The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Quantum Bender by John T. Sheets (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6247 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
I saw the thing and it works perfectly and in the heat of battle. Yes, you could just as easily switch a coin or do the Xpert routine, but this allows you to have them sign or mark any coin and in a simple action the coin is bent. I'm actually glad that he said he would only make a few of them because it's that good.
Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
omnibozo
View Profile
Regular user
Boulder, CO
150 Posts

Profile of omnibozo
I agree with the writer who points out that the most important aspect of any effect is the impact on the audience... and the impact of borrowing a coin, having it marked, hold it at the fingertips for a few moments and making it apparently bend AS they watch... when it drops into their hand... clear the decks and put your fingers in your ears if you don't want to hear people use four letter words! They are THAT shocked!
The overall effect is similar to that of Osterlind... but, I only saw him bend pennies... and with a fair amount of hemming and hawing... for effect, of course, but still, no where near as straight forward as the QB. John T. Sheets showed the QB routine to Osterlind, and Richard was definitely impressed by the directness.
Good observation about the pliers... John and I have been down that route too... and done it thousands of times with a switching method... which also got raves of astonishment... but nothing compared to the QB. John even worked out a signed coin method for the old style... not as good as this! Saturday night worked a show and gave away eighty, 80, quarters during the party... all signed and bent, of course... He did QB 80 times that night... and had folks looking for more quarters so he could continue! Try that with a switching method! Nevermind... many people might think that giving away 80 quarters in an evening would be a bad business practice! Well, whatever!
Finally about the weight... This fits right in your pocket... in fact, you probably have something in your pocket that looks a LOT like this already! I'll even bet you use it in your act already. Not totally impromptu as you must carry the device withyou... but you'll love it so much, and it looks so innocuous that will be no problem!
Bob LaRue
Omnibozo
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2214 Posts

Profile of Richard Osterlind
Excuse me! Not as straight forward as the QB!???
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2894 Posts

Profile of dpe666
Quote:
On 2003-10-01 00:36, osterlind wrote:
Excuse me! Not as straight forward as the QB!???

I agree. QB is about as straight forward as you can get. Also: "He was only bending pennies!" What? I did not realize that bending pennies was such a simple task. Smile
Greg Rostami
View Profile
V.I.P.
Skynet will become self-aware in
2697 Posts

Profile of Greg Rostami
Does it use a motor, or any batteries?

How long does it take for the quarter to actually bend?

Could you use it to bend keys? Maybe NOT lenght wise?

thank you,
Greg
marky707
View Profile
Regular user
138 Posts

Profile of marky707
I got it I think it is wonderfull. at first I thought oh my god I can't believe I paid this much for it, but once I started using it I thought it was great. although I wouldn't do it twice to the same person because the bend is quit bold when you do the move. it is done right in front of the person. anyone out ther that has it... maybe can give me some advice on how to present it so I can do it more than once without them figuring out the gimmick.
eric6
View Profile
Regular user
177 Posts

Profile of eric6
Hi Bob,

Even if the gimmick look like something common your reply about the weight is not very concret. How much is the gimmick weight ? How does it apply to euro currency with certitude ?

Eric
only4card
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of only4card
I have bought the Yuval Kerren's bending coin gimmick,very disappointed just useless. I hope this one not the same. I don't think it can use again and again in the same party.

I hope some one can post more details on it before I place my order.
Steve Dela
View Profile
Special user
U.K. London
961 Posts

Profile of Steve Dela
Hi all, is it like the Yuval Kerren's bending coin... does it rely on holding somethings else at the same time?
thanks alot
Steve Dela
http://stevedela.com
Associate Member of the Inner Magic Circle
FFFF
Mark Strivings
View Profile
V.I.P.
285 Posts

Profile of Mark Strivings
Hi guys,

When John first showed me the prototype of the QB I immediately asked if it was going to be available. I ordered on the spot. When I finally saw the final product I was thrilled. This is real world work. The weight of the gimmick has no bearing on anything. This works with coins up to the size and thickness of an American quarter (check your Euros). The spectator can mark their coin in any way they wish, before they ever relinquish control of it (and yes, you do have to touch the coin, if you're now disappointed get real...). Believe me, my friends, this is a miracle. I'm very glad this is available. I'm also very glad that there are very few of them available.

You can use this all night long and not have to carry a pocket full of bent quarters (which I have done). There are no switches of any kind. It is THEIR quarter that gets bent and is returned to them. This is a definite worker.

Enough said.

Oh and by the way, to the esteemed Mr. Osterlind (hi Richard!), you DON'T 'just bend pennies'. I have seen a genuine (and EXTREMELY straight forward) miracle and it was done with a penny, by YOU! Drop me a note sometime and let's chat.

Mark Strivings
Mark Strivings is the owner of the largest all-mentalism mail order supply business in the world, "Mental Connections", carrying materials not available anywhere else. For complete info, drop Mark a line at MarkyApril@aol.com
D J Hawkins
View Profile
Veteran user
Reading, UK
321 Posts

Profile of D J Hawkins
Would be interested to know if any UK magicians buy this - does it work with British coins. I have the special coin bending pliers, and to bend any of the UK silver coins takes a LOT of effort. I can't imagine any way of doing this secretly without giving a clue that "something" is happening.
David Hawkins

djhawkins2014@gmail.com
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5262 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
I must be missing something.

Is this particular version just something that magicians like because the method is so clever, or is it something that in some way is stronger than other versions for laymen?

Specifically, I'm wondering why it's better for laymen than simply borrowing a quarter, marking it, for example with an X, switching that quarter for a bent quarter that has an X on it, placing the bent quarter in a spectator's hand, asking the spectator to close his or her hand, and then making it appear that you bend the coin while it's in the spectator's closed hand. Yes, I know that "theoretically" having the spectator examine his or her coin closely, looking at the date on the coin, and marking it with a mark of his or her choice removes the suspicion of a switch. But guess what, I've done it with a simple switch and because of the particular routine I use nobody has ever mentioned that they thought I switched coins and my hands are clean by the time the spectator opens his or her hand. Yes, you could argue that some people might have thought I switched coins and simply not stated that out loud, but you could say that about any effect/method.

If with this effect, the marked coin is clearly straight and then clearly VISIBLY bends, that would be a different story, but if that's not the case, and I assume it's not, is this effect a solution in search of a problem?

I'm not slamming this particular effect as I've never even seen it. But I've performed various bent coin routines professionally and I think these are valid questions.

By the way, my questions are in no way motivated by a desire to save money just for the sake of saving money. I'm willing to spend a lot for a significant improvement, and in fact spent close to $6000 to develop a method for performing an effect that many magicians perform for a total investment of about $1. In that case, the investment was worth it to me because it changed the effect in laymens' eyes from something that while possible, couldn't be explained, to something that was absolutely impossible. That's what I'd be looking for to invest $500 in a bending coin effect.

Regards, Larry D.
omnibozo
View Profile
Regular user
Boulder, CO
150 Posts

Profile of omnibozo
These forums are always so interesting... Let's start with Richard Osterlind... In NO way do I want to demean your incredible coin bending routine... I was sitting right next to you the first time I saw it done... and my immediate thought was, "Man, Sheets' method is in trouble now!" After seeing it several more times, and still having no concrete idea on the method, I still think it is incredibly strong. QB, as John does it, shifts the emphasis of the effect a little. Without going into details on this forum, it is hard to exactly state how it differs. A key difference is that the QB is actually available for purchase. There are plenty of great reasons NOT to make your version available (but if it does become available, I will be at he head of the line... maybe right behind Mark Strivings!)... one can never have too many methods to choose from!
For Larry... the effect has been described many times here and in the Hocus Pocus ads... so I'm not sure where your confusion lies. A spec is asked to take out a handful of their change and select one coin. They are handed a pen with which to mark the coin. Coin and pen are taken by the performer. Performer talks for a moment, with the coin never totally leaving view. Coin is then held at the fingertips while magician makes a twisting or melting motion...or merely makes a face showing great concentration... and the coin begins to bend forward around the finger... finally dropping into the spec's cupped hands. What's missing from this description?... just a couple of necessary moves... but, as posted by others... this is a pretty straightforward description.
Has anyone done this with euros yet? I see no major problems, but still don't want to bend the few I have!
Bob LaRue
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5262 Posts

Quote:
On 2003-10-05 15:32, omnibozo wrote:
For Larry... the effect has been described many times here and in the Hocus Pocus ads... so I'm not sure where your confusion lies. A spec is asked to take out a handful of their change and select one coin. They are handed a pen with which to mark the coin. Coin and pen are taken by the performer. Performer talks for a moment, with the coin never totally leaving view. Coin is then held at the fingertips while magician makes a twisting or melting motion...or merely makes a face showing great concentration... and the coin begins to bend forward around the finger... finally dropping into the spec's cupped hands. What's missing from this description?... just a couple of necessary moves... but, as posted by others... this is a pretty straightforward description.

Read my posting again. I didn't say I was confused, I said I didn't understand why this is stronger for laymen than simply using a switch.

Why specifically do you believe this is better than switching and simply pushing the bent coin over your fingers and making it appear that it's bending, or even better, IN MY OPINION, placing the bent coin in a spectator's hand (the spectator thinks it's still his or her borrowed quarter) and then making the spectator think that you're making the coin bend in HIS OR HER hand?

This isn't a question simply about the $500 marketed effect, it's a question about that effect COMPARED to a switch method. Why in your opinion is this better FOR LAYMEN? If it's only better for magicians because it uses a new method, it's not something that would interest me.

Larry Davidson
bekralik
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1084 Posts

Profile of bekralik
I can only suggest that perhaps the fact that you can do all of the above effects (such as putting the coin in the spectator's hands and have it 'bend' there) with the QB gives you more flexilibity.

To quote from Larry's example of a coin routine that he invested a lot of money for, I can only suggest that perhaps QB also changes the effect from something that's possible, and potentially explainable (some spectators minds will lead them to a switch, which only gives the magician credit for good sleight-of-hand) to something that's impossible. Not having to rely on a generic 'X' mark, but allowing a spectator free choice to put what he or she wants on it can only add more credibility to impossibility. It depends on the audience and the routine, I guess.

Brian
HuronLow
View Profile
Special user
689 Posts

Profile of HuronLow
Would you really go that far for a coin bend? Spoon bending is definitely more visual. I'm interested in this. But yes, I definitely do not understand why it is that different in a layman's eyes. As long as they see it bend, that's all that matters! If it's in their hands, even better! It doesn't have to be the same coin. This sounds really cool. But is it worth the large sum of $500?
The T&R Project.
A revolutionary take on the Torn & Restored card.

Available now at www.HuronLow.com
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5262 Posts

Worth is subjective, but it doesn't appear worth it for me. I'd love to see someone perform this version, and am sure I eventually will. Who knows, when I see it, I might change my opinion.
hkmagician
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of hkmagician
Larry,
you may be disappointed,I don't think it will go smooth. I own a Yuval Kerren's bending coin pen, it can only bend US dime or small copper coins. It is hard to bend even a US quarter!( I mean infront of spectators,it need bigger hand movement to bend a bigger,thicker or mixed metal coins.I cannot not use it to bend my local coins,so it is useless for me)

I hope this Quantum bender pen will have improved.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6247 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
I've seen it bend quarters... all I can tell you is the amount of movement looks the same as when you have a bit of a struggle to take the cap off a marker. I've seen the other bending coin gimmick from Yuval and this one is far, far better.
Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
omnibozo
View Profile
Regular user
Boulder, CO
150 Posts

Profile of omnibozo
The discussion about the nature of the effect and the impact on the audience continues to be of central imporance to critical magicians. As mentioned, John and I have done the switch methods thousands of times... to great acclaim. The effect on the audience is powerful. The QB moves the bar up a little by letting them sign the coin... and it never totally leaves their sight. Is that worth the extra cost? That is a personal call. For me, it is definitely worth it. That difference is exactly why use a Side Steal or one of Jerry Andrus's methods for moving the single selected card to the top of the deck rather than doing a Pass to move 26 cards! This is exactly why Marlo worked out multiple methods for everything... and HIS preferred method isn't always the method that works best for others. Little touches make a big difference for some people. You might consider almost anything by Kenton Knepper. Anyone purchasing his material without having significant performing experience runs a high risk of being disappointed... much of his stuff centers on the fine points of performance that shift the effect into another dimension of reality. QB addresses some of those fine points. John worked out this method precisely because the effect was so strong for lay folks. He invested inthe Yuval method... and improved many features that have been alluded to in this forum.
Keys... haven't tried them because it is hard to borrow a key and return it all deformed... and borrowing the coin is a major point. John works a lot of parties with mulimillionaires... and they NEVER have a quarter! We're not sure if they have ever seen actual money! So he carries LOTS of coins with him.
Bob LaRue
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Quantum Bender by John T. Sheets (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL