The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Grandpa's diary (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
cirrus
View Profile
Inner circle
his minions made
1751 Posts

Profile of cirrus
Everybody knows diary effects. This one is different.
The spectator does nearly all the work.
They can shuffle the deck. They can deal the cards. They look at the card at their date and the cards matches. Every time. Very easy. Nothing to remember, Nothing to calculate.
It matches these conditions:
1. only one diary is used
2. the diary is on the table at the start of the effect
3. the date is named
4. a single deck of cards is brought out
5. the spectator deals the cards one by one, stopping whenever he likes
6. the card arrived at is the card at his or her's birthday.
7. the date can't be forced in any way.
8. it uses a normal non-gaffed deck (So the spectator can handle the cards and shuffle).
9. the magician never opens the diary.
10. The diary is fully examinable.

Unbelievable? Read how to do this effect in: Grandpa's diary available from Lulu at:
http://www.lulu.com/product/pocketboek/g......18903117
David Klass
View Profile
Inner circle
Beckenham, England
1204 Posts

Profile of David Klass
Sounds great, but I guess the performer has to move some cards around when he takes them out the box.

Even if you can do this with the perfect pass I think the effect becomes weak.

How can this be stronger than the spectator naming any date and your prediction card (just one card) matches.

Now if you tell me the performer at no point touches the deck or diary I'm impressed.
cirrus
View Profile
Inner circle
his minions made
1751 Posts

Profile of cirrus
The performer has to touch the deck, but it's all covered in the presentation. In most diary effect I have come across, the performer has to touch the deck, and never was it motivated. In this one it is, and no passes or difficult sleight of hand. Everything happens under the spectator's nose. It's just that bolt.
mike donoghue
View Profile
Inner circle
1299 Posts

Profile of mike donoghue
This sounds good but all of this can be done with all of the same conditions with ' Old Moores Diary' by Patric Page and also 'Validate' by Val le Val without any displacement of cards.

I am a fan of diary effects and have bought many over the years, but without seeing this done it doesn't seem to offer anything new that the two above already offer.

Mike Donoghue
cirrus
View Profile
Inner circle
his minions made
1751 Posts

Profile of cirrus
The two of the above need you to add the month and the date and don't let the spectator shuffle the cards. In mine they can.

This diary effect is totally different from every version that has been released before. It uses a totally different handling and way of thinking.
David Klass
View Profile
Inner circle
Beckenham, England
1204 Posts

Profile of David Klass
OK cirrus.

So, the spectator shuffles the cards - great. But then I guess you need to take them back, look at them and do something Smile
cirrus
View Profile
Inner circle
his minions made
1751 Posts

Profile of cirrus
I don't need to look at them. I just need to give them further instructions. Nothing unnatural.
mike donoghue
View Profile
Inner circle
1299 Posts

Profile of mike donoghue
Sounds good but I will wait until Magicbox get it in and then watch a demo.

Mike
David Klass
View Profile
Inner circle
Beckenham, England
1204 Posts

Profile of David Klass
Sounds like you could be onto a winner then cirrus, but like Mike said I would need to see a demo first.

Thanks

David
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2776 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Wow, I think it went up $7 since you advertised here!

s
cirrus
View Profile
Inner circle
his minions made
1751 Posts

Profile of cirrus
Quote:
On 2012-02-21 09:38, the Sponge wrote:
Wow, I think it went up $7 since you advertised here!

s

That's because the first one was a pdf and I didn't want it to be an ebook, so I made the paperback version.
cirrus
View Profile
Inner circle
his minions made
1751 Posts

Profile of cirrus
Did I tell already it has no memorization or calculation?
Lar
View Profile
Veteran user
New Port Richey, FL
318 Posts

Profile of Lar
This sounds like a very intriguing effect cirrus.

I'm trying to get a picture in my mind of how I would like this to play for an audience.

With Grandpa's diary I would like the performance to run in this exact order...

1. I introduce Grandpa's Diary, and hand it out to be examined.

2. I take the diary back, close it and place it on the table. The diary is never touched by me for the remainder of the performance.

3. I introduce a boxed deck of cards.

4. I hand them to an audience member. The cards are never touched by me for the remainder of the performance.

5. I ask the audience member to remove the cards from the box.

6. I ask them to examine the cards.

7. I ask them to shuffle the cards thoroughly.

8. I ask them to start dealing cards one at a time face down onto the table. I tell them that when they get the urge they can stop dealing at any time.

9. I ask them to place the card they stopped at (which still face down and at this point unknown) off to one side. The rest of the cards are set aside out of play.

10. I ask the audience member to name aloud a totally free choice of date. No funny math, no force, they just to name a date. Lets imagine that they name the date "the 2nd June".

11. I ask the audience member to pick up Grandpa's Diary, turn to the entry for the date they just named and read aloud the card at that date. Let's imagine that the audience member turns to the entry for "the 2nd June" and reads aloud, "the Seven of Diamonds".

12. I ask the audience member to turn over the card they stopped at.

13. The card they stopped at will match the card specified in the diary for their chosen date, i.e. The Seven of Diamonds.

Can the Grandpa's Diary effect be performed precisely in the way I have just described?

If the answer is an emphatic "yes" then then you have really caught my interest cirrus; sounds like you could be onto a winner here.

If the answer is "no" or "maybe" then please feel free to PM me with details of the elements in the performance that would need to be altered.

P.S:

This probably goes without saying but just for completeness; Can any diary can be setup to be used in this effect?

Regards,

Laurence.
David Klass
View Profile
Inner circle
Beckenham, England
1204 Posts

Profile of David Klass
If it can be performed exactly as above Laurence I'd be very, very impressed Smile
cirrus
View Profile
Inner circle
his minions made
1751 Posts

Profile of cirrus
Any diary can be setup and only your condition 4 and 13 are sleightly touched. Still it is better then ALL the other diary effects to date. Every small discrepancy is perfectly motivated during the routine.
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Quote:
On 2012-02-22 05:47, cirrus wrote:
Any diary can be setup and only your condition 4 and 13 are sleightly touched. Still it is better then ALL the other diary effects to date. Every small discrepancy is perfectly motivated during the routine.

Really? Better than ALL the other diary effects? What about those diary effects that don't use a deck of cards? Wouldn't you say that by adding a deck you're taking a step backwards? I know the argument that those without a deck are mentalism and those with a deck is magic. I don't care for such nonsense, both are basically the same trick just with a different presentational spin. One just uses more props than the other.

I've seen both types of diary effect performed, ie with and without a deck, and sitting in the audience watching the effect the no deck versions just play better for me. They are easier to follow and from the audiences point of view only one prop is used, the diary. The only thing that would really make this trick better, in my opinion, would be to have a member of the audience make the prediction themselves by simply thinking of a card and writing it down.

Then have the date named, the spectator goes to that date in the diary and the card written there matches the one simply named by the 1st spectator. For me that would be the trick that would be "better than ALL the other diary effects".

Sorry if my post sounds harsh. I'm not knocking you or your product. I'm sure if someone wanted to perform the diary trick with a deck of cards your method would be great. I just don't think the use of a deck of cards is an improvement on those diary effects on the market that don't use a deck.
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Yeah, there are some pretty great diary effects out there. Saying this one is the best is pretty bold.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
cirrus
View Profile
Inner circle
his minions made
1751 Posts

Profile of cirrus
There are versions that use a diary and don't use a diary. For the versions that use a diary this is the 3rd best. Only 2 proceed this effect and both are from Simon Aronson. My effect uses less work but still packs the same punch as those of Aronson.
David Klass
View Profile
Inner circle
Beckenham, England
1204 Posts

Profile of David Klass
Quote:
On 2012-02-22 11:52, cirrus wrote:
There are versions that use a diary and don't use a diary. For the versions that use a diary this is the 3rd best. Only 2 proceed this effect and both are from Simon Aronson. My effect uses less work but still packs the same punch as those of Aronson.

Where does Chronologue stand?
In my opinion the best diary effect there has ever been.
cirrus
View Profile
Inner circle
his minions made
1751 Posts

Profile of cirrus
I have had this discussion before when I announced Grandpa's diary on the mentalism forum. I like diary tricks with a deck of cards more.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Grandpa's diary (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL