The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Origins of Cards Across (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

pepo
View Profile
New user
Madrid
12 Posts

Profile of pepo
I´ve been searching through the forum and I didn´t find much informartion. I´m looking for the origins of Cards Across, the first versions of this effect, and which do you think are the best versions. Thank you very much!!!!
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
In my Mini-Mysteries Book 3 Section, I have a collection of essays and effects based on the various Cards Across effects and principles. According to my research Michael Zens came up with the first Cards Across in sealed envelopes (1907), but the effect as performed using just playing cards is shrouded in antiquity.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Uli Weigel
View Profile
Inner circle
Berlin, Germany
1477 Posts

Profile of Uli Weigel
If you want to find out more about Cards Across, the best source is "Across the Void" by Paul Hallas (he's a member here), an exclusive treatise about the effect, its history etc. Dunno if it's still available, but it's worth looking for.

The earliest known reference seems to be "The Multiplication of Cards While in the Spectator's Hands." in J. N. Ponsin's Nouvelle Magie Blanche Devoilee from 1856. But I bet, the plot - in one form or another - is much older.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Origins of Cards Across (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL