The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Busking Books & DVD's (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mystical Matthew
View Profile
Elite user
468 Posts

Profile of Mystical Matthew
If there's already a thread on this... Sorry. I didn't find it when I searched.

I'm interested in learning more about the fabulous world of busking! I haven't decided whether I want to try it myself yet. For the time being I'm just interested in learning the art of working the streets.

I'm much less interested in "tricks" and much more interested in things like crowd control, asking for tips, how to draw a crowd, how to pick a location, etiquette, etc... Even if I don't choose to busk per say, the more I have in my knowledge base the better I am as a performer.

Here's a list of books / dvd's I've found in my searches:

The Art of Street Performing Series
Tales of the Street
Gazzo Street-wise
Gazzo's Krowd Keeping
To Lure With Spectacle - Jimmy Talksalot
School of Busking DVD Set

Obviously I don't have the budget to buy everything available. What suggestions do you have for me to start with? Is there anything I've missed that I should look at?
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
http://www.secretartofmagic.com

It's somewhat hard to find, but copies are still available if you look hard enough.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
troppobob
View Profile
Veteran user
Crescent Head Australia
372 Posts

Profile of troppobob
G'day Matthew

Yes There are other discussions that look at your question but it appears that you have come up with a good list of resources.

If you have a look in the list here (The Side Walk Shuffle) you will see a topic "If you wana learn how to street perform" (it is about half way down the page) - that long discussion is well worth having a look at and it will direct you to Jimmy Talksalot's blog which will address a lot of the issues that you have raised.

I had a quick look at your website - it is well presented and I especially liked your video for the festivals.

All the best with your learning about the fabulous world of busking.

Bob Latta (aka Troppo Bob)
Mystical Matthew
View Profile
Elite user
468 Posts

Thanks to both of you! I'll be sure to check out Jimmy's blog and the other thread!

Bob - Thanks for your kind words about our site and the video trailer!
Floyd Collins
View Profile
Inner circle
Ohio
1633 Posts

Profile of Floyd Collins
Matthew,
To Lure With Spectacle - Jimmy Talksalot

This book is a gold mind of straight up busking talk.

Need any help here in Ohio let me know.

Floyd
No one said it would be easy, or did they?

Check out my all new book "Chicken Scratches" visit my lulu store for more information.

http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/thecenterstage

http://www.collinscomedymagic.com
Mystical Matthew
View Profile
Elite user
468 Posts

Thanks for the offer Floyd! I may take you up on that! ;-)
Stperformer
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of Stperformer
'Passing the Hat' by Patricia campbell is a fun read. Not a book on how to busk but rather interviews and observations by the young lady author as she travels and meets various busker singers/jugglers/mimes etc.
Easy fun read and sentimental for me Smile
Mac_Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
Miami, FL
1424 Posts

Profile of Mac_Stone
Krowd Keeping is a good place to start, follow that up with Tales from the Street. If you start with those to The Art Of series will be redundant. School Of goes into some great detail on crowd building and routining.

After these three you'll be better off just studying youtube clips and seeing how other performers, even non magicians, work and compare it to what you've learned. There are some great clips of Gazzo working his whole show.
Faulkner
View Profile
Loyal user
New Orleans
249 Posts

Profile of Faulkner
The Royal Touch by Cellini..I am shocked that hasn't been mentioned yet...nothing can touch it
MagiUlysses
View Profile
Special user
Kansas City
504 Posts

Profile of MagiUlysses
Brilliant, Mage Faulker! Or should I say, Sage Faulkner!

Having just run across this thread, I was thinking the same and going to post as much, when I ran across response.

Hands down, get Cellini's "The Royal Touch." This was the first book I acquired on the topic, and it's still my favorite resource.

If I could only have one book on performing magic as a busker, this would be the book. And if I could only have one magic book, this would also be the one. My only regret is in not purchasing two copies, and having the one Cellini autographed for me, and a second so I could remove the covers and create a softback version for when I'm on the road.

After that, anything by those noted above will serve you well.

Joe Zeman aka
The Mage Ulysses
Mystical Matthew
View Profile
Elite user
468 Posts

Thanks for all the suggestions guys!

Another book I just found out about... "Streetwise: A Guide To Magical Street Performing" by Gary McKibben. Looks like it's $20. http://blackbeltmagician.com/book.html

Keep 'em coming! Any other suggestions?
noland
View Profile
Veteran user
350 Posts

Profile of noland
I own a great many books and dvds on busking, all of which I think are good. If I had to pick just 2 dvds to get, however, it would be Kozmo's "Tales from the Streets," and Jimmy Talksalot's recently released "Four of a Kind."
gman
View Profile
Special user
Lancaster, pa
751 Posts

Profile of gman
Also Mario Morris has a great DVD out on the "School of Busking" Definetly worth checking out.

http://schoolofbusking.com
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Matthew: As Noland noted it above - here is a link to 4 of a Kind review:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......rum=6&14

I cannot recommend that and the Cellini videos enough - although 4 of a Kind does not teach any effects, it does take you through everything else.
manal
View Profile
Inner circle
York ,PA.
1412 Posts

Profile of manal
The Zurich lecture DVD by Cellini.
Life is too important to take seriously.

james@jamesmanalli.com

www.jamesmanalli.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Busking Books & DVD's (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL