The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Best quality deck? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
volto
View Profile
Special user
603 Posts

Profile of volto
For what it's worth, I think decks from different manufacturers vary quite widely. Most of the cards people mention in these lists are manufactured by USPCC, which means they are all going to feel pretty similar. Although there are some minor differences, the difference between, say, Bikes and Aristocats isn't anything like as pronounced as the difference between Bikes and Masenghini Poker 900s, for instance.

For now, I think Fournier are the best quality.
KLG
View Profile
Veteran user
Hong Kong
348 Posts

Profile of KLG
Fournier 605 for me. I've been playing with 2 decks for almost a year and they are still in good condition.
volto
View Profile
Special user
603 Posts

Profile of volto
The other thing I've found is that keeping the deck (almost any deck) in a Porper card clip really helps. Other clips aren't so strong, but the Porper one seems to apply a strong constant pressure to the cards - once they've been in there for a while, they come out with most of the bends mostly out of them, like keeping the deck under a stack of heavy books overnight (which was my old method).

So, Fournier 605s and Porper card clips for the win.
MagicTobe
View Profile
Loyal user
259 Posts

Profile of MagicTobe
There is one little trick that will turn any deck into a quality deck. I "Do" it to every single deck I own.
It's Steven Youell's "buffing the deck"!
chrom
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of chrom
Quote:
On 2012-03-18 08:07, yabi wrote:
Hey Shane,

Let us know how you make out. Good luck with the hunt!

y.

I was able to pick some up Aviators today at Harris Teeter. No opinion so far but glad I was finally able to find them locally...also picked up some Bee's as well.

Shane
yabi
View Profile
New user
Cherry Hill, NJ
92 Posts

Profile of yabi
@Shane: Let us know!
@MagicTobe: Thanks for the tip!

y.
chrom
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of chrom
Quote:
On 2012-03-21 11:33, MagicTobe wrote:
There is one little trick that will turn any deck into a quality deck. I "Do" it to every single deck I own.
It's Steven Youell's "buffing the deck"!

I have been hearing about this buffing technique as well and I cannot find the exact steps anywhere. I even reached out to Steve, but with his surgery its going to be a little while. I found somewhere else to take a 4 way file and work your way progressively up through the grit for about 10 seconds for each color each side. This is very similar to the technique us woodworkers use when making pens/bowls/etc on the lathe. Except on the lathe you have the machine moving the object which makes it much easier. In the end my cards seem smoother but I have not noticed any discernible difference just yet. I imagine there may also be more to the buffing than what I described.

Shane
KPhilip
View Profile
New user
Around the Globe
57 Posts

Profile of KPhilip
I'm using Tally Ho for everything, I also make my gimmicks from them. but if there are the best, I can't tell.
I think everyone has their own preferences, so it is up to you to decide.

Kevin
Vayron
View Profile
Loyal user
Belgium
229 Posts

Profile of Vayron
As far as I'm concerned I really like the blue crowns especially the red deck. Very good quality, better than the bikes and the back design is awesome.
Jim Mullen
View Profile
Veteran user
Lake Tahoe, California
351 Posts

Profile of Jim Mullen
I use Bicycle Rider Backs for the reasons mentioned. In addition, I use blue rather than red because they camouflage sleights better. For example, a flash of red in a palming move is much more noticeable than a flash of dark blue.
Jim Mullen

Lake Tahoe
leomagnus
View Profile
Veteran user
303 Posts

Profile of leomagnus
For best deck, I'm pulling for regular bikes. They're easily recognizable, they break in easily, and they handle beautifully. However, as previously mentioned in this thread, they're not the most durable of decks. In my opinion that is the bikes' one major flaw. For the most durable deck, I'd say Blaine's Split Spades hands down. I bought a deck when he first came out with them, and have had it for YEARS! The box is crazily worn and falling apart, the card are no longer white, but a smudged grey color. They look terrible. BUT THEY STILL FAN and FARO! I wear out a deck of bike in 1-2 weeks. This split spade deck is around 3 or 4 years old!
Steven Youell
View Profile
V.I.P.
3866 Posts

Profile of Steven Youell
Quote:
On 2012-03-22 16:58, chrom wrote:
I have been hearing about this buffing technique as well and I cannot find the exact steps anywhere. I even reached out to Steve, but with his surgery its going to be a little while.

Tell you what. I'll try and have a tutorial up in the next week. It will be informal, so don't expect high production qualities. But it'll teach the methodology.

SEY
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Steven, will the video be accessable for us?

thanks
edh
Magic is a vanishing art.
Steven Youell
View Profile
V.I.P.
3866 Posts

Profile of Steven Youell
Quote:
On 2012-04-10 16:13, edh wrote:

Sure! Just give me some time-- I have another surgery this Friday (The OTHER eye...)

SEY
Jim Mullen
View Profile
Veteran user
Lake Tahoe, California
351 Posts

Profile of Jim Mullen
I use Bicycle Rider Backs for the reasons mentioned. In addition, I use blue rather than red because they camouflage sleights better. For example, a flash of red in a palming move is much more noticeable than a flash of dark blue.
Jim Mullen

Lake Tahoe
Steven Youell
View Profile
V.I.P.
3866 Posts

Profile of Steven Youell
Quote:
On 2012-04-10 16:13, edh wrote:

Here ya go: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=2&0

SEY
Bandaloop
View Profile
Regular user
Dodging attacks for the past
195 Posts

Profile of Bandaloop
Richard Turner's Gold Standard Bikes. Same Bike back design, but made from Bee stock. They last me at least 5 times longer than a deck of Bikes bought off the shelf.
Adam1975
View Profile
Special user
UK
900 Posts

Profile of Adam1975
Off topic ever so slightly (sleightly?) but whats the difference between Fournier 505/605.....
Ive upped my standards.Now,up yours!
Boudje
View Profile
New user
France
89 Posts

Profile of Boudje
The difference between the fournier 505 and the fournier 18: the 18 faro like better right outside the box, the edges of the 18 are more soft. The 18 are not traditional cut ( I don't know for the 505)
The 505 has some special decks, unlike the 18.
MVFAN
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of MVFAN
Same as Jim above. Layman know Bikes anything else they start thing "Trick Deck".

Pete
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Best quality deck? (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL