The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Mind Blasters USA - Any Reviews? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
Here are some more descriptions for you…

Through Time and Space Transported by John Riggs – An excellent bizarre effect involving time travel. Not for everyone, but in the right hands this should be awesome! Requires a gimmick and some skills.

Reversal of Fortune by Richard Busch – A mindreading effect using numbers. I really like this trick because it can be done impromptu. No real demands are made on the performer, but the participant will need to have 2nd or 3rd grade math skills. Two ploys are presented and my initial impression is that I like the first one best.

The Deconstructed Eight Kings by Allen Zingg– A stacked deck with some interesting special features.

The World’s 1st Card Trick by Marty Kane – A cute card trick with a Chinese Zodiac theme.

Tarot Four Told by Devin Knight – A mindreading effect using Tarot Cards.

Inception by Jeffrey Bloom – A card trick with a mindreading theme.

Twisted Brothers by Jeffrey Bloom – A card trick involving a mental selection.

And now for some self-serving descriptions:

Advanced L&D – A short bonus e-book I am providing for people who buy Mind Blasters USA from me. It covers some billet related methods for divining the names of the living and the dead.

Beating a Living & Dead Horse – Another short bonus e-book I am providing for people who buy Mind Blasters USA from me. It covers another billet related method for divining the names of the living and the dead. It also includes some valuable tips for the Umbrella Move, getting a “read” and discretely obtaining a “dummy.”

Journal of the Mind – Volume 4, issue 24 (featuring me) – Another bonus item I am providing for people who buy Mind Blasters USA from me. It features some items reprinted from Switchcraft – although one item is significantly revised. It also includes an index by subject for Switchcraft, a list of my favorite items from Switchcraft (at least as of the date the journal was originally published,) and some info from Jheff.

By the way, did I mention that I’m selling Mind Blasters USA?
(That was rhetorical Smile )

Here’s a link to my site:

https://sites.google.com/site/mindblastersusa/

I’ll post more descriptions as I make my way through the e-book.

Elliott
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10177 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I've read the descriptions, I've gone to the web site, that's not what I'm seeking in a review. Descriptions are written to either be a tease or vague. I'm getting the feeling many of these effects are not for stage by the PMs I've received.

This remind me of the Between 3 Minds DVDs from a couple of years ago. There was never much buzz or excitement about it, which was a shame, I liked them as I did the previous set. I would have thought pages would have been written now by all the great name contributors in this. Maybe no review copies were issued or sent out. Maybe there's too much stiff and purchasers are overwhelmed?
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
Quote:
On 2012-02-22 20:03, Mindpro wrote:
Descriptions are written to either be a tease or vague.

I took the time to write some descriptions because you started a thread asking for them. I guess no good deed goes unpunished.
mindhunter
View Profile
Inner circle
Upstate NY
2163 Posts

Profile of mindhunter
Quote:

Maybe there's too much stiff and purchasers are overwhelmed?

I truly think it is taking folks some time to go through the 80 (EIGHTY!) effects and bits in this eBook; more reviews and thoughts will pour in over time. Give the purchasers time; this is a LOT of material to go through. Even if one could use only 10% of the material (much more than THAT is great, and I use this number only as an example) that means EIGHT effects to think & routine through.

I would LIKE a bunch of sales to POUR in all at one because of "new item buzz," but I would LOVE for them to TRICKLE in over many years because this work has stood the test of time. That would mean more to me, as one of the authors of Mind Blasters USA than anything.

I am still honored that "The Safwan Papers" still gets comments several years later. I am only bundling it with MB USA, quite honestly, from a marketing standpoint. I want to generate some of that "buzz" for my upciming next eBook. Simple as that. If you liked SAFWAN, should LOVE my next one.

It is a marathon....not a sprint.

Bryn
*QUARANTINE SPECIAL!!!*
"The Safwan Papers" & "The LOGAR Scrolls Mentalism ebooks - Now just $20 each!

Just PayPal to:
bryn@darkmountainarts.com
(No PayPal account? Just shoot me your email and I'll send you an invoice that can be paid with any card.)

REVIEWS:
" The Safwan Papers":
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=253272&forum=15

"THE LOGAR SCROLLS":
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=464100&forum=303&70

Browse my Artwork!
https://www.darkmountainarts.com
Facebook & Instagram: #DarkMountainArts
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10177 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On 2012-02-22 21:27, ElliottB wrote:
Quote:
Descriptions are written to either be a tease or vague.

I took the time to write some descriptions because you started a thread asking for them. I guess no good deed goes unpunished.

No, I asked for reviews, not descriptions. Perhaps you misunderstood my interest or post. I've received the descriptions from three or four of the contributors that are also selling this as well. Each of these sites and e-mails offers the descriptions. I had those before even starting this post. It was reviews and a breakdown of the effects for stage, closeup, etc. that was one of the things I was seeking, plus trying to get an idea of purchaser's (not contributor's) favorites.

As I said, it must be because of the size that reviews are slow in coming. I would have also thought much more would have been said about the effects from Bernstein, Riggs and Hickok as we haven't seen much of them around here lately. These were some of the things that got my interest and have me curious. I would imagine Chuck's contributions would be for stage and corporate work. Just trying to get an idea of the others.
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
Quote:
Each of these sites and e-mails offers the descriptions. I had those before even starting this post.

Which sites offer descriptions of the effects?

I have received a fair number of emails asking for descriptions of the effects (I assumed you must have been one of the people who emailed me, but I guess I was wrong.) So far, I have been directing those requests to this thread, where I agreed to provide descriptions as I study each effect.

But, if there are several sites already offering the descriptions, I can save myself a lot of effort.

Can you post some links?

Elliott
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10177 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I really do not remember where I had seen these, as I have been reading several forums posts on this as well as being bombarded by several people (mostly contributors to the project) that are also selling it (Patrick Redford, Bryn, Paul, Sean, and I can't remember how many others). Most seem to include a listing or the TOC of effects and who contributed, and as I said a few descriptions have been forthcoming since the TC/listing really says nothing. Personally I do think this is the greatest detriment to the marketing of this project, but I'm sure it may be for specific reason, who knows. I think it's trying to be marketed on the names of those involved, rather than the specific content, which is fine and I understand. It does however leave the curious or interested with a lot of questions and the need for additional info, that's all I'm saying.
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
Yeah, the TOC image provided to the authors (and the TOC in the book) lists the author and effect names, but no descriptions.

As a co-author, I am not in a position to write a proper review.

But, if there is still any interest, I can certainly keep posting descriptions as I make my way through the e-book (and even though I am not writing a formal review, I can still comment about the items that I really like.)
ibraa
View Profile
New user
United Kingdom
51 Posts

Profile of ibraa
Look like I have to purchase another book.. Smile
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
Here’s one more, but it’s a good one…

Sugar from the Orient by Christopher Taylor and Matthew Johnson – The Mentalist turns away while a participant peeks at one of four ESP symbols. The mentalist turns to face the participant and can now know which symbol was peeked at. This appears to be a new principle and it’s great for all sorts of impromptu presentations. I really like this item and would feel happy if I paid $10 for it alone.
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
Here are 8 more…

Picture Duplication Done Cold by Bruce Bernstein– I liked this one a lot. The method itself is probably already known to many. But Mr. Bernstein goes about it so cleverly, and the way he presents it to the audience makes so much sense. It’s just very well done. But what is it, exactly? Well, it’s (sort of) a drawing duplication for the stage or a large group. Although it should play well by itself, it is really best for times when your props don’t work correctly or circumstances prevent you from doing your regular drawing duplication. This is another item I would have happily paid $10 for. It’s not about the method (which I was already familiar with,) but the extremely valuable tips and details Mr. Bernstein provides.

I’ve got the World on A String by Mark Strivings – An effect for an audience of 40 – 80 people. It is kind of like “Out of this World,” but with papers in envelopes, pendulums and a lot of audience participation. Very interesting.

Timber! by Mark Strivings – A spooky presentation using certain gimmicked wooden items. It looks like it would be fun for certain occasions. However, I do not own the gimmicks.

Back it Up by Cameron Francis – A card trick where you predict a chosen card and also divine another spectator’s card and the number of cards dealt.

Pinpoint by Cameron Francis – A card trick involving the location of a selected card and the prediction of a thought of card.

The Lincoln, Nebraska Set by Rolando Santos – Four mentally themed effects with a deck of cards. They can be performed individually or together.

Memorized Deck Mastery by Dennis Loomis – An essay on memorized decks and learning to use them.

Harry Anderson’s Yard Sale Deck Using the Aronson Stack – This is a very nice trick using the Aronson Stack or some other memorized deck. Harry Anderson’s original effect is explained, as well as Dennis Loomis’s variation. I’m not sure how to categorize the effect (maybe “impossible coincidence,”) but I like it nonetheless.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10177 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Thanks Elliott, I enjoyed the Bernstein & Strivings breakdowns. Have you gotten to the Chuck Hickok or Riggs material yet? I'm curious as to hear about these. I would think Hickok's are stage effects too.
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
You’re very welcome.

I thought the Riggs effect was awesome (I think I mentioned it in one of my earlier posts.) It is sort of a bizarre routine involving transporting an object through time. While not traditional mentalism, it is the sort of routine that someone with a powerful personality (like John Riggs, for example) can make into something phenomenal. If you want to perform the routine, you will need to purchase a certain gimmick, though. You will also need a certain skill. It is a fairly common skill for mentalists these days.

I have not read the Chuck Hickok stuff yet. I’ll try to cover that next.

Elliott
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
OK. Here comes the Chuck Hickok material…

“The $400 Secret – My Gift to Serious Mentalists” by Chuck Hickok – An effective way to introduce yourself to people during a show. Mr. Hickok was once paid $400 to watch a show and provide feedback. He was told that the tips from this article alone were worth twice the $400 fee. That being said, this is not a trick.

“Getting the Audience to Believe in Their Mental Ability” by Chuck Hickok – A stage presentation from “Mentalism, Incorporated,” where the performer teaches the audience to say the alphabet backwards. Also includes an essay covering NEW revisions and modifications to the presentation. This item looks very commercial and professional.

“BOHT” by Bryn Reynolds – A BOLD method for “Which hand?” effects. BOHT seems especially useful for when your regular methods fail and you have no clue which hand the object is in. An “out” like this can be very valuable. BOHT is also in The Safwan Papers.

I think that makes 32 descriptions so far, plus the Un-crushed description from Paul. It is taking time, but we are getting there.

Elliott
DT3
View Profile
Inner circle
Hill Valley
1918 Posts

Profile of DT3
I'll second how cool Matthew Johnson and Christopher Taylor's contribution is. Rare to read a method for an effect you have never read before, and as far as I know this is unique and new.
mindhunter
View Profile
Inner circle
Upstate NY
2163 Posts

Profile of mindhunter
Elliot:

Thanks for posting these descriptions. Being one of the contributors, I've gotten some requests for them too, and didn't really want to write up 80 of them! Also, thanks for your description of BOHT.

Bryn
*QUARANTINE SPECIAL!!!*
"The Safwan Papers" & "The LOGAR Scrolls Mentalism ebooks - Now just $20 each!

Just PayPal to:
bryn@darkmountainarts.com
(No PayPal account? Just shoot me your email and I'll send you an invoice that can be paid with any card.)

REVIEWS:
" The Safwan Papers":
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=253272&forum=15

"THE LOGAR SCROLLS":
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=464100&forum=303&70

Browse my Artwork!
https://www.darkmountainarts.com
Facebook & Instagram: #DarkMountainArts
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
You’re very welcome, Bryn.

Here is another effect description.

“Hemimental” by Jheff – A variation on the opener from Jheff’s act. A random participant is shown a deck of cards. All the cards are different. He cuts to a card, and it is the card the performer predicted. Very nice.

I’ll keep posting as I make my way through the book.

Elliott
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10177 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Yes thanks, these details and descriptions are much appreciated. Thanks for the Hickok insights.
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
You’re very welcome.

Here are two more…

“DSP: Digital Sports Prediction” by Danny Archer –A package with a digital recorder is mailed to some important individual. The package is opened during a show. The recorder is removed and played, and you are proven to have accurately predicted the score of a sports event. This is a good one!

“The Card and Cash Visual Matchup” by Scott F. Guinn – Scott wrote that this is the single strongest effect he has ever performed in any venue and that he often receives standing ovations after performing it. Need I say more? Well, I will anyways. This is sort of a cross between Bank Nite and a serial number divination, and it’s really good. Best of all, Scott provides his complete patter, which is absolutely hilarious. I would be happy if I paid $15 for this routine alone.

Elliott
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
Here is another one.

“Tell Tell Water” by Devin Knight – A unique pseudo scientific playing card revelation using water and a gimmick, which you will need to make. Devin writes that the effect is strong enough to close a show. At first, I wasn’t so thrilled with this item, as I’m not much of a card guy. Then I realized that the idea can easily be applied to the revelation of anything within the context of a given presentation. So, for example, a participant writes her thought on a pad or business card for later verification (heh-heh.) Then you proceed in a manner similar to what Devin describes with the playing card revelation, which is also similar to those ubiquitous body language (tone of voice, etc.) themed presentations, but you’ll be using the Tell Tell Water presentation and gimmick. It is likely that Mr. Knight already thought of this, but, if not, I’ll happily take credit Smile

Elliott
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Mind Blasters USA - Any Reviews? (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL