tony Iacoviello
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » AN rip-off? (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL