The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Page by Page (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3260 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
I recived this beautiful produced book yesterday.
Will start reading it as soon as I can.
Anyone else that have read it and can coment on it?
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
Hej Peo,

I'd love to hear more about the book once you've had a chance to go through it.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3260 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
Motown,

If you open this link and scroll down a bit, you can read Steve Bryant's rewiev of Page by Page:
http://littleegyptmagic.com/magic.html
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
Thanks Peo.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
volto
View Profile
Special user
603 Posts

Profile of volto
Yep, got it and read it. Absolutely fantastic.
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3260 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
Quote:
On 2012-02-13 05:49, volto wrote:
Yep, got it and read it. Absolutely fantastic.

nods
volto
View Profile
Special user
603 Posts

Profile of volto
I got it a little while ago. Relevant threads here:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=41
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......um=110&5

The gist is, if you think you might like the book, you definitely will. Smile

The striking thing about the book is that (as Page himself says) it contains the actual material that he used to make a living. So that makes it different to most magic books in a few ways:
There's no filler.
The material is written up by the guy who created and performed it.
It's all very polished, lots of subtleties that you only get when you start rehearsing the routines.
The tips on where to focus are brilliant. Page points out when a sleight matters and when it doesn't.

Page's style is quite distinctive. For instance, among the current crop of inventors I'm a big fan of both Garrett Thomas and Eric Jones, both of whom are brilliant, and (in my opinion) tend towards inventive use of sleights and gimmicks. Page's style (again, in my opinion) tends toward inventive use of timing and attention. With Page, the sleights and gimmicks tend to be less important - it's all about timing, showmanship and the routine. Now, that's a terrible blanket statement and there are examples of Page's material being sleight or gimmick-heavy, and Thomas and Jones' material being timing-based, but that's just how their work feels to me. That doesn't make the Page material easier in any way - actually I'm finding a lot of it hard to get right, simply because the only way to get the timing right is to see how the routine and gags play in front of an audience. The routines and bits I've tried have gone great (the coin vanish in hank, the silk dying routine, some of the card material, the knee production, the sponge ball routine - the one with the brilliant counting sequence - and the bowl routine).

The sponge ball counting sequence is a great example of what I mean. It's simple but fun and it floors people. Likewise the single deck "do as I do", which is easy in terms of sleights, but takes real guts to perform.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Page by Page (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL