The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tenyo of Japan » » Tenyo Floating Card: absolute biggest dumb a*s routine? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

cyberdave03
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of cyberdave03
Someone from the "inner circle" just sold this in the 'tricks for sale' section for a song, with the following comments:

"Worst piece of angle-sensitive dumbly constructed cr*p I've ever purchased. Just the absolute biggest dumb a*s routine I've ever bought."

Agree or disagree?
Killertweety
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium (-Europe)
1457 Posts

Profile of Killertweety
Angle sensitive? He probably did a walk around routine in The Shire for Hobbits or for Dwarves in Moria (guess what movie I rewatched yesterday Smile ).
The angles have been discussed a lot, if someone tries to peek under it lower the card ... . Also wairing a, was it white (?), shirt helps.

Not my favourite Tenyo but is is far from being cr*p! Why not use the deck/gimmick for an 'ordinary' card trick (with carefull handling of course) and then use it as a floating divice? With some practice good routines are possible imho.
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
I saw Angelo Carbone do this and it was quite interesting the way he gave me the impression that I could see beneath the floating card. I actually did bend over and peek under it--that's the first reaction most people have. Because the gimmick is essentially clear, and because Angelo was careful with the lighting in his performing area, I felt I had looked under the floating card and seen nothing. The effect can be made to look astounding.
Angelo Carbone
View Profile
V.I.P.
1480 Posts

Profile of Angelo Carbone
Yes crap is a bit harsh ;-). I think I came up with a good solution to the floating card plot where you can control the speed and height of the ascent, the ability to look under it in certain occasions, the ability to remove a card under the floating card and the ability to have the deck examined once the gimmicked cards are removed. Compared to some other versions out there, with those you cannot look under or remove a card as the convincer.

Next time I will try to come with a method that uses REAL magic that will hopefully please the 'inner circle' magician. :-P

Would love to know who it was. Smile
The Gift: Trick of the Year 2017
My YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/themagicinventor
Angelo Carbone
View Profile
V.I.P.
1480 Posts

FYI here is a video of me performing it with no video effects or painting out the gimmick and yet the gimmick cant be seen. Shadow, lighting and colour of shirt helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aVE_LEsxJI
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On 2012-02-20 20:07, Angelo M Carbone wrote:
Yes crap is a bit harsh ;-). I think I came up with a good solution to the floating card plot where you can control the speed and height of the ascent, the ability to look under it in certain occasions, the ability to remove a card under the floating card and the ability to have the deck examined once the gimmicked cards are removed. Compared to some other versions out there, with those you cannot look under or remove a card as the convincer.

Next time I will try to come with a method that uses REAL magic that will hopefully please the 'inner circle' magician. :-P

Would love to know who it was. Smile

I wouldn't take it personally Angelo as the magician who posted it was also poking some fun with it in selling it... basically an item that didn't work for his style and relegated to his drawer. The way it was presented was in fun and not to be taken too seriously.

The guy who posted is one of the nicest on the Café.

As you know, when you create something some will love it and some may not. Just like movie and restaurant critics.

I bought this one and honestly of your effects I own... it is the only one I don't use.

I use OOO and prison box all the time though Smile Amazing stuff.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3058 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
I agree with saysold in that the orginal post was a little tongue in cheek. I think he may have gone a little over the top. I collect Tenyo primarily because of clever methods and thinking. The floating card was a nice example of both.

John
cyberdave03
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of cyberdave03
"Tongue in cheek"? No, I don't think so, as you can see from his and other's comments:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=76
Houdini103126
View Profile
Elite user
407 Posts

Profile of Houdini103126
It amazes me how people can critique effects so harshly. Floating Card is an excellent trick. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, it's just that some of them aren't founded in logic.
Angelo Carbone
View Profile
V.I.P.
1480 Posts

Just read the thread. Wow indeed. Like I said, next time I will use real magic as the solution to achieve the same look of the effect :-P
Houdini103126
View Profile
Elite user
407 Posts

Profile of Houdini103126
Quote:
On 2012-02-24 21:04, Angelo M Carbone wrote:
Just read the thread. Wow indeed. Like I said, next time I will use real magic as the solution to achieve the same look of the effect :-P

What kills me is that if the trick is so bad, why doesn't he invent something better instead of just talk about how bad it is? It's because people are all talk. Granted, I feel there are some bad Tenyo tricks, but I still have enough respect for the creator to know it's far easier said than done or each creator would invent hundreds of tricks per year. Further, probably some of their best tricks never go to market. Everyone is a critic, I say, unless you can do better, keep your mouth shut. I was always taught that growing up.

For what it's worth Angelo, you're obviously a creative genius so you might as well consider the source.

Best,

Tom
ThatsCool
View Profile
Elite user
424 Posts

Profile of ThatsCool
Quote:
On 2012-02-20 20:06, Angelo M Carbone wrote:
FYI here is a video of me performing it with no video effects or painting out the gimmick and yet the gimmick cant be seen. Shadow, lighting and colour of shirt helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aVE_LEsxJI

That was excellent Angelo. I really enjoyed it.

By the way, check out my post in the same thread referenced above Smile.
Angelo Carbone
View Profile
V.I.P.
1480 Posts

Thanks guys!

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, granted, but boy does he hate it. His choice of words and anger for the product amazes me! I have not felt like he has for any product. Maybe I am too reserved Smile I know it is my trick but I am very proud of the method. I love Enlightement but wanted to create a method where you could potentially look under. So that was what I came up with. I have performed this countless times with no issues. Sorry if it seems I am rushing to defend it but I think it is a great method. Regular deck, control of speed and height of levitation, up and down vertical lift, can remove a card under it, can look under it (depending on lighting). Tenyo obviously thought it was good enough to accept it. Rant over Smile
John Mazza
View Profile
Special user
664 Posts

Profile of John Mazza
Does anybody know if the complainer has invented any tricks himself?
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2893 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
He has created some routines and released a book about pendulums.
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
edshern
View Profile
Special user
957 Posts

Profile of edshern
This is exactly the type of comment that NONE should respond to.
While he is entitled to his opinion, and in fact this is the right place to air an opinion, being vitriolic (harsh or corrosive in tone. Definition posted since I had to look it up anyway) Smile is unnecessary. He intended to be inflammatory and get a rise out of you and he succeeded. Most often these comments are made by 12 year olds who have low self esteem.
So, these comments are best left unanswered and left to drift off to the end of the cue by themselves.
Angelo, not much out there stronger than parenthood and authorship, so I understand the draw to respond, but like they say, never argue with a pig. You both get dirty but he likes it.
Just my 2 cents.
ThatsCool
View Profile
Elite user
424 Posts

Profile of ThatsCool
Interesting.

After I made my observation about the issue there the thread was deleted as maybe it should have been.

My comment was,( I am remembering it as best I can, since the thread is now deleted).

"I would really love to see the illusions that some of the posters here have created that were accepted and sold by a major magic company. Heck, by any company Smile".

Maybe those that went a bit overboard in their comments realized it and asked to have the thread removed?
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2893 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
David himself had the thread removed.
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
ThatsCool
View Profile
Elite user
424 Posts

Profile of ThatsCool
Quote:
On 2012-02-25 15:51, That'sCool wrote:

Maybe those that went a bit overboard in their comments realized it and asked to have the thread removed?

Quote:
On 2012-02-25 18:14, Nicolino wrote:
David himself had the thread removed.

Great.

So the person that started the thread & went a bit overboard in his comments asked for the thread to be removed.

Kudos to him for realizing it Smile.
Mr.P
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of Mr.P
If people would only ink of the time effort and imagination involved in creating new effect maybe they would think before they open their gob
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tenyo of Japan » » Tenyo Floating Card: absolute biggest dumb a*s routine? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL