The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Gerti by Romanos review (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8736 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
On the checkout it gives free shipping on Gerti. Can anyone that's ordered confirm that's correct?
Stevie Tricker
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of Stevie Tricker
Mine arrived today through Full52 including Dave's three phase routine where you read them, verbally, facially then predict the last one ahead of time on a business card.

I see what some are saying about the gimmick but mine feels like it could just use a bit of a file in certain places then it should fly by. The way that the effect is structured they should never be looking at the area that could give the game away.

Looking forward to trying this one out.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8736 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
I received an e-mail from Magic Tao confirming there is free world wide shipping on Gerti!

click: Gerti By Romanos - American Quarter

That's a gerat price for a prop and DVD with routines. I also have a few ideas of my own.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
6587 Posts

Profile of RNK
Got this yesterday- as someone else posted- yes- I could immediately see some things but of coarse I was looking for something. I got the quarter version. Now- as some here have stated- I think it will fly by the specs- but I would be careful to what specs. Now I don't know if it's just mine or not but there is a fairly good irregularity with the face of my coin. And obviously those who have this know that's not where the secret lies. I'm a little bummed about that because in a well lighted area this can be easily spotted. Though- if held and diplayed as normal change- it still might fly. Again, I think it will work and can't wait to try it out. I will post back after testing to let you know if I was compromised, lol!! For $20.00- it's worth it.

RNK
littlethumbtip
View Profile
Regular user
San Antonio, Texas
170 Posts

Profile of littlethumbtip
Guys,

This effect appeals to me as a prelude into moving into "Nest of Wallets" as a finale. However, I'm having great difficulty finding the Gerti coin in American currency (quarter), and I may just have to change course into using Mariano Goni's amazing "signed" effect as a preamble to a "nest of wallets" finale.

The Magic Tao site seems to be down for the last couple of days and I've already struck out, in contacting as well as in quick responses, with other British online magic distributors (i.e., Alakazam UK, Dude that's cool magic, Full 52 etc.....) Each claims only carrying English currency for this effect.

Chad Sanborn mentioned in his post that a similar effect may have already been released. Does anyone remember by what name the first, similar(?), effect was released? Any guidance would be appreciated (assuming no other chance at obtaining Gerti in a U.S quarter format)!

I don't believe that Patrick Redford's PREVARICATOR uses a gimmicked coin, or that it is 100% reliable in guessing the "true hand" for objects. I might be wrong about this, though!

Thanks for any help.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8736 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
On 2013-04-28 14:59, littlethumbtip wrote:

....The Magic Tao site seems to be down for the last couple of days

I've been on their site the last couple days with no issues:

http://www.magictao.co.uk/gerti-by-roman......?path=74
littlethumbtip
View Profile
Regular user
San Antonio, Texas
170 Posts

Profile of littlethumbtip
Zombie,

Many thanks for providing the link to Magictao. However, attempts to access that link using my Mac via Safari, then Chrome, then lastly Firefox, have all met with failure...as before.

Very strange. I'm having no problems accessing all other UK online magic dealerships, however.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
6587 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On 2013-04-28 16:17, littlethumbtip wrote:
Zombie,

Many thanks for providing the link to Magictao. However, attempts to access that link using my Mac via Safari, then Chrome, then lastly Firefox, have all met with failure...as before.

Very strange. I'm having no problems accessing all other UK online magic dealerships, however.

I pm'd you where you can get one.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8736 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
I've been using Gerti the last week and it's a winner. The DVD is well done with thorough explanations and extra routines.

For the basic lie detector routine, there really isn't anything to learn except a routine. The better the routine, the stronger the impact.

The Al Baker card routine, Poker Face, lets you read the "tells" of the person you perform for. People are blown away by it because just by the movement of their eyes, etc. you know their card. I'm essentially using the same routine for the Gerti coin trick.

I ask if they have a quarter ( the one time someone didn't, I gave them one to use ) I take a few coins from my pocket. I have a penny, nickel, dime and 3 quarters ( one of them is Gerti ).

My gimmick has my initials pre-signed. When I take the change from my pocket ( I simply make an adjustment so my initials aren't showing.

I have them initial their quarter and then I pretend to initial mine. They take both quarters and I turn my back, holding out my hand for them to place one of the coins into my hand.

That's it. You know which coin you have. The rest is acting/routining.

As in the Baker routine, people are gobsmacked that you can know which quarter is where based on their tells. I'll carry this with me, always!
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8736 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Penguin has them listed on the site now, in U.S. UK and Euro coins.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/search.php?q=gerti

I did a very unscientific test when I got the coin. My wife knows gaffs. On our first date when I mentioned magic as a hobby, she said "do you have that thumb and the two coins that stick together ( S&S )".

I took several quarters and asked her if she could tell which 2 were trick coins. One by one I gave them to her. The first two passed ( one was Gerti ). The 3rd...was a flipper and she got that by running her thumb on the back. The 4th and 5th passed, but she got the 6th ( quarter through bottle ).
Harrismatic
View Profile
Elite user
Greece
435 Posts

Profile of Harrismatic
Quote:
On 2013-05-06 14:29, Zombie Magic wrote:
I've been using Gerti the last week and it's a winner.

I am going to agree with Zombie that this is a winner. It never fails to get great reactions and the effects that can be performed are really bold.

The most important thing for gerti is that it is not just a gimmick, it is a tool! I have been experimenting with many different ideas and presentations. It can be a lie detection test, a mind reading act, a game with the ages on the coins...

Combining this with some other mental routines and by using this principle as a "hit" you can really walk the extra mile.

It is a gimmick under spectator's noses that can not be really spotted. Besides, this is a mental effect in which nothing unfamiliar is used that could make them suspicious. The focus is on completely other things (f.e. if you looked at the coins) that of course have nothing to do with the secret.

Just my thoughts... Smile

Best regards,
Harrismatic
ike_hill
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of ike_hill
Hey Zombie I read your comments on Gerti and you seem to really enjoy it. You mentioned you were thinking of using electric touch with this, I'm curious what your thoughts are on that still and if you've had a chance to incorporate that into Gerti yet?
EricDraven
View Profile
Inner circle
1257 Posts

Profile of EricDraven
Is it gone from the magictao site??
Believe me...nothing is trivial...
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8736 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
On 2013-05-28 10:17, EricDraven wrote:
Is it gone from the magictao site??

Don't see it on Magic Tao. Penguin has it as a "FLAT-PACK™" so there's free world wide shipping.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/search.php?q=gerti

ike_hill, I haven't used Gerti with ET+. I think it's best to keep this simple.
music
View Profile
Special user
607 Posts

Profile of music
I have to say when I saw the demo I thought it was a M******c coin and a M******c ring. I like this idea of how this coin is gimmicked. I'll have to pick this up.
VernonOnCoins
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1917 Posts

Profile of VernonOnCoins
Is gimmick deceptive? Spectator will certainly examine both very closely
Mr. Ree
View Profile
Elite user
Sedona AZ
414 Posts

Profile of Mr. Ree
Personally I would not call the gimmick "deceptive".

Looks like this is working for others.

But for me there are too many ways to get the same effect without the gimmick being so obvious.
"music" mentioned only one of the alternative methods.

I will not be using this.
I don't understand why I would need to take any additional risk of getting caught by using
the Gerti method.

Again - one person's opionion
An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.
---- William Bernbach (1911 - 1982) ----

(After 25 years of PCs, everything switched to Macs, June 2008)
ike_hill
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of ike_hill
I got this in the mail on Saturday and have had the chance to show 5 people so far. I went ahead and purchased this thanks to the advice of a couple of people on the Café and I had no idea how the gimmick was made prior to receiving it in the mail.

I'm happy with it and the 5 people I've performed the routine to had no clue at all about the gimmick. I would have to rate it deceptive. I was afraid it was going to arrive and I was going to get a quarter with a smudge of wax on it or something but this is done by machinery/power tools and will last you forever.

If you're thinking about purchasing Gerti and are on the fence, do it. I paid $20 from Penguin and that is very reasonable for the DVD and gimmick.
mich77
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of mich77
I have to do an order on a site, but I don't know which version they have. If I buy it and the version is wrong, I can do other gimmicked coins? Or it is not a home-made gimmick? Just to know.
Anyway, I wonder why it is not available on the magic tao website anymore...
mich77
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of mich77
I saw the video of the effect. I saw coins and a r**g that I hope is not m******c. If so, I needn't it Smile
I hate r**gs usually Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Gerti by Romanos review (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL