The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » New Biz Card (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Really like it - especially the half face.
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3288 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Try this as a more up to date style of the phone number and see if you like it

Bad to the Balloon
View Profile
Inner circle
Clearwater Florida
2116 Posts

Profile of Bad to the Balloon
Quote:

My two cents...

• Center the "of" between the comedy & magic
• Use a different TypeStyle for the Phone and Web address Rule of thumb is San Serif since your using a stylized Serif font. Arial bold or black or optima bold or black
• ChristopherLyle.COM reads better no spaces.
• Your losing the hat in the shadows. lighten background around the hat.
• The face should be split on the half, currently it widens your face and changes your ethnicity to asian. However most card companies will charge you more fora specific cut. Yu might try eclipsing your face so the remained goes to black... dunno if it will work till I see it.

Nice job matchin blues and yellows to the photo.
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
As seen on the TODAY SHOW
www.balloonguy.net
Creator of Bad to the Balloon DVD series
Go to my store: http://tinyurl.com/Bad2theBalloon
tboehnlein
View Profile
Inner circle
ohio
1787 Posts

Profile of tboehnlein
If you are advertising your twisting abilities, wouldn't you want to be holding an exceptional twisted design?
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
[quote]On 2012-02-13 09:09, Bad to the Balloon wrote:
Quote:

My two cents...

• Center the "of" between the comedy & magic
• Use a different TypeStyle for the Phone and Web address Rule of thumb is San Serif since your using a stylized Serif font. Arial bold or black or optima bold or black
• ChristopherLyle.COM reads better no spaces.
• Your losing the hat in the shadows. lighten background around the hat.
• The face should be split on the half, currently it widens your face and changes your ethnicity to asian. However most card companies will charge you more fora specific cut. Yu might try eclipsing your face so the remained goes to black... dunno if it will work till I see it.

Nice job matchin blues and yellows to the photo.

Thanks Mark...I'll make the changes and see how that looks!
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-02-13 09:34, tboehnlein wrote:
If you are advertising your twisting abilities, wouldn't you want to be holding an exceptional twisted design?

I thought about that...but I figured that if they want to see my work, then they can go to my website (balloon website to launch hopefully very soon). Will have lot's of cool shots on my website...an example:

In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-02-13 02:29, pepka wrote:
Although I'm currently working in the field, I do have a background in graphic communication. I LOVE it. The one thing that I noticed is your pic is showing slightly more than half of your face. Is there a reason? I like it either way.

I wanted the card to have a kind of "mischievousness" feel to it. Like I was peaking around the corner. "To see the other side of Christopher, book him!" That kind of thing...ya know. I may play around with resetting my image so I'm exactly 1/2 and 1/2.
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
mike storz
View Profile
Inner circle
Orange, CT
1353 Posts

Profile of mike storz
I love it! Well done! Smile
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
I like your business card just the way you posted originally. As a former professional printer, I'll tell you why. The best thing your printer did for you is keep the same typeface on the entire card! Different point sizes, and different colors, but the same typeface. Very smart guy. Most folks don't have a clue about typography, but to a printer, it's an art. Too many folks mix different typefaces on their cards and it looks terrible to someone tryig to read it. The other thing he did was to put lighter colored types on a darker background (in technical terms, that's old fashioned for "surprint.") Many folks make the mistake of putting light colored types on light backgrounds, or tiny light typefaces on dark backgrounds which can be virtually unreadable (technically called "dropouts"). Most lay folks and modern digital printers don't pay any attention to the improper use of surprints and dropouts. And most of them have never taken a course in typography.

I also like the mystery of the half face and body. Makes me want to see your whole self.

My opinion: leave it alone!
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Phil Blackmore
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of Phil Blackmore
You should definitely have the photos of the balloons on the balloon modeller business card. It's your first chance to sell yourself and they look great!
The image of you with the amazing balloons will get people excited and get their attention!
renricker7
View Profile
Regular user
Halle, Germany
150 Posts

Profile of renricker7
The ballon twisting side looks good in my eyes!

the magic part as well, I like the font and the colours, but the picture is not good at all! it looks like shot somewhere, not like a professional one.

also the shadows and the lighting doesn´t match the surroundings - it looks like cut out, put in and this is just what happend - this could be made way better.

it is also most of the time much better to just shoot the picture where you want it and as you want it and to use it that way. then you don´t have this mismatches of colours and shadows.

hope this helps a bit
Chad Sanborn
View Profile
Inner circle
my fingers hurt from typing,
2205 Posts

Profile of Chad Sanborn
Well here is what jumps out at me. First the balloon side is awesome! I actually like the first picture better with the untwisted balloons. The magic side is good, but has no hint of magic in it. No prop, card, wand...nothing. It needs...something. Possibly leave an outline of yourself with a puff of smoke inside it. Ala you just vanished. Don't get me wrong, its good as is. But something is missing that could make it as great as the balloon side.
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
I like the image it projects; such a (positive) change from the "badass jarhead marine" image that you used to use for your avatar (that one scared me!) It's colorful and fun and depicts a well-defined character.

I am not sure that I agree that elaborate balloon designs are necessary. Unless you actually make those at most of your venues, you could be building unreasonable expectations (just a consideration.)

I also am not of the mindset that you have to show something that represents magic. I think you are FAR better off to show a strong character than magic. From what I see, I perceive you to be a "variety performer." I think that is better positioning than locking yourself into one discipline.
Magic Patrick
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1591 Posts

Profile of Magic Patrick
Ask Joel Bauer. LOL! Christopher, it is a great looking card.

Patrick
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » New Biz Card (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL