The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Tip Over Box - My first try at making one. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Floyd Collins
View Profile
Inner circle
Ohio
1633 Posts

Profile of Floyd Collins
Hello All,

This is my first attempt at creating my own illusion prop since I was in scouts and my dad helped me build my first square and circle for a scouting show I did, I was 10 at the time and after doing this project my gosh I did not give my dad enough credit for helping build my first illusion.

So let me give you some background as to why I built this prop. I received a call from the local parks department asking if I would be willing to help with a fund raiser this summer, because of funding cut the parks needing money for little league diamonds.

I agreed and asked what type of show they would like, while talking to the guy he said it would be neat if I produced a very old collectors baseball that they would be selling for a donation bids the next day.

I knew there were many ways to do the production but I wanted this to be special and include a childhood story of losing my first baseball that I treasured. Really get the emotions going for this baseball sale. This got me thinking of how I could do this, and I recalled many years ago reading someplace about a box that could do what I needed.

I found a pre-made box at our local craft store that I felt would be perfect for this prop. Good thing too because no way do I have the talent to make a box look this good.

Not being a prop builder I turned to the Café here and asked Michael Baker for help, someone who I have read a lot of his posts on building props and over the years checked out many of the fine props that he has created.

He drew up some plans and e-mailed them to me. Once I looked it over it dawned on me where I saw this before. So to my library I went to dig out the good old Tarbell books. There is was, just what I wanted to build “The tar bell tip over treasure chest”.

With the suggestions from Michael and Tarbell I was all set. Creating the needed gaffs to make the tip over load area was a little more difficult then I first thought, but I just sanded and worked it till everything came together.

I also wanted this box to be handled in the hands and not need a table so I made a few more adjustments so I can operate the box with no table needed.

I stained it, buffed it, made it look real nice then beat it up! You will see some scuffs and marks on this box in the final photos. I need this too look aged some due to the routine I have put together.
Please don’t flog me too bad for what you see. I truly bow to you all who make props look so nice.

Total cost of this box came in around $30.00 it is worth a lot more to me just to have something I built the way I want it that works perfect.

Thank You Michael for all your help

Here are the photos of the box before and after.

http://www.collinscomedymagic.com/TipOverPhotos/

Floyd
No one said it would be easy, or did they?

Check out my all new book "Chicken Scratches" visit my lulu store for more information.

http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/thecenterstage

http://www.collinscomedymagic.com
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
That looks terrific, good for you!
Loopback
View Profile
Veteran user
Lincoln, Nebraska
359 Posts

Profile of Loopback
Great job Floyd.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Looks awesome!
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
chill
View Profile
Veteran user
colorado, usa
385 Posts

Profile of chill
Nice work Floyd! using props you've built adds depth to your show. what's next in your workshop?
bob
I spent most of my money on magic and women, the rest i just wasted
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
And you thought performing MAGIC was addictive...welcome back to the workshop! :o)

That is a dandy looking prop, and -- from your brief description of your routine -- a nice presentation as well. I'll bet you will knock/have knocked that ball straight outta the park!
borderjs
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of borderjs
Awesome, this is something I would like to start doing myself!
Floyd Collins
View Profile
Inner circle
Ohio
1633 Posts

Profile of Floyd Collins
Hey guys thanks for the complements. I am not sure what my next project will be but now my mind is humming with ideas. Again thank you for the comments, I appreciate it.

Floyd
No one said it would be easy, or did they?

Check out my all new book "Chicken Scratches" visit my lulu store for more information.

http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/thecenterstage

http://www.collinscomedymagic.com
calimagician
View Profile
Regular user
143 Posts

Profile of calimagician
Very nice job!
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Excellent job Floyd. I did not know you were a carpenter.
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Floyd,

You give yourself too little credit. That is one beautiful prop! I would consider making them for sale if I were you!
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
MichaelDouglas
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
766 Posts

Profile of MichaelDouglas
Hey Floyd, did you take the pic down? The link no longer works?
MichaelDouglas
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
766 Posts

Profile of MichaelDouglas
Hey Floyd, did you take the pic down? The link no longer works?
maharajademagia
View Profile
Regular user
127 Posts

Profile of maharajademagia
I don't see a thing on that link.
MRSharpe
View Profile
Special user
Never a dull moment with
940 Posts

Profile of MRSharpe
Nothing but a 404 error. It's a dead link maharajademagia.
Custom Props Designer and Fabricator as well as Performer from Indiana, USA
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Tip Over Box - My first try at making one. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL