The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Red Bag Card Trick - Performance & Tutorial (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

AdamChance
View Profile
Special user
656 Posts

Profile of AdamChance
Hey guys... here's a trick I came up with. enjoy!

Red Bag Card Trick Performance - (hint: I trained my cat to do a card switch!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbfGZEUPuu0

Red Bag Card Trick Tutorial
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSML8Qxdi1g
Waterloophai
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1202 Posts

Profile of Waterloophai
topchange52
View Profile
Regular user
175 Posts

Profile of topchange52
Hi a question for Waterloophai, why would you want to post a complete explanation on youtube? This seems to be exposure to a mass audience rather than something for magicians. The idea is not yours it goes back to the K***n deck and probably beyond. You say this is one of your strongest tricks so why explain it?
Regards........................
Waterloophai
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1202 Posts

Profile of Waterloophai
Quote:
On 2012-02-12 04:52, topchange52 wrote:
Hi a question for Waterloophai, why would you want to post a complete explanation on youtube? This seems to be exposure to a mass audience rather than something for magicians. The idea is not yours it goes back to the K***n deck and probably beyond. You say this is one of your strongest tricks so why explain it?
Regards........................

Didn't you make a mistake?
I have never (and will never) put a trick on YouTube or other medium.
jerome96114
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of jerome96114
Quote:
On 2012-02-12 04:52, topchange52 wrote:
Hi a question for Waterloophai, why would you want to post a complete explanation on youtube? This seems to be exposure to a mass audience rather than something for magicians.(...)

Well, It does not have to be ...
He just needs to change settings to "not listed video" and it will be only watchable for those who have the link (e.g. the magicians on that forum).
topchange52
View Profile
Regular user
175 Posts

Profile of topchange52
[/quote]

Didn't you make a mistake?
I have never (and will never) put a trick on YouTube or other medium.
[/quote]

Am I missing something here? This is not a private link but can be viewed by anyone on youtube.
Regards..........
Gianni
View Profile
Special user
WILMINGTON, DE
992 Posts

Profile of Gianni
I'd have to echo topchange52's original question to the OP: why in the world would an adult take the time to post a routine card trick on youtube - and then expose it? I understand why 12 year-olds do it, but not an adult. So to AdamChance, can you explain your thoughts?

Gianni
AdamChance
View Profile
Special user
656 Posts

Profile of AdamChance
Quote:
On 2012-02-12 18:02, Gianni wrote:
I'd have to echo topchange52's original question to the OP: why in the world would an adult take the time to post a routine card trick on youtube - and then expose it? I understand why 12 year-olds do it, but not an adult. So to AdamChance, can you explain your thoughts?

Gianni

why not? it's pretty much only magicians that look at the channel anyways. go to the card trick teacher dot com... they explain how to do all sorts of card tricks are done. so I'm just contributing to the community since I've learned lots of great tricks from youtube tutorials also. I'd like to see other people performing the trick and improving it and having fun with it. so why keep it all to myself and the few people I perform it for?

I bet that if I released this trick on DVD and charged money to make a profit off the trick, no one would have a problem with that right? but if you give a trick away for free, that's bad somehow? I don't really understand what the problem is...
Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
3079 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
Adam, the problem is there is no blatant exposure here. Yes there are a few areas to visit here on the Café once you contribute and reach a specific amount of post where ideas are shared etc but nobody here post or link to tutorials such as this one. It is not a matter of free vs selling although this is such an old idea it would not be yours to sell anyway.
Nothing Personal-Strictly Business
jerome96114
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of jerome96114
Quote:
On 2012-02-12 20:13, Rizzo wrote:
Adam, the problem is there is no blatant exposure here. Yes there are a few areas to visit here on the Café once you contribute and reach a specific amount of post where ideas are shared etc but nobody here post or link to tutorials such as this one. It is not a matter of free vs selling although this is such an old idea it would not be yours to sell anyway.

Come on! Apparently the Café even tolerates it when illegal DVD-Copies are sold via it (And yes, I am still angry about that fact. And yes, I informed the mods. And no: nothing happened), and in the open part from the forum from time to time free e-books are released, and usually get positive Feedback, And Pen & Teller are usually praised in wich-ever Topic about them (eventhough they revealed the Cups and Balls ... To Laymen [!]) so I think revealing tricks based upon old, apparently in public domain, principles, here on a MAGICIANs' forum isn't morally wrong in any kind.

but of course you are right that he should not reveal to laymen. But - as written before - he could easily keep his vids and not reveal to laymen, by not listing them, or only list them for friends (and only accept magicians as youtube-friends).
AdamChance
View Profile
Special user
656 Posts

Profile of AdamChance
Quote:

ya, I know it's an old idea... but I came up with this way to present it myself. maybe others present it in a similar way... but I've never seen anyone do the trick this way. I wouldn't expose a magic trick that someone else came up with... but I feel that if you create your own trick, or make a big enough improvement on existing ideas, than it's up to you if you want to share your ideas with other people.
jerome96114
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of jerome96114
Quote:
On 2012-02-12 23:00, AdamChance wrote:
Quote:

ya, I know it's an old idea... but I came up with this way to present it myself. maybe others present it in a similar way... but I've never seen anyone do the trick this way. I wouldn't expose a magic trick that someone else came up with... but I feel that if you create your own trick, or make a big enough improvement on existing ideas, than it's up to you if you want to share your ideas with other people.

Yes. But not to laymen. And yes: they do search youtube for reveals.
Why do you think the masked magicians TV-Show became that successfull back then; Because noone watched it ?!?
topchange52
View Profile
Regular user
175 Posts

Profile of topchange52
Hi just to clarify my earlier posts I should have addressed the question to AdamChance not Waterloophai my mistake, apologies to the latter.
Regards Steve..........
AdamChance
View Profile
Special user
656 Posts

Profile of AdamChance
Quote:
On 2012-02-13 01:08, jerome96114 wrote:

Yes. But not to laymen. And yes: they do search youtube for reveals.
Why do you think the masked magicians TV-Show became that successfull back then; Because noone watched it ?!?

have you ever done a magic trick for someone and had them say "i know how you did that trick, I looked up a reveal for that trick on youtube a few months ago". I've never had anyone say that to me. has anyone on these forums ever performed for laymen and had them tell you they saw a kid do a tutorial for the trick you're doing on youtube? these magic trick reveal videos get a few hundred or a few thousand views at most. that's nothing. and most of the people watching the videos are magicians or people interested in magic to some degree. the average person on the street doesn't spend their time looking at magic trick reveals on youtube. besides, there are thousands of different magic tricks... you really think people watch reveals for hundreds or thousands of different tricks?

the only time when people know how a trick is done beforehand, is if they had a magic set as a kid (and knows about a thumb tip or something)... or saw a popular show like the masked magician.

so I think if someone wants to post a performance for a trick, and then do a tutorial, and post it on a discussion forum for magicians... what's the harm in that? how am I supposed to get advice on a trick if I don't explain how I'm currently performing the trick? I would like other people to learn how the trick is done so that they can perform it themselves.

it's true that a show like the masked magician was popular and people enjoyed watching it when it was on TV... but exposing all the standard great magic tricks on television for millions of people is very different than posting a card trick tutorial on youtube, on a channel that is really only going to be viewed by people interested in magic.
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
Adam says, in his first post that he "...came up with..." this trick. If this is true then it's a case of independent discovery. Most magicians know this as Al Koran's 101 Deck. Over the years many magicians have created variations of this, including Simon Aronson and myself. Simon and I hit upon the same idea... since you are working with a highly gimmicked deck anyway, why not have it marked so that the cards can be dealt face down. However, Simon and I used different marking systems. His version is still in print, and my version is still on the market under the name Mentalism 101. In my version there is a sealed envelope on the table from the beginning and after the selection, the envelope is opened to show a single card inside which matches the prediction. This is an effect description... not meant to be taken literally. The envelope is gimmicked, of course. I do explain a different version which uses two envelopes and the inner envelope is ungimmicked and can be left with the spectator.

Multiple out routines can be very strong but there are pitfalls. In this case, the deck cannot be examined, nor can the bag be looked at (unless the card selected is the one which is predicted in the bag.) The joker also cannot be looked at, usually. These are the kinds of things which magicians or mentalists have to learn to handle. In this case it's hard to mix this effect with other card tricks unless you are prepared to do a good deck switch.

Dennis Loomis

P. S. Blatant plug: if you do not care to get five decks of cards and do the necessary collating, Mentalism 101 is still on the market. If your dealer does not have it, they can get it through Murphys.
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Red Bag Card Trick - Performance & Tutorial (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL