The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Real Secrets » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..9..15..21..27..31~32~33~34~35..44..52..60..68..76..77~78~79 [Next]
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4935 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
Not ripped off. I learned Mandarin Chinese the hard way. Not going to school just picking it up. I do my whole show in Mandarin now.
When you learn another language you are constantly wrong. Actually, having kids and teaching things,then thinking maybe another way is better and feeling I was wrong, I simply tell them I was wrong. It's good to admit it. I'm sure you have no idea what I am talking about.

sirbrad, how many languages can you speak fluently? Be prepared to prove it.
Here is a small sample of me doing cups and balls on TV, in Mandarin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHmEH9p6D0Y

James

Quote:
On 2012-03-14 21:52, sirbrad wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-03-14 18:50, Xiqual wrote:
I will absolutely say, "Wow I was totally ripped off again, I am so stupid."
I don't mind admitting when I am wrong, especially since I am wrong so often,lol
I suppose I am just used to it.

The hope of spring eternal wells within my soul, or some crap like that.
James

Quote:
On 2012-03-14 07:49, Russell Davidson wrote:
Even if you're dissatisfied how many of you would be prepared to admit publicly you've been stitched up?

So you make it a habit of getting ripped off? Smile
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
billmarq
View Profile
Special user
State near Arizona
570 Posts

Profile of billmarq
I am going to wait for the book, "Real Secrets, Volume 1." Smile
Honi soit quit mal y pense.
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Quote:
On 2012-03-15 01:10, Xiqual wrote:

James

Nice clip, James. Glad I didn't read the title before watching it. You really do seem comfortable with the Mandarin, too. Now I feel even more self conscious about my pathetic 8 year struggle with French.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic

WOW! James, I already liked you and your Café posts, but this was wonderful. IMPRESSIVE!!
FrenchDrop
View Profile
Inner circle
I can name that tune in
1647 Posts

Profile of FrenchDrop
Quote:
Here is a small sample of me doing cups and balls on TV, in Mandarin

Holy cow. I'm glad I saw Maxfield's post and made a point of not looking at the title before watching the clip. Very nice finish! Smile

And all in rapid-fire Mandarin. You're a renaissance man. I thought I did catch a "Let's go!" in there -- or was that just my brain trying to turn unfamiliar words into something I recognize?
"A great magician has said of his profession that its practitioners '… must pound and rack their brains to make the least learning go in, but quarrelling always comes very naturally to them.'” -- Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell
FrenchDrop
View Profile
Inner circle
I can name that tune in
1647 Posts

Profile of FrenchDrop
Quote:
No vested interest in RS, just heartily sick of the Café's answer to Holden Caulfield.

That's probably giving him too much credit, too.

Check out the "posts in the last 30 days" link at the top of his profile. It doesn't take a minute to look at the first several pages, as there's very little variation. At the time of this post:

On the first page, titled "Showing Results 1-25," every single post is one he made in this thread.

On the second page, showing results 26-50, 22 of the 25 posts were made in this thread.

Third page: 16 of the 25 posts were made in this thread.

Fourth page: 22 of the 25 posts were made in this thread.

So. Of his past 100 posts, 85 were made in this one thread. The great majority of the remaining 15 posts were made on the "New Releases from Blue Crown" thread, and contain the same kind of bickering we were subjected to here -- right down to the accusations of dishonesty, the delusions of grandeur about exposing fraud, and the angry obsession with older men.

I'd feel sorry for the kid if he weren't so annoying.
"A great magician has said of his profession that its practitioners '… must pound and rack their brains to make the least learning go in, but quarrelling always comes very naturally to them.'” -- Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4935 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
Thanks for all the nice comments. FrenchDrop, you did hear a "Let's go" in there,lol.

MaxfieldsMagic, French is HARD!! My sister lives in Montreal and they just laugh at my pronunciation of French words.
Chinese has no grammar, just syntax, so it is pretty easy.

Zombie magic Clarke, thank you, if you knew how long we took care of those ducks before we let them go in the park,sheesh, such trouble.
I have heard that Gali Gali used to flush his baby chicks down the toilet after his shows. Ahhhh the good old days.

James
ps
I can't believe sirbrad is talking about people's Mothers. Just sad.
Sean Macfarlane
View Profile
Special user
880 Posts

Profile of Sean Macfarlane
Nice one James. I got to hand it to you, your Chinese is pretty darn good! Not that I would really know or anything as I live in Hong Kong. Thumbs up anyhow!!!
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4935 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
Thanks Sean,
Cantonese is REALLY hard though. Mandarin has four tones but Cantonese has eight or nine. Plus Cantonese has tons of slang that is really hard to
get if you are not a native. Similar here is Taiwanese or Fuchien. I love it and I do use some jokes but really learning Fuchien is a daunting task. Hong Kong is so fun!
James

Quote:
On 2012-03-15 05:19, Sean Macfarlane wrote:
Nice one James. I got to hand it to you, your Chinese is pretty darn good! Not that I would really know or anything as I live in Hong Kong. Thumbs up anyhow!!!
Michael Jay
View Profile
Regular user
Toledo, Ohio
180 Posts

Profile of Michael Jay
When I was a child, mom would kiss my boo-boos and make the pain go away.

Maybe if someone kissed sirbrad, he would go away.

Anyone want to take one for the team?

Mike.

Edited in:

While I can't understand a word you're saying, James, I thoroughly enjoyed your cup and ball presentation. Good stuff, man, just good stuff!
You can get the latest issues of Top Hat by clicking here.
Visit us on FaceBook by clicking here.
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4451 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Great job, James. Love those cups, they look like they've been around the world a few times....some real character to them. It looked like a fun show to be on...the finale nailed them good! Out of curiosity, what's the shelf life on those ducks? How long can you use them for the cups before they[re too big? How long to train them, and how many do you end up owning before you let them back into the wild?
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
James, Since you are a Renaissance man who has come through financial difficulties in the past, I can see you teaching Mandarin on the side.
TH

Occupy Your Dream
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
BTW, I like Cups & Balls MUCH better in Mandarin!

Just a thought, you could honor our beloved contributor sirbrad by naming one of those ducklings after him!

(Didn't someone say something about "shelf life")?
TH

Occupy Your Dream
Jim Sparx
View Profile
Inner circle
Far Out, Texas
1144 Posts

Profile of Jim Sparx
I said I would not be back - so I lied. I did come back to acknowledge the cups and balls man and his ability to speak Chinese. I don't know if you are aware of this or not but the US govt is looking for translators, so if you are hard up for a job... go there.
I was in Korea for 16 months in the early 50s and was able to pick up some of the language and converse with the natives, but not to the extent of our cups and balls man.
Now I will go away again. Thread is too depressing and someone does not like old people, like me...Adios
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
Spartacus, We missed you and your great sense of humour. Don't let one attention-hungry dufus ruin your fun. Some of us like old people! Some of us ARE old people!
TH

Occupy Your Dream
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
So far I've managed to gimmick
1817 Posts

Profile of gaffed
Quote:
On 2012-03-15 12:19, spartacus wrote:
I said I would not be back - so I lied. I did come back to acknowledge the cups and balls man and his ability to speak Chinese. I don't know if you are aware of this or not but the US govt is looking for translators, so if you are hard up for a job... go there.
I was in Korea for 16 months in the early 50s and was able to pick up some of the language and converse with the natives, but not to the extent of our cups and balls man.
Now I will go away again. Thread is too depressing and someone does not like old people, like me...Adios

Maybe the Café should have a separate forum for old farts like us spartucus. No one under the age of 50 is allowed in. Smile

Other than that; great job James albeit I did here a few mistakes with your Mandarin. Yeah.....right!
I’m still working on my English after 65 years and suddenly becoming more and more self conscious of my Chicago accent! lol
"Half this game is ninety percent mental."
~Yogi Berra~

"To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." ~St. Thomas Aquinas~

Twitter"A means of proving how pathetic and lonely you are in 140 characters or less." ~Anonymous~
FrenchDrop
View Profile
Inner circle
I can name that tune in
1647 Posts

Profile of FrenchDrop
Quote:
On 2012-03-15 12:37, gaffed wrote:
Maybe the Café should have a separate forum for old farts like us spartucus. No one under the age of 50 is allowed in. Smile

Hey, I'm under 50, and apparently I'm an old man by a certain person's standards. I guess your definition of "old" depends on how young you are. When I was 12, I thought people in their 30s were old.
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Quote:
On 2012-03-14 19:07, Mr. Mystoffelees wrote:
I am getting confused. Have these RS effects been shown before, but not taught, or totally secret (in which case, have they been market-tested?

)

Sorry, just couldn't stand to have that open paren floating in c-space forever...

Jim

P.S. James- Very nice routine- and so well received! Nice...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
So far I've managed to gimmick
1817 Posts

Profile of gaffed
Quote:
On 2012-03-15 12:45, FrenchDrop wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-03-15 12:37, gaffed wrote:

Hey, I'm under 50, and apparently I'm an old man by a certain person's standards. I guess your definition of "old" depends on how young you are. When I was 12, I thought people in their 30s were old.

OK French....we'll give ya a Gold pass membership. Smile
"Half this game is ninety percent mental."
~Yogi Berra~

"To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." ~St. Thomas Aquinas~

Twitter"A means of proving how pathetic and lonely you are in 140 characters or less." ~Anonymous~
FrenchDrop
View Profile
Inner circle
I can name that tune in
1647 Posts

Profile of FrenchDrop
Quote:
On 2012-03-15 14:17, gaffed wrote:
OK French....we'll give ya a Gold pass membership. Smile

I'm just glad my application was accepted. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Real Secrets » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..9..15..21..27..31~32~33~34~35..44..52..60..68..76..77~78~79 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL