The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Emotional Intelligence - Luke Jermay (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
theamazingryan
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of theamazingryan
I'm sure this has been posted about before, but I couldn't find anything with search (maybe I'm using it wrong)

I have a number of grievances but I only want to voice one in particular. I think there's a natural mental disconnect that a volunteer is going to experience when you ask them to think about a deeply personal emotion and then hand them a deck of 7 preselected emotions and ask that they choose one. It's not organic, and it feels like the machinery of a trick. It's like saying "Think of someone in your life with whom you have an emotional connection named either Dave, Sarah, Bob or Sally."
Olympic Adam
View Profile
Inner circle
1258 Posts

Profile of Olympic Adam
Never had that problem, maybe come at it from a different angle?

I didn't even spot that when learning the effect, then performed it and it didn't come up. I did change it slightly to fit in with another effect so maybe I lost it there.

If you can get it right I think this is very strong, turned a few skeptics on my side with this
Protection for mind readers and mentalists: http://tricksofthemind.com
thecharlatan
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of thecharlatan
I too have performed it for skeptics and found it to be very convincing to them.

it doesn't take much original thinking to do away with the cards completely.
theamazingryan
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-02-19 09:23, thecharlatan wrote:
I too have performed it for skeptics and found it to be very convincing to them.

I feel like this routine depends so much on classic methods that if you lose the cards you can't even call it the same routine.
Boo de Hoop
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
101 Posts

Profile of Boo de Hoop
If you don't feel comfortable with the method, don’t do the trick. Sometimes a method is good for one performer, but not for another one. (I hope you understand what I mean. It’s hard to explain in English.)
Sorry for my English! My German is a little bit better ;-)
thecharlatan
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of thecharlatan
Quote:
On 2012-02-19 14:03, theamazingryan wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-02-19 09:23, thecharlatan wrote:

I feel like this routine depends so much on classic methods that if you lose the cards you can't even call it the same routine.

then call it something different! as long as it works...
theinternetguru
View Profile
Elite user
I hacked the Café but I still only have
426 Posts

Profile of theinternetguru
Quote:
On 2012-02-18 12:33, theamazingryan wrote:
I'm sure this has been posted about before, but I couldn't find anything with search (maybe I'm using it wrong)

I have a number of grievances but I only want to voice one in particular. I think there's a natural mental disconnect that a volunteer is going to experience when you ask them to think about a deeply personal emotion and then hand them a deck of 7 preselected emotions and ask that they choose one. It's not organic, and it feels like the machinery of a trick. It's like saying "Think of someone in your life with whom you have an emotional connection named either Dave, Sarah, Bob or Sally."
Not following you whatsoever on this. The cards are labeled with the 7 typical categories used in cold reading. They are intended to cover the gamut of human desires and concerns (successfully or not). Asking someone to pick a card which resonates with something currently on their minds is nothing like picking from a short list of names. Luke's routine succeeds and is powerful because it is, as others have noted, built on classic principles in mentalism. Not sure what your grievance is -- this DVD is a gem for someone starting out.
theamazingryan
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

I guess I just don't get it. I'm just starting out myself and I didn't take much away from it that I hadn't already read in corinda. That would be fine if there was something to learn from the performances but I found the performances to be pretty awful tbh and I'm surprised it gets as much praise here as it does. Personal preferences I suppose.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12310 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2012-02-20 23:46, theamazingryan wrote:
I guess I just don't get it. I'm just starting out myself and I didn't take much away from it that I hadn't already read in corinda. That would be fine if there was something to learn from the performances but I found the performances to be pretty awful tbh and I'm surprised it gets as much praise here as it does. Personal preferences I suppose.

Leave it alone for a while. Come back to it after more experience with mentalism and performing mentalism.
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
thecharlatan
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of thecharlatan
Quote:
On 2012-02-21 09:12, johncesta wrote:
Quote:

Leave it alone for a while. Come back to it after more experience with mentalism and performing mentalism.

well put. an effect that is only as good as the performers cold reading.
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3727 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
Quote:

Lukes performances on EI are great lessons in themselves. If you listen to the way he feeds back information, you can learn a lot from them. Take Johns advice and come back to it when you have more experience. Right now you don't know the subtleties to look for but that will come as you progress. It's the subtleties that elevate it from a trick to a real demonstration of mindreading Smile

best
Sean
TJ Halford
View Profile
Elite user
431 Posts

Profile of TJ Halford
I just got this routine myself back in Dec., and its been a couple of weeks since I have sat and watched it, so I could be mistaken, but I think the way you are describing is a little out of order. I believe instead of having them think of a memory and then limiting it by then selecting an emotion, I believe he has them select an emotion THEN think of ANY memory related to that emotion. small change but makes a world of difference logically
TJ Halford

"Imagine what is Possible"
Olympic Adam
View Profile
Inner circle
1258 Posts

Profile of Olympic Adam
TJ is correct from my memory

a lot of things are based on original ideas, this is good because it shows you in a more modern way than some of corinda how to actually use it in a safe way

it helped me get from knowing methods to putting them into action, in a simple way
Protection for mind readers and mentalists: http://tricksofthemind.com
VernonOnCoins
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1880 Posts

Profile of VernonOnCoins
You have them LINK a memory to the card they selected AFTER they choose the card
Mind illusionist
View Profile
Special user
Australia
949 Posts

Profile of Mind illusionist
Agreed with TJ, this effect can play huge when performed well. Ive had people full out swearing and great reactions with just the first phase of E.I. I try to cold read and then tell the spectator what I am visualizing their actual memory to be, when correct this of course is pretty much pure mind reading to the specs, and they totally forget about that cards at that point.
LukeBrady
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of LukeBrady
This is one of those effects you really don't know its true power until after you perform it but one of Jermay's best!
Philliparthur360
View Profile
New user
Griffin, GA
7 Posts

Profile of Philliparthur360
That's why the patter about "When you go to get a psychic reading, these are the topics they will always always read you about" comes in such handy. It's okay to run a little "debunking" monologue as you perform. You can explain why THE SCAM is used and how it relates to faux psychics. Good luck with this one! It's a beauty. Smile
With all due respect,
Phillip Arthur Simmons
parmenion
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland/Zürich
3992 Posts

Profile of parmenion
Quote:

Maxbe it's because you're a beginner and don't mastering/understand and tried what you have seen ( I don't write learned as you see...)
“I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.”
<BR>Oscar Wilde experimentaliste <br>
<BR>Artist pickpocket Professional
<BR>
<BR>Looking for the best book test in French? send me a PM!
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
But it's also important to think about effects that can play huge even when NOT performed well.

Regards,
Mike

Quote:
On 2012-03-02 02:41, Mind illusionist wrote:
Agreed with TJ, this effect can play huge when performed well. Ive had people full out swearing and great reactions with just the first phase of E.I. I try to cold read and then tell the spectator what I am visualizing their actual memory to be, when correct this of course is pretty much pure mind reading to the specs, and they totally forget about that cards at that point.
RichardShure
View Profile
Veteran user
344 Posts

Profile of RichardShure
There are elements in the routine that have merit, however, the routine itself is lacking and has multiple issues.

Looking at the beginning of the routine Luke asks about anyone who has had a psychic reading. People raise their hands and then he basically tells them that they are idiots for going to a psychic. Then tells them that he is better than any psychic. The basic problem with is is two-fold. One, anyone who has had a positive experience with a psychic reading would be a great person to use for a psychic routine, so why turn them against you by telling them everything is fake. (this would be different if the whole idea of the performance was about frauds, fakes...etc But, this is not, it is supposidly an entertainment routine. Two: Why would you every want to belittle or chastise your audience? He was quite condescending in his attitude as he interviewed the audience.

His explanations of how and why a psychic readers would or do perform is a bit muddled. In the beginning of the dialog, I’m not sure what he is trying to tell the audience, other than he is an expert and everyone else is (psychics) are hacks.

Also, looking at his dress was confusing. His dress looked one step above a homeless person. His cod-piece/belt buckle was distracting to the eye. His dress (or lack of it) simply distracted from his message that he is an expert (in anything). There are younger people who will think this dirty/grimy image is kind of hip, however, to older people he simply looks disheveled and filthy.

His explanation of what people want to hear about in a psychic reading was very good. I thought this was an interesting and created a strong hook. However, why were the cards not ready? He wrote on them while talking/interviewing the audience. This looked rude. Don’t ask me a question and while I’m answering busily write on cards. Looks like you don’t really give a rat’s patootie what I have to say to your question.

His first revelation was anti-climatic because, he negated everything that makes this kind of presentation fun, intriguing, and exciting. Because his whole reason for performing this effect is to show everyone that psychic readers are evil, he turned this into nothing more than a card trick with 7 cards. They picked card “D”. You told them they picked card “D”. Not very exciting, as noted by the lack of applause by the audience.

His spectator does the mind reading fell flat as well, for many reasons that I don’t want to go into in an open forum…but it was poorly handled and it was evident by the failure witnessed on the video. I could only wonder…why wouldn’t you shoot this again?

The last phase was (as it should be) the most impressive. Using a basic/classic mentalism trick he predicts the answers to a handful of questions. However, this did not play as impressive as it should since he confused the audience by saying everything is fake and then playing it as if he were real. These kinds of exposes are confusing to the audience. I say…make up your mind, either be a performer and pander to the audience’s expectations – or – play the role of a researcher/scientist and expose and reveal the fraudulent mediums as you see it.

The I’m going to save people role typically plays flat because people want to believe, they have had experience in their lives that tell them this kind of stuff could be real, or they just want to be entertained and not educated.

Ryan, the answer you are looking for: His script needs work yes…but he outlines the 7 subjects that a person is generally interested in hearing about…that is where the emphasis needs to be…Mr. Jermay was all over the map at the beginning of the routine which created your and some of the confusion for the audience.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Emotional Intelligence - Luke Jermay (6 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL