We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Sleight vs. self working (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Would you prefer a magician to be professional if he is ONLY excellent at self-working? Smile
-The Scot-
View Profile
Special user
726 Posts

Profile of -The Scot-
It's down to entertainment factor, but I think a professional magician should have skill as he acts as a role model for younger magicians—portraying "self working" magic to beginners often urges them to waste a lot of money.
zombieboy
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut, USA
889 Posts

Profile of zombieboy
I completely agree.
djvirtualreality
View Profile
Inner circle
MayfieldNew York
1347 Posts

Profile of djvirtualreality
I think a professional can use anything they want. I consider a professional as someone who suceeds in entertaining and making people happy.
Life is an illusion, death is reality.
Carron
View Profile
Special user
UK
958 Posts

Profile of Carron
I believe it is all comes down to whether you are entertained but often sleights are more entertaining as there are no gimmicks etc. Smile
Luis Sirgado
View Profile
New user
Portugal
90 Posts

Profile of Luis Sirgado
For me a professional is the one that can do effects with sleight and also effects that are self-working.

This is the real magician.

Smile
"One of the greatest accomplishments of magicians in the last century is the ability to take something inherently profound and render it trivial."

-Max Maven-
boltt223
View Profile
Regular user
Arizona, USA
175 Posts

Profile of boltt223
I agree with Luis. If you can mix both together well, you can really be astounding. Smile
zombieboy
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut, USA
889 Posts

Profile of zombieboy
However, if the effect can be done by sleight of hand, I think it is better to invest the time needed and learn it that way than to just rely on gimmicks all the time.
-The Scot-
View Profile
Special user
726 Posts

Profile of -The Scot-
I'm with Zombieboy here, what would you (as a magician) prefer to watch—a magician pulling cards out of the air with card catchers on each hand, or by pure sleight of hand?

I'm sure most will agree with the latter of the two!

Kevin
boltt223
View Profile
Regular user
Arizona, USA
175 Posts

Profile of boltt223
I don't disagree that sleight of hand is much more beautiful to see. I just think that if you combine the two it could keep people really guessing. Smile
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
Hesperia, California USA
1904 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
There are some very powerful self-working effects available. I was performing once and I observed one person in the audience who was rolling a half dollar across his knuckles. He was quiet and standing in the back. After a couple of sleight of hand effects I noticed that he was telling everybody around him how everything was being done.

Without saying a word I immediately shifted to self-working effects. After two or three, he had no clue what was going on. (A good self-working trick will do that to you.) When I went back to sleight of hand, his friends were watching the magic and not paying any attention to him at all. Both types have their place and I encourage everybody to have an ample arsenal whenever you perform.

Steven
maylor
View Profile
Loyal user
england
231 Posts

Profile of maylor
As long as the effect to the audience is that they are seeing something magical, and that it entertains them - then I don't see a problem with self working stuff.

Of course, a magicians magician would prefer the sleight of hand. But I'm more into performing for normal people. Smile
zombieboy
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut, USA
889 Posts

Profile of zombieboy
Well said, but still, you don't get the sense of satisfaction of mastering a convincing sleight if you use a gimmick.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
After putting most of your comments together, it comes downs to this: It all depends on how good the magician is with other things also. For example, his character, personality, showmanship, timing, etc. Even though the magician is excellent at self-working tricks, he won't be professional if he is not good with the preceding.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6747 Posts

Profile of Dougini
A radio DJ friend of mine does comedy magic. He cannot use stuff that requires "skill" or "sleights". He has no experience as a performing magician.

That said, he's the most entertaining, funny, and audience-endearing performer I've seen in a long time...in fact gets standing ovations at the end of most performances.

Every trick is self-working. "Kid's stuff". But watch him on the Comedy Club stage, watch his audience and turn green with envy! He's a natural.

With all my "knowledge" of sleights, and experience with the "classics", I could never get an audience reaction like his... Smile ...

Some people are natural performers. Sleights are not always necessary, and people love Brian's style just the way it is. I've heard comments afterward about how he blows away "professional" magicians...and that makes me a little sad. He reminds me of Cardidi, in that things just "happen" to him, much to his bewilderment...my only complaint being the "blue" element involved, but that's the nature of Comedy Clubs today.

Sleights vs. self-working...hmmm, I guess it really DOES depend on the performer... Smile

Doug
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
My belief is that self-working or slieghts are just tools in the magician's tool box. He or she must learn to use which ever tool gets him or her the best results. The bottom line is that you must be entertaining to your audiences. If your audiences come away entertained, happy and have had a fun time with your performance, then you have done your job well.
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
maylor
View Profile
Loyal user
england
231 Posts

Profile of maylor
Absolutely. I get more satidfaction out of putting an entertaining routine togetther than I do from mastering difficult sleights.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6747 Posts

Profile of Dougini
On the other hand...

The thing I like about knowing sleights, is you can perform at a moment's notice, with someone else's deck of cards. You don't have to be carrying anything with you, and never have to apologize for not.

Per the video "On The Spot", it's a great idea to have a small number of mastered, generic sleights with coins and cards, "just in case".

A fellow magi here locally, says he uses no gimmickry. He shuns double-backs, shell coins, IT, and such. You'll be blown away by his skill with cards and coins! In fact, I just learned a great new force just last night!

Long live Sleight of Hand! Smile

Doug
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
All the sleights in the world do not count for anything if you can't entertain with them. Just something to think about.

Smile
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
maylor
View Profile
Loyal user
england
231 Posts

Profile of maylor
Yep. Just coming back from a magic convention it was clear to me that some of the most skillful and clever sleight magic outthere can be some of the most boring - as the performer lets the skill take over from the entertainment. If it bored me, then it's sure gonna bore a lay person.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Sleight vs. self working (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL