The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Important info about building (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1613 Posts

Profile of Futureal
You guys realize that the original poster is a little kid right? Check out his website in his profile. This is him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGuTZJW5z48
gimpy2
View Profile
Special user
950 Posts

Profile of gimpy2
Well thank God for young magic thinkers with the dream. I think he is great.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11159 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Well said, Gimpy. Some of the biggest advances I've made in magic happened when I followed a dream and basically bit off more than I could chew. It makes you step up to the plate and take a swing. The times when I went nowhere was usually listening to someone who told me I couldn't do what I was thinking I could.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Benjamagic
View Profile
Loyal user
41°02′20″N 73°36′49″W
216 Posts

Profile of Benjamagic
Quote:
On 2012-03-05 21:53, Futureal wrote:
You guys realize that the original poster is a little kid right? Check out his website in his profile. This is him.

Does it matter that I am a 13 year old? I have performed all over the country in competitions and payed shows, so I don't see how it matters that I am only a "little kid." Just because of my age, doesn't mean I can't build it. I find the factor of age irrelevant.
-Ben (original poster)
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22825 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2012-03-06 07:01, Benjamagic wrote:
Quote:

Does it matter that I am a 13 year old? I have performed all over the country in competitions and payed shows, so I don't see how it matters that I am only a "little kid." Just because of my age, doesn't mean I can't build it. I find the factor of age irrelevant.
-Ben (original poster)

It does matter from the point of knowledge of using power tools and wood crafts. Children should not be using such powerful tools that could end your magic career very quickly with only on little error. Safety and responsibility comes 1st.

I suggest you find a parent to cut the pieces and assemble the parts.
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2613 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Quote:
On 2012-03-06 07:01, Benjamagic wrote:
Quote:

-Ben (original poster)

I think he was just trying to explain why Home Depot would build it with you. If you notice, that was the part everyone was surprised and confused about. He wasn't trying to insult you.

s
wandmgc8
View Profile
Regular user
Tennessee
140 Posts

Profile of wandmgc8
Holding my tongue here.....a lot. I enjoyed Ben's videos, the ones I've watched. He's well on his way. Except for a couple of mistakes in his posts, his use of the English language to communicate his thoughts is better than some I'm looking at here, and, elsewhere on the Café. If I had been as good at performing as Ben is at 13, I would probably still be doing it. Positive and proper encouragement is the ticket here.

Michael
MuleePete
View Profile
Loyal user
272 Posts

Profile of MuleePete
So.........how is the Modern Cabinet build going? Photo's?

Pete
Ray Tupper.
View Profile
Special user
NG16.
750 Posts

Profile of Ray Tupper.
Hello Ben.
Don't just read the negative ill informed posts,take notice
of the more encouraging messages as well.
I first started helping my elder brother at about your age.Fast forward 36 years and I'm still doing it,
though now,I run my own business,and occasionally employ my elder brother when I'm overly busy.
My elder brother was a French polisher and cabinet maker.
Guess what I became???....And,I still have all my fingers.These holier than thou members
who have accused you of God knows what,and tried to discourage you from doing the thing that you love,
don't know which orifice from which they speak.
If you want to do it,or even try it,do it!No loss no gain.
I wish you all the best in your endeavours!
Cheers,Ray.
What do we want?
A cure for tourettes!
When do we want it?
C*nt!
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Has the YouTube video been made private, or am I doing something wrong?

As for building and safety, I was building magic props at age 10 or 11. I didn't have nice power tools, but I had a great time building. If you have someone who is experienced to assist you with the building and serve as another set of eyes for safety reasons, I say "Go for it!"
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Benjamagic
View Profile
Loyal user
41°02′20″N 73°36′49″W
216 Posts

Profile of Benjamagic
I have made the YouTube video private... if you would like to see it, email me at bzabin@gcds.net and I will email you the link.
gimpy2
View Profile
Special user
950 Posts

Profile of gimpy2
Clinton,

Looks like the clip is now private. All it is is a basic backstage magic bit. Ben starts out buy saying that he is going to show how magic works backstage. He then follows with the sucker effect. If you only watch the first 10 seconds you could get the wrong impression I guess. Kirby Vanburch dose a bit like this in his show and nobody calls him a thief. All so uncalled for.

I grew up running power tools. My Dad was a Home builder so I started working on his crews at age 12. These days they would probably lock my Dad up. Back then teens were expected to learn a work ethic at a very young age. That being said you can get hurt very bad with power tools so its important to get good training. That goes for adults too.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11159 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I'm not sure how many videos Ben had posted, but I watched a few of them, and found nothing wrong. Mr. Octopus should take his eight thumbs out of his tail pipe and quit harassing people. Attacking someone through private message defines cowardice in my eyes.

Ben, I hope you don't respond to this guy. Be the bigger person.

As for learning to use power tools, if not now, when? As with most things, knowledge is power.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
IDOTRIX
View Profile
Elite user
Darien,il
467 Posts

Profile of IDOTRIX
Unfortunately most schools don't have woods hops anymore, grammar schools that is. I remember starting at ten with power tools, thank goodness for school because safety was always first. Still have all ten digits. If you need help with anything Ben drop me a PM. I live just outside of Chicago. Mike
gimpy2
View Profile
Special user
950 Posts

Profile of gimpy2
Wood shop stories might be a good topic here in the work shop.

But on topic..... Go Ben, Proud of you to hang in there and stick up for yourself. Can not wait to see what you come up with.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Important info about building (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL