The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Quantum Bender by John T. Sheets (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5262 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Bob,

A magician who isn't critical isn't a good magician in my view.

I agree that little touches can (but don't necessarily) make a difference. The real question in my mind is whether there's a discernable difference in the way laymen react when you perform this method professionally versus the way laymen react when you perform a switch method professionally (not that there's only one switch method). What has your experience been? I'm also wondering if you've tried the Xpert method and what kind of reactions that has garnered you compared to these two methods.

I use two methods I created, both of which use borrowed quarters, and both of which get very strong reactions. If I could get a discernably stronger reaction with this product, I'd purchase it.

Regards, Larry D.
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4854 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
I use Jay Sankey's Television Bend with a silver dollar and it astonishes audiences. I like the fact the coin bending is actually seen by the audience and that the coin is large enough to be seen doing standup for a small audience as opposed to closeup or one on one magic. No switch is suspected because the coin that you hold in your hand is the one that appears to bend and it never leaves their sight as far as they perceive. The strength of the QB is you work with the spectator's coin and it can be marked or initialed. The weaknesses are the coins are smaller in size and the effect diminished in scale, and you need to carry a gadget with you. I agree with Larry that the price is not an issue if the effect from the audience's perspective (an not the magician's) is more impossible than other methods.
2002 coinguy
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of 2002 coinguy
For layman sign a coin or not is not a matter. since they signed the coin they will always kept their eyes on it. It is not easy to bend it with the device.
I've met Yuval Keren at a convention I saw him bending a coin with his gimmick,very un-natural handling because too many spectators around him.
I think using a bending coin gimmick only good for one to one magic or just a few people at a table or bar.
I will kept on bending coins with my own method,already 12 years .No gimmick device needed,get strong reaction from my spectators. Cheers
guccimagic
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of guccimagic
I have done the switch method for the coin bend and it got great reactions, but the problem with the switch method is after the show is over and the spectator has time to think about the trick, which every spectator will no matter how good your performance. They will rationalize that you did a switch and they will be right. I like the idea of removing this option from them and thus making the trick that much more impossible for them to recreate and cause them to have many sleepless nights trying to come to a logical answer....it must be real magic. I ordered mine and should have it soon I will leave a review.
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5262 Posts

Quote:
On 2003-10-09 23:52, guccimagic wrote:
I have done the switch method for the coin bend and it got great reactions, but the problem with the switch method is after the show is over and the spectator has time to think about the trick, which every spectator will no matter how good your performance. They will rationalize that you did a switch and they will be right.

Just wondering how you know that spectators reached that conclusion. Do you perform this professionally and then ask them after the show if they know how the effect worked?

Regardless, there's more than one switch method and there are ways of overcoming the problem of spectators later reaching the conclusion that you switched (yes, I've asked).

For example, in one of the two switch methods I use, I mark the coin, I ACTUALLY place the straight quarter in the spectator's hand, the spectator closes his hand into a fist, and there's nothing extra in my hands afterwards so I'm completely clean. It's based VERY loosely on the Xpert method but overcomes one of the weaknesses of that method in my view. It's not perfect, but there's no such thing as a pefect trick because every method for performing any trick has a weakness(es).

Guccimagic, I'd love to read your review of the effect after you receive it and have performed it.

Regards, Larry D.

Just wanted to clarify my above posting by explaining that I think Xpert is very strong, and clever.

What I stated was a characteristic of the Xpert bending effect that I believe I improved, others might legitimately see as a strong characteristic that could only be weakened by attempts at improvement. I've discussed the details with Neil, and he has a very legitimate reason for performing the effect exactly as is. There's no right or wrong, just different viewpoints. At the bottom line, Xpert has my strongest recommendation.

Re. Quantum Bender, the jury's still out. I wish someone would buy it, perform it professionally along with other methods, and post a COMPARATIVE review!

Larry D.
bekralik
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1084 Posts

Profile of bekralik
I've received it. My first thoughts are that I wish they had illustration in the instruction booklet because the directions are bit obscure when it comes to orientation. I'll eventually figure out the best way for me so I'm not so concerned about that. It's well made. However, my first attempt was DIFFICULT. Being able to do it nonchalantly and naturally will be a bit of a challenge.

Brian
HuronLow
View Profile
Special user
689 Posts

Profile of HuronLow
$500 for a non-illustrated book? Okay... Anyway, do you think it's worth the price?
The T&R Project.
A revolutionary take on the Torn & Restored card.

Available now at www.HuronLow.com
magicforu
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of magicforu
As a magician for over 25 years, I've seen lots of bending device. None of them can bend a coin nonchalantly and naturally in front of audiences. May be better if you bend a dime but that is not our target. A show of 50 audiences I think you must use a half dollar size coin for visual effect but untill now I havn't seen any gimmick can bend a dollar size coin infront of the audiences. So I kept using my own method "switching" it is more natural and more visual. Mark a coin or not have no difference for layman.

Years ago I met a Hong Kong Magician he use a bending device that floored me! He use a electronic remote control pneumatic holdout on his right hand to deliver out the gimmick part A , his gimmick part B is build in his ring on his left hand. After he bended the coin the right hand's gimmick immediate react back into his right arm. Beautiful and natural actions. With this clever gimmick he can bend a Hong Kong 50 cents coin in a second very naturally and cheated me. But I asked him whether he can bend a half dollar.The answer is NO. About the price,I havn't asked him, I think only Copperfield will buy !!
omnibozo
View Profile
Regular user
Boulder, CO
150 Posts

Profile of omnibozo
I hope that more of the purchasers of QB will be posting here...not much more I can say here. Larry's completely legitimate concerns can't really be addressed by anyone except himself... "worth" remains in the eye of the beholder (or doer). Switch methods do indeed change the nature of the "heat" on the effect. I do not agree that spectators do not care about the signature aspect. Certainly if one is satisfied with their current methods, changing methods, especially at this price, might not be the best choice. Without doubt, the QB takes practice. Sorry to hear that the directions were not clear enough... email me or John if you need help.
Bob LaRue
Madmonk
View Profile
Regular user
104 Posts

Profile of Madmonk
I received my Quantum Bender about a week ago, and must say I am very impressed. First off I felt that the directions are very clear, and it seems to me that there is no real need for pictures. I am also very happy with the quality. This thing will last forever. I have never seen a device that makes it this easy to bend a coin, not to mention right before the spectators eyes. I have done this for people and they where amazed, but the amazement reached a feverish pitch when they saw their initials on the coin. Having it initialed is the only way to expel in their mind the thought of a switch. I really love this device, and think its worth the money. Highly Recommended Smile
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5262 Posts

Thanks for the review Madmonk.

I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but if you don't mind, could you post a COMPARATIVE review? Since you stated that "...Having it initialed is the only way to expel in their mind the thought of a switch..." I assume you've used many different methods and found that your audiences perceived a switch with those other methods. Could you post some details on the different methods you've used (just general descriptions since you can't reveal secrets in a public thread) and the reactions you've received?

Larry D.
bekralik
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1084 Posts

Profile of bekralik
I don't think illustration are "needed", however they talk about the "left side of (this)" and the "right side of (that)" after "turning it horizontal" ... it can certainly get confusing when there are many ways to turn an object horizontally in your hands. Your orientation afterwards may not be correct. And when they're talking about sides of an object that really has no "side", you need to be ultra-clear. Moreso because it's an expensive gimmick.

Hasn't anybody found it difficult to work on larger coins? Or do these muscles build after working out with this object for awhile? My review is still positive overall, but nothing's perfect.

Brian
coinlover
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of coinlover
Brian,

Thank you for review. As a coin worker I've looking for a coin bending gimmick for years. on your post I learn that you have difficult to work on larger coins.

Please let me know what are those larger coins ?

Have you try it on Euro coins, such as 2 Euro ?

Do you think you can bend a US quarter in front of audiences naturally ?

Since I'm not a strong guy, I hope you can give me some advice.

Thanks in advance
bekralik
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1084 Posts

Profile of bekralik
I'm referring to Canadian quarters, therefore no Euros. I think to do it naturally just requires a knack and more practice. I had posted my first thoughts upon receiving it and playing around with it.

Brian
techneeqs
View Profile
Regular user
Ontario, Canada
105 Posts

Profile of techneeqs
Is there any demos of this anywhere? Or a URL that I can check the product out.
eric6
View Profile
Regular user
177 Posts

Profile of eric6
Just receive it. For euro user, it will only bend 1,2,5 and 10cts coins.
Eric
D J Hawkins
View Profile
Veteran user
Reading, UK
321 Posts

Profile of D J Hawkins
Seeing the full page ad in Genii has got me thinking about purchasing this. I'd be interested in any comments from anyone that has been using this in real world conditions. Also is anyone bending UK coins (10p or 2p ?) Thanks.
David Hawkins

djhawkins2014@gmail.com
JackDaniel
View Profile
Veteran user
nevada
376 Posts

Profile of JackDaniel
What!!!? 500$ for a prop that just bends some coins?
You're joking right?
Visit the magic of Vegas and your life will change forever..
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6724 Posts

Profile of Dougini
No Jack,

It's not just a "prop", it's an innocent-looking device disguised as something you and I probably carry every day. I've seen it, can't afford it, but I CAN tell you, if you do a paid show, and you include this in your act, you WILL make your money back...it, IMO, is a reputation-maker...

That said, just "bending coins" is not the issue. PERFORMING for an audience IS...a good performer can escalate this into MIRACLE-class...a mediocre performer (me, for example), after some serious practice can show this, and STILL cause serious jaw-drops...

$500 is a LOT of money. Probably more than I'll ever spend, but...remember, this is not something you're going to find at "Schloymee's Magic and Joke Shop". Neither will you find Sean B's Ultimate Dancing Hanks, or Porper's Cups & Balls (wanna talk about some bucks!)...

Professionals don't worry so much about price, as EFFECTIVENESS and EXCLUSIVITY...ya don't want every David Blaine wannabe parading QB around...do we?

Along with Larry, I'd like to see a real comparative review...but let's go to the Banquet Room, we can talk more freely there...anyone?

Cheers!

Doug
JackDaniel
View Profile
Veteran user
nevada
376 Posts

Profile of JackDaniel
Thanks Doug,
I am not a professional magician, and l think majority of the people here are not eighter, so l guess we have one thing in common, 500$ for a coinbender is like spending 1000$ on a shirt just to be sure no one else has that same shirt.
Oh, well - if l become a professional and make alot of $$$ I guess the QB will be a thing to add to my collection - christ! my whole collection is'nt even worth 500$.....
Jack.
Visit the magic of Vegas and your life will change forever..
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Quantum Bender by John T. Sheets (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL