The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » So Happy together... » » Paul Gordon Lecture (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mikesmithmagic
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of mikesmithmagic
Paul Gordon came to lecture at the Newcastle Castle Magic Circle Monday 16th January and what a great night it was. The lecture focused 100% on card magic but, mixed with some comedy and a mixture of strange and amusing stories from Paul’s performing history the 2 hours plus, flew over.

Paul spent a majority of the night performing effects that he has devised himself utilising a mixture techniques from his own repertoire and existing well known techniques. There was nothing in the way of complicated sleight of hand but that in turn did not detract from the power of each effect. Paul keeps his routines simple and very strong to allowing the performer a free reign to interact with the spectators. A prime example of this as well as one of the highlights of the evening is Paul’s Head to Head Poker routine. By far the simplest head to head poker routine I’ve come across in 30 years of being a student of the art. In brief, you deal 20 cards to the table and offer the spectator choices of which card they want and what you the performer should have. End result being a genuinely random poker hand for the spectator and a royal flush in spades but not in running order. It looks fair because it is.

During the performance and explanation of each effect, Paul gave his reasoning for the moves, patter and overall motivation for the effect. Each effect starts simplistic and draws the spectator in by reaming so simple. Routing Paul’s effect is also very easy as that’s how he performs the lecture. The required cards for the next effect being set up during the performance of the previous effect.

The lecture was divided into 2 sessions and during the 2 sessions Paul demonstrated 3 or 4 of his large range of packets tricks to allow the audience to see how they played out and the simplicity of the reset, which is generally done by putting the cards away, that easily reset. There was no drawn out explanation for the packet effects just a simple demo as they were available to purchase. With regards to purchases, Paul didn’t do any of the hard sell techniques, constantly reminding the audience of what they could purchase which is always a relief. The items Paul had brought along were offered at average price per item but also great multi purchase deals.

Overall, an educating, informative, humorous and entertaining lecture.

Mick
"I seriously love the disarming flexibility of Mick Wilson's SDP...one of those rare card-handling procedures that exemplifies the concept of 'why run when no one is chasing you'. SDP is an open-handed utility tool that conjurers will use to great advantage when creating new effects in the years to come."

Mick Ayres, South Carolina, 2016
mikesmithmagic
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of mikesmithmagic
Apologies for the many typos.
"I seriously love the disarming flexibility of Mick Wilson's SDP...one of those rare card-handling procedures that exemplifies the concept of 'why run when no one is chasing you'. SDP is an open-handed utility tool that conjurers will use to great advantage when creating new effects in the years to come."

Mick Ayres, South Carolina, 2016
WesleyBryan
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of WesleyBryan
Paul Gordon renewed my enthusiasm in card magic and I ran into his material just about when I was considering dropping magic altogether. I was getting frustrated at all of the impratical and ineffective material I was exposed to. I kept searching for card magic that was practical and impromptu. After playing with google, I was led to his website and I have bought every book he has put out. His books also led to seek out Harry Lorayne's material which is awesome also.
Darius666
View Profile
Veteran user
London
368 Posts

Profile of Darius666
How many Bannon tricks did he teach?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » So Happy together... » » Paul Gordon Lecture (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL