The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Acar of Penguin Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
We found out during the Franz lecture that Acar is a Turkish name and his name is pronounced Ajar ( like "a jar" ). FYI in case you see him at conventions or talk on the phone.

He's turned Penguin into a fantastic company. I've ordered from them since they took over from MagicSmith and always had good experiences. Now with "Live" help, live lectures and incredible service, they are my go to place for magic.

Clarke
Lar
View Profile
Veteran user
New Port Richey, FL
318 Posts

Profile of Lar
Always had a good experience with Penguin.

I especially like the cartoon caricatures they do of the magicians whose products they sell. They're very funny.

Regards,

Laurence.
FrenchDrop
View Profile
Inner circle
I can name that tune in
1647 Posts

Profile of FrenchDrop
Interesting, Clarke. Now if I could just learn the correct pronunciation for "Dai." Smile

Seriously, though -- I hear magicians pronouncing it like "Dye" all the time...but the one magician I've heard who actually knew Vernon -- Harry Riser -- pronounces it like "Day."
"A great magician has said of his profession that its practitioners '… must pound and rack their brains to make the least learning go in, but quarrelling always comes very naturally to them.'” -- Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell
desprado2
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles, California
119 Posts

Profile of desprado2
Is Acar the brother of Alvo Stockman?
"Treat others the way you want to be treated."
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
On 2012-02-10 14:49, FrenchDrop wrote:
Interesting, Clarke. Now if I could just learn the correct pronunciation for "Dai." Smile

Seriously, though -- I hear magicians pronouncing it like "Dye" all the time...but the one magician I've heard who actually knew Vernon -- Harry Riser -- pronounces it like "Day."

It seems the West Coast guys pronounced it DIE. East Coast ( and Tommy Wonder ) pronounced it "DAY". His name is David, so "Day" seems the correct way. Although the Professor never seemed to correct anyone. Maybe because his actual name is David Verner, he didn't care. Although asked which he preferred, he'd say 'Either,Eithor"
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5840 Posts

Profile of motown
Johnny Thompson also pronounces it "Day" (Dai).
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
FrenchDrop
View Profile
Inner circle
I can name that tune in
1647 Posts

Profile of FrenchDrop
Okay, I'm goin' with "Day," then. Thanks!
"A great magician has said of his profession that its practitioners '… must pound and rack their brains to make the least learning go in, but quarrelling always comes very naturally to them.'” -- Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell
billmarq
View Profile
Special user
State near Arizona
570 Posts

Profile of billmarq
But ... on his Revelations videos the Professor himself pronounces his name to rhyme with "dye."
Honi soit quit mal y pense.
ReviewerMaster
View Profile
Veteran user
307 Posts

Profile of ReviewerMaster
Acar looks like Alvo.
JCheng
View Profile
Veteran user
309 Posts

Profile of JCheng
I think Acar is Alvo. I'm not sure.
FrenchDrop
View Profile
Inner circle
I can name that tune in
1647 Posts

Profile of FrenchDrop
Quote:
On 2012-02-11 00:40, billmarq wrote:
But ... on his Revelations videos the Professor himself pronounces his name to rhyme with "dye."

GAH! Smile
mayniac
View Profile
Special user
570 Posts

Profile of mayniac
Yeah Alvo was basically a pen name for Acar when he put out his products. Great guy!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Acar of Penguin Magic (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL