The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » The card magician's state of mind (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

brahm
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of brahm
I just loved all the responses to my last question so much, I figured I'd ask another.

What do you all do, as magicians, to get yourself into the state of mind to preform magic tricks. Are you like a professional athlete who closes his/her eyes minutes before the big competition to visualize the perfect match, do you drink a few beers, or do you not even have a magicians state of mind?
djvirtualreality
View Profile
Inner circle
MayfieldNew York
1347 Posts

Profile of djvirtualreality
I meditate and practice. Simple and easy breathing to get my OBE (Out of Body Experience) and visual a great performence......well sometimes lol. Most of the time I'll just practice A LOT before I'll go out.
Life is an illusion, death is reality.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I'll run through a few slieght to get my hands ready. I'll always slip into a fresh shirt and drycleaned suit for both professionalism and the FEEL of it.

I do a bit of breathing a finger exercise and jump around abit to loosen up
aznviet6uy
View Profile
Veteran user
Santa Rosa, CA
315 Posts

Profile of aznviet6uy
I practice a few sleights to get used to the feelings and a couple finger exercises, like the exercises they make you do so you wont have carpeltunnel, and also drink alot of water, so my voice doesn't crack while performing.

-Chris
shhh..... I see Magicians.....
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
As far as state of mind goes, I don't think I prepare at all. Of course, I'm a bit of a meathead.

I guess I just find myself slipping into the role. I've always been a ham. Always felt like any interacting with people is a bit of a performance. Maybe I just haven't developed a "character".

Good question, though!
Brain... starting to... hurt... too... much... thinking!

Smile
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2766 Posts

Profile of Jordini
I just think of what tricks will probably suit and entertain this audience the best. I do street and card magic, so I sortof go through all my tricks in my head and pick out a couple to perform. Smile Smile
Clarence
View Profile
Regular user
Singapore, City Central, Scotts Road
146 Posts

Profile of Clarence
Before I do a show or perform in front of live spectators, I will ALWAYS warm up my hands first and my deck would have already been broken-in.

It's always a good practice to warm up your hands and yourself before performing.

When my hands get warmed up and I am cool, I'm ready. The warmness of my hands and the little moisture on my fingers will enable me to grip my cards MUCH better and I also wouldn't shake because of the adrenaline rush to know you are doing yourself proud while performing magic.

Smile
eddieloughran
View Profile
Special user
942 Posts

Profile of eddieloughran
I just try and relax.
But do not have a couple of beers as you suggest.
Do not drink while you are working.
You may not only not have full control, but you will smell of drink.
I take it you are young and you don't mean what you wrote but ask older people of big names who have suffered.
Anabelle
View Profile
Special user
951 Posts

Profile of Anabelle
I know my routines pretty well and have done them quite a few times, and since I perform casually almost everywhere and mostly at night, whenever I get the chance I do have a couple of drinks. If I'm performing something new, then I try to concentrate on it just before going into it.

Anabelle Smile
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
For stage work, jump up and down and build your energy just before you go on.

When I worked a comedy club a lot (Comedy Magic Club in Hermosa Beach, Calif.) I could sit in the audience with friends and enter from there (my props were in a bag just offstage, set there when I arrived.

No liquor of any kind. Dulls you, gives you false confidence.

Imprompto close-up. No prep or thought at all, just start fooling people--all in fun style.

Like I am as baffled as they are. Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
prawn_head
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of prawn_head
I just knock back half a bottle of vodka and put on my monkey suit! hahahahaha

but seriously, I just try and relax (deep breaths) and keep my fingers "warm" by doing a few cuts and shuffles (if I am in a show off mood, I may do this in front of my audience and throw in some flourishes but not always). I also go over my routine in my mind, but during the performnce, I find that I usually don't stick to it - depends on the audience! I just try to be myself when I perform so I don't think I really get into any "state" of mind!
Emily Belleranti
View Profile
Veteran user
Tucson, Arizona
349 Posts

Profile of Emily Belleranti
I do some breathing exercises before I perform. I also run through an exercise routine for my hands composed of a few flourishes and sleights. I often take a few sips of water to lubricate my throat, and I remind myself that these are just people I'm performing for. Most of all, I try to relax and clear my head so I can have a successful performance.
"If you achieve success, you will get applause, and if you get applause, you will hear it. My advice to you concerning applause is this: Enjoy it, but never quite believe it."

-Robert Montgomery
brahm
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of brahm
No, I don't drink when I'm about to perform, learned that the hard way, in front of a couple of gorgeous ladies. Thanks for the responses, I'm going to try warming my hands up as many of you have suggested. I get shaky hands and if that helps, GREAT!
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Nothing beats practice and experience.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » The card magician's state of mind (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL