We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Focus by Phil Goldstein (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2589 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
This is a packet trick book full of diverse material–both in method and effect. The quality is high throughout and if you are a fan of packet tricks you're going to love this. For additional information and a full video review (with demos) please visit:

http://www.magicbookreport.com/2012/02/f......ldstein/

Thanks for your time.
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

Come visit Magic Book Report.com!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3144 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
Attaboy.
JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
magicmaninsd
View Profile
Regular user
San Diego, CA
199 Posts

Profile of magicmaninsd
Focus is awesome! Also has some marketed effects in it which makes it worth the price.
AngeloR
View Profile
Elite user
441 Posts

Profile of AngeloR
This book is loaded with great effects.

While perusing the various posts on the Café recently, I was made aware of an impressive effect that I had overlooked in Focus. The effect is named "Tearable", and IMO the handling is straight-forward and packs a punch. It requires a special "something" that is readily available (and most cardworkers probably have), but I think it's a worker. Check it out.

Angelo
Dr. JK
View Profile
Inner circle
Sandusky, OH
1095 Posts

Profile of Dr. JK
Great, thanks, Steven. Now I have *another* book to add to my wishlist. Smile Keep up the great work. Loving the reviews!!!
- Jeff Kowalk, The Psychic CPA
www.youtube.com/eruditemagic
IG: @erudite.magic
FB: @eruditemagic
sublime80
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of sublime80
Good review. the books good and worth gettting
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6022 Posts

Profile of motown
His Picasso's Aces is a favorite of mine from this book.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6785 Posts

Profile of magicfish
So many gems in this one
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7020 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
LOVE Focus!
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Max Maven is such a prolific creator! I would love to see a Focus II. Perhaps someday, there could be a Max Maven/Phil Goldstein in Print - similar to Stewart James in Print. I would argue that such a mammoth book would be a landmark compilation worthy of legendary book status. One can only hope.

Vlad
KyleMacNeill
View Profile
Inner circle
2758 Posts

Profile of KyleMacNeill
Great book, LOVE Overture!
Agreed Vlad!
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2589 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
Thanks, guys! And I wholeheartedly agree that this is an excellent book. One issue I always have with packet tricks, though, is the general lack of presentation. We have cards transposing, appearing, disappearing, turning face up and down for generally no reason. That is why Bannon's Mega'Wave is so nice because he has a thread about the differences between magicians and mentalists finding a chosen or thought of card.

The funny thing is this never bothered me at all before. The longer I dabble in card magic the more that it gnaws at me. Not so much that I won't perform these types of tricks, but enough that I don't perform them as much as I used to.
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

Come visit Magic Book Report.com!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
Atlas
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of Atlas
I had no idea that Max was so prolific until today when I saw what purports to be a near complete set of Maven/Goldstein books on EBay. That drove me here. I wouldn't mind some feedback on whether these books would be of value. It includes Thunday, Thequal, Amperthand, Notions, Fifth, Doth, Thabbatical, and Thavant. Does anyone have any experience with these books or feedback on quality of effects for a mentalist routine? I know with Max Maven (Phil Goldstein), you can't really go wrong, but if anyone has firsthand feedback, that would be great.

Oh, and are they really all that rare?
KyleMacNeill
View Profile
Inner circle
2758 Posts

Profile of KyleMacNeill
I think I have Thunday, it has some neat ideas though there are some mistakes in the first effect.
I got it second hand for a good price, don't know how rare it is.
There are some really clever mathematical ideas though in that.
I love Goldstein stuff and hope to get more of it in the future! Smile
All of his magazine contributions are amazing.

Best,

Kyle
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Focus by Phil Goldstein (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL