We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Skilled looking cuts (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

EXTREMENINJA1
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of EXTREMENINJA1
What are a few skilled looking cuts worth learning? Like the sybil cut ect?
Kyle Elder
View Profile
Regular user
Fresno, California
114 Posts

Profile of Kyle Elder
The hot shot isn't too difficult but looks impressive and can be useful with certain effects. I personally don't focus on impressive looking cuts to much.
s.freeman
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of s.freeman
I have always loved anything one handed.
satellite23
View Profile
Elite user
424 Posts

Profile of satellite23
Look up the Revolution One-Handed Cut. Actually, I think the only place I've ever seen it is YouTube.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8466 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
My one-hand Chopstick Cut - if you can find it.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Dirtytrix
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of Dirtytrix
The question is what do you want the cut to acheive?

Do you want it to be legit or a control?

The Crazy Cut does look very cool and gives the impression of you being a real journeyman manipulator of the deck, but to my mind it doesn't offer much to a routine and can be counter productive.

The best cuts are going to be ones you're going to use and that are actually functional within your material, and when the heat is on you and the cards they probably need to be as simple as possible, but saying that I guess you actually want something that sets you appart from the rest of the non-deck-carrying-public.

I would recommend working with variations of the swing cut, and something like a swing cut with a double under cut looks relatively cool, uncomplicated, and the end result looks like an honest attempt at loosing someones card in the deck, although in reality nothing changes.

Another I like to use but I don't know the name of it (anyone?) is if I've controlled a card to the bottom is to start with a swing cut but just pivot up the top third of the deck and hold it there, swivel cut the bottom third by pushing it with my first finger of my left hand 180 degrees around my right thumb and just let it drop into my left hand (as I'm right handed), then toss the top third on top of the bottom third in my left hand (complete a swivel toss) and then slap the remainder on top. All it does it swap the top 2/3 of the deck but retains the bottom third. With all the pivoting, tossing and swivelling it looks more involved than a straight forward cut but is really simple and gives the impression that I've have legitimately cut the deck, because you really did ... except the bottom third. Of course, the big issue here is to watch the angles as the controlled card is on the bottom and exposed but it's easy to cover it, just hold everything low so people can only see the top but they get to see all the action ... what there is of it. You can then follow with an easy over-hand shuffle to control the card back to the top.

I can't remember what this one is called (anyone) but you start with the cards 'landscape' on the table and hold the right hand corners of the deck between the pads of your thumb and first finger so you're making an arch over the right-hand end of the deck. Now with your left hand pull out the bottom third of the deck and place it straight into the upper arch of your right hand and grip it there just above the joints of your right thumb and finger so it sticks out almost level with the cards underneath it. Now with your left hand grab the bottom half of whats left on the table (another third of the whole deck), quickly toss down the original bottom third (the third you're gripping above the joints of your right hand) whilst quickly moving the third (that you're still holding between the pads of your right thumb and finger on the table) out of the way. Then place the third in your left hand on top, and the remaining third in your right hand on top of that. Practice that and get it upto speed and it looks like a totally honest cut and the slap, slap, slap of each third of the deck coming down on each other gives the impression of something quite sloppy and honest is happening even though it looks kinda cool at the same time.

Hope that helps,

Phil
Dr. JK
View Profile
Special user
Sandusky, OH
995 Posts

Profile of Dr. JK
David Regal has a neat looking cut in Constant Fooling 1. It's called the Butterfly Hop. If I'm not mistaken, it maintains the order of the entire deck. It's very impressive looking, though, and he includes discussion on how to use it as a card control.
- Jeff Kowalk, The Psychic CPA
www.youtube.com/eruditemagic
IG: @PsychicCPA
djw.tyler
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of djw.tyler
Check out the Just Enough Cut on Cameron Francis' Card Trail. It's a false cut that's designed to look a little bit flash but not too much!

Dave
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Skilled looking cuts (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL