The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Close-up Pads? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
rlk7
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of rlk7
The other day I was practicing some card tricks on my webcam and I thought how useful a close-up pad would be to put on my little table here. So I went onto penguin magic and found that the things are like 12 bucks. I did a search and found that many people recommend the Apollo Pad, which is larger but also really expensive (like 30 bucks). So my question for all you helpful people is: Do you know of a cheap alternative to a close-up pad? I have heard that Staples sells a very large mouse-pad, but I'm not sure if this is appropriate for my needs. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks. Ryan Smile
WilliamWHolcomb
View Profile
Special user
Twinsburg, Ohio
533 Posts

Profile of WilliamWHolcomb
Do a quick search and you'll come up with several threads dealing with this topic. I remember one about the large mouse pads being used as a close-up pad but many said the surface was too slick.

Bill
William Holcomb
rlk7
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of rlk7
I found one thread where someone mentioned mouse pads, but I could not find anything where people commented on how mouse pads worked as close-up pads. Smile
Doc Eason
View Profile
V.I.P.
Aspen Colorado
429 Posts

Profile of Doc Eason
If you want a real professional grade closeup pad and have a special size you need (besides the stock sizes) be sure and contact Pattrick at
pattrick@buckeye-express.com
he is the guy who makes the closeup pads that we use at the Tower... mine is a 1’ x 4’ mat for the bar... but he has some wonderful pads in nice colors...

doc
Doc Eason’s Rocky Mountain Magic

PO Box 50 / Basalt CO 81621

doc@doceason.com

http://doceason.com

http://doceasonmagicshop.com
Luis Sirgado
View Profile
New user
Portugal
90 Posts

Profile of Luis Sirgado
Go to http://www.magicshop.co.uk, they have a very good close-up pad.

luis
"One of the greatest accomplishments of magicians in the last century is the ability to take something inherently profound and render it trivial."

-Max Maven-
Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
Unless you are an elitist, you can get pads free or at very low cost, (as in one dollar) Most any carpet store or outlet has samples of every description. Just about any surface, color and/or texture. The perfect size, too!
"Howie Diddit"
sanscan@tds.net

"I will never bitter be, as long as I can laugh at me!"

"The people who were dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
Eight Spades
View Profile
Elite user
Ohio (northwest)
482 Posts

Profile of Eight Spades
I'll second Doc Eason. Pattrick is a good friend of mine and he has by far the best pads. I've got three and have been using them religiously for over a year now.

-Christian
"Tricks are only the crude residue from which the lifeblood of magic has been drained." -S.H. Sharpe
rlk7
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of rlk7
Quote:
On 2003-09-23 12:57, sanscan wrote:
Unless you are an elitist, you can get pads free or at very low cost, (as in one dollar) Most any carpet store or outlet has samples of every description. Just about any surface, color and/or texture. The perfect size, too!
"Howie Diddit"

Hmm...good idea. I might take up that idea. No one knows about giant mouse pads though eh? lol. Smile
Hoelderlin
View Profile
Regular user
Turin, italy
112 Posts

Profile of Hoelderlin
Mouse pads work well, of course upside-down. The problem is the ex up-side, now down, slides... a good altenative can be a pasteboard covered with green or black or red velvet.
Hölderlin (Massimo Manca) - Circolo Amici della Magia - Turin - Italy.
rlk7
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of rlk7
I'm still gonna attempt to use the giant mouse pad...it's worth a try. Smile
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Don Alan used to take billiard table green cloth and make a bag with foam rubber inside. He made and sold two sizes.

I found a jewelry supply outfit that sold nice semi-rigid pads for displaying jewelry that folded inward into two.

Dean Dill, and others, make custom pads.

You can also buy miniature oritental rugs in outlet stores that are interesting... Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
lowphat
View Profile
Loyal user
Michigan
240 Posts

Profile of lowphat
Another place where you can find some decent sized close-up pads with variety is ronjo.com. Although the larger ones are a bit more expensive. I have one of the large professional sized ones, and it is great, as well as a small one that I bought from penguin.

Low Phat
Cameron Roat
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
728 Posts

Profile of Cameron Roat
I purchased an Apollo pad from The Magic Warehouse about a month or so ago. It's fairly large, 16"x23" I believe, and it suits me well. I set it on my desk in front of a mirror and it works well as a little practice station.
ASW
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of ASW
For what it's worth, here's a response on this subject I posted last October.

Andrew

-----------------------------
Here's a way to make a mat for the price of admission to a magic convention.

Make sure you go to a convention that has a mentalist lecturing. Now wait until 25 minutes after his lecture has started - but make sure you wait outside. Very important, okay?

Now: insert cotton wool into your ears and sneak into the lecture hall. By this time the attendees will be fast asleep. Crawl between the rows and look for older attendees. If you're lucky you should be able to swipe a dozen or more toupees.

Now sneak back out again, being careful not to look at the lecturer - those guys are like the fabled Medusa of Greek mythology. So be careful. Might be an idea to wear a mentalist's blindfold - just look at the floor.

Now take the rugs to a craft store. Have the lady plait them into a nice card mat. Et voila! Okay so it'll be gingery but it will NEVER wear out!

Don't thank me, just send money.

'GD'
Whenever I find myself gripping anything too tightly I just ask myself "How would Guy Hollingworth hold this?"

A magician on the Genii Forum

"I would respect VIPs if they respect history."

Hideo Kato
usa
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of usa
I don't understand, a $30 closeup pad too expensive?'
First of all this will service you for years to come.
Unlike carpets(!) a closeup pad is either black or comes in some other solid colors that will make you fill better about practicing and look somewhat more sane then guys with carpets.
on the mouse pads issue:
now my mouse pad is 8x10 and cost me around $10
how in the world you are going to get a giant mouse pad and save money on this deal plus the fact that it is too slippery?
CharlieC
View Profile
Elite user
488 Posts

Profile of CharlieC
I recommend Dean Dill's pads. They are beautiful and functional.
"Whenever he gets in a fix he reaches into his bag of tricks.
Felix the cat, the wonderful, wonderful cat..."
dillib
View Profile
Elite user
476 Posts

Profile of dillib
Are the Apollo pads the ones which don't crease when folded?
ASW
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of ASW
Quote:
On 2003-09-24 06:05, usa wrote:
I don't understand, a $30 closeup pad too expensive?'
First of all this will service you for years to come.
Unlike carpets(!) a closeup pad is either black or comes in some other solid colors that will make you fill better about practicing and look somewhat more sane then guys with carpets.
on the mouse pads issue:
now my mouse pad is 8x10 and cost me around $10
how in the world you are going to get a giant mouse pad and save money on this deal plus the fact that it is too slippery?

I agree with you. What is it with magicians wanting to find a free, inferior product when a quality mat is only a few bucks and will last years? My two main performing mats are over six years old...

Why are magicians such cheapskates...?

AW
Whenever I find myself gripping anything too tightly I just ask myself "How would Guy Hollingworth hold this?"

Hideo Kato
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
Pffffff, read thru the threads and you'll see A LOT of people who are more interested in cheap magic props than good magic props, don't ask me why...
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
ASW
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of ASW
Yes, I know, it's bizarre. What a strange attitude!

Hideo Kato
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Close-up Pads? (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL