We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Three by Steve Valentine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5339 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Sorry - missed a few posts; (I do that a lot without notifications!)

I did end up ordering this from Wizard HQ. Smile

Thanks!

Jim
Silver Glove Magic
View Profile
Veteran user
Magic... coast to coast, here's to another...
334 Posts

Profile of Silver Glove Magic
Quote:
On 2012-05-07 12:52, J-Mac wrote:
Sorry - missed a few posts; (I do that a lot without notifications!)

I did end up ordering this from Wizard HQ. Smile

Thanks!

Jim

Same here Jim, this one went straight into my act soon as it arrived in the mail. Amazing.
Posting ever so slightly.
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4354 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
As transparent as this is to a modern magician (I know, who cares?), it's such a great piece to have in one's act. I'll be putting my order in very soon.
Silver Glove Magic
View Profile
Veteran user
Magic... coast to coast, here's to another...
334 Posts

Profile of Silver Glove Magic
I read the Apple will be carrying refills soon. Smile
Posting ever so slightly.
TheGreatRaymondo
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, England
968 Posts

Profile of TheGreatRaymondo
I have been working with this for around a month now attempting to perfect the moves and routine. Still not quite finished but not far away from hitting the streets.. And I have to say this is one serious heavy weight, highly entertaining 3 Card Monte effect!
The effect comes with all of the cards required and 2 gaffed cards are provided (one for practice and one for performance) so it is straight out of the box and into practising. The DVD is genuinely excellent, very comprehensive and thorough in every sense of the word. All of the cards, the set-up, the moves, switches, routines and phases (of which there are 5) are explained in detail and shown from two different camera angles – one angle as the spectator and one angle as the performer. The gaff used is deceptively simple but due to its clever construction it allows you to spread and show far more of the card than is usual or possible in such routines. It also means that no reset is required in any way.

Steve's instruction and tuition leaves nothing to be unsure about in any way. He performs multiple demonstration routines (one in close up on the hands) with his truly superb and original patter – which just makes the routine flow by. His patter and timing is just so darn good it is going to be very difficult indeed for anyone not to use it the way he does - In fact he actually encourages you to use it especially ‘Rule number 2 of the 3 Card Club!
The majority of the moves are fairly basic and can be mastered with a little practice. A couple of them when additional cards are added are not so basic but again, nothing that can’t be overcome with practice to get down smoothly. As the routine progresses and the gaffed card is switched out (so you end perfectly clean) a little sleight of hand is required but again nothing ridiculously hard. An alternative ‘final flurry’ as Steve calls it is also shown using the gaffed card if you don’t wish to hand the cards out for inspection which gives you a number of additional different moves to finish on also. (I personally prefer to finish clean so you can throw the cards one after another on the table or into the hands of the spectator for inspection which I feel from the spectators view point makes the routine even more amazing)
On the DVD Steve talks about this being ‘Jazz magic’ which in other words you can simply make it up as you go along deciding what moves and phases to put in or take out depending how you feel or how the performance is going. This gives the routine a very high degree of versatility so you can do a quick 1 minute performance or a much longer 5 minute performance depending on how you feel. This flexibility allows you to construct your own personal routine(s) so you are not tied down to a strict order of switches, moves or phases as you are with some other Monte routines.

The DVD also covers a number of additional and extra things like tuition on an Elmsley count etc if you are not familiar with them.
During the DVD Steve gives out numerous and multiple credits and acknowledgments to other performers regarding the origin, source and genesis of the moves and switches which are incorporated into his version of this classic routine.

There is no doubt that this will take some practice with both the moves and patter – but then again which good magic worth learning and performing doesn’t? But I can say it will be worth every single minute spent working on it. For me this version of the 3 card Monte by Mr Valentine is a modern classic and I don’t hesitate to give it 10/10.
We are inclined to believe those whom we do not know because they have not yet deceived us...
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
2544 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
Agree 10/10. Not self working to have it look great but one of my few routines that gets spontaneous applause.
Hugh Entwistle
View Profile
Regular user
177 Posts

Profile of Hugh Entwistle
Is the gaff just a specially printed card? Like from a gaff deck or does it have 'other parts' to it.
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
2544 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
It is a printed not a mechanical card
Bob Kohler
View Profile
Special user
703 Posts

Profile of Bob Kohler
Steve's a great guy, a brilliant magician and of couse a world class actor.
The routine is a go to routine from a real pro. IMO spending $50 on a routine you will use in any situation that delivers amazed spectators is a bargain at this price point.
You'll carry 3 everywhere you go instead of putting it in a drawer with "the collection".
www.bobkohlermagic.com

Home of the BK Pro Line
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
2544 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
The question always comes up, "what is "real worker" worth". Bob is no stranger to charging high prices for his workers but I certainly agree with him here. This is 15 bucks more than your usual one trick DVD but is a complete routine that could easily be one of 1-2 tricks in a strolling set. It really gets gasps, is modular if you need to move on after one or two phases and has a tremendous climax.
Readers will note I have several posts on this trick. No relationship with Steve and I only post about things I think are great or terrible. This is great.
rowland
View Profile
Inner circle
1405 Posts

Profile of rowland
For me one of the best things about it is it's versatility, the routine can be adapted by adding or removing some of the phases. Also another big plus point for me is that the whole routine can be done in your hands eliminating the need for spectators to handle the cards or the need for a table. This is the perfect walk around trick.
Only downside for me at the moment is that there doesn't seem to be any UK dealers that have the refills for it. I have worn one of them out practicing the routine so I only have one to use for performance so really need to get some replacements from somewhere.
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2491 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
This is a great effen trick.

GREAT.

Having just written a book on Theodore DeLand, I've seen enough gimmicked cards for a lifetime. The gimmmick that comes with this is printed, and is a very clever tweak to an existing type of gimmicked card that allows you to do "shows" that seem to preclude its use because they're so clean.

Personally, I think Steve's entire routine is too long for me. The great thing is that it's modular and you can easily remove segments. But you'll definitely want to keep the final segment because that's when your eyeballs will pop out of your head.
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
2544 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
Hey Richard, D Wax here. I have also shortened it a little but really a great routine.
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2491 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
Mr. Wax, so nice to see you and the little Wax in Vegas.
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
2544 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
Indeed, take care.
jcrabtree2007
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of jcrabtree2007
I just purchased this effect. Wow , it is great. I'm keeping it in my wallet so I have it on me at all times. GreAt effect. Great routine.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Three by Steve Valentine (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL