The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » David Copperfields laser illusion (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
submagi
View Profile
Loyal user
216 Posts

Profile of submagi
Does anyone know where I can find this at? If not the exact trick, maybe a varition?
JAEIII
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

Profile of JAEIII
David Copperfield owns the exclusive rights to this trick. You won't be able to find it anywhere. Anything you find for sale similar to it are rip-offs and should not be bought.
Believe In Magic....I do!
Luis Sirgado
View Profile
New user
Portugal
90 Posts

Profile of Luis Sirgado
That´s true submagi, David Copperfield owns the exclusive rights of laser, so you cannot buy the illusion. I know the secret, and i´m building the laser, just for fun, I will not do it in public.
But you can buy a similar illusion by Vicenzo Ravino, I think is the name of the guy.

Smile
"One of the greatest accomplishments of magicians in the last century is the ability to take something inherently profound and render it trivial."

-Max Maven-
MopKrayz
View Profile
Elite user
423 Posts

Profile of MopKrayz
Andrew Mayne has a variant "the pocket sawing" but it's a far cry from dc's laser.
respect the creation of others and don't copy this. I can imagine all the training dc must have gone through to do all the necessary parts. that alone is astounding.
Tor Egil
View Profile
Elite user
Norway
495 Posts

Profile of Tor Egil
I think Im on to some thing. If you combine Pocket sawing in half and Bisection into one trick you could have some thing simmilar to Laser.
illusioneer
View Profile
Special user
Ohio
716 Posts

Profile of illusioneer
If there was a way to make Pocket Sawing EXTREMELY visible, then you would have something similar. But, like stated earlier, stick to the morals of magic. Its already EXCLUSIVELY owned.
Things are about to change........ LIGHTS!!!
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
There have already been discussions about this, try a search for another thread.
Jordan Piper
View Profile
Veteran user
British Columbia, Canada
309 Posts

Profile of Jordan Piper
This topic was disscused at this link: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......7&19
There are other links there that may help you. Smile
Eddini_81976
View Profile
Inner circle
2183 Posts

Profile of Eddini_81976
If this is the trick where his top half of his body hold his legs as he walks, a dealer told me he bought the rights from Steve Fearson, based on a Steve Fearson trick where he floats above his coat. Is that true?

I do love this Copperfield illusion as it looks really wild. I mean he had those poor kids running asnd crying as he did it outside for them on his last special, I mean I felt bad for the kids. Are we all talking about the same illusion here? Smile Smile Smile
"Treat Others As You'd Want To Be Treated" - Jesus Christ
IllusionJack
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas, Nevada
376 Posts

Profile of IllusionJack
Yes. The "Laser" illusion DC did in his show (and on the Tornado of Fire special) was Steve Fearson's and DC did buy the rights to it. Cool illusion - I only saw it once, live, a few years ago and it was totally sweet. Better in person than on that TV special. In fact, everything is better in person that he does.

You know which one I really liked from that TV special though was the Moon Rock/Wine Glass/Goldfish one. I wish I knew where I could learn that one.

--Jack Smile
illusioneer
View Profile
Special user
Ohio
716 Posts

Profile of illusioneer
Well lucky for you there are MANY many goldfish productions on the market. Many are from Hocus-Pocus. Of course they are not the EXACT productions used by DC, but who would want that? LOL
Things are about to change........ LIGHTS!!!
IllusionJack
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas, Nevada
376 Posts

Profile of IllusionJack
This is true. There are some pretty good ones that I've seen available! However the thing that probably amazed me the most about the DC one was not the production of the fish, but rather the moves with the wine glass.

--Jack Smile
g0thike
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of g0thike
Valentino the "Masked Magician" performs the Laser Illusion. He performed it in Chinesse TV and it is in his demo. The illusion was in his demo prior to Copperfield airing it in his 2000 special.

His magic exposure are still aired in different countries and he tours diffrent countries as a magician and performs in coliseums to thousands of people wearing the mask. His big in diffrent countries.

In the USA it is a diffrent story.

G0THIKE
Chris Aguilar
View Profile
Veteran user
326 Posts

Profile of Chris Aguilar
I don't think he uses it regularly in his shows any more. It's very vulnerable to bad angles/lighting and was quite uncovincing at one of his live shows that I caught. Looked great on Tv though!
thehawk
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of thehawk
It looked incredible on TV. Just wondering how much editing might have went into it. I'm sure their was some or should I say camera advantage.
David Le
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
365 Posts

Profile of David Le
From what I know DC does this deep into the stage and there's only a small spot of light on him....... plus before the illusion; to make it epic the BEAM flashes across the audience to make it "scarier".....

that's for the live version, from what I know.
zaubern
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle, Wa
335 Posts

Profile of zaubern
Even if you did build it, which you should not do, where would you perform this, and how would you travel with it. I would be very costly and hard to do. Personally, unless you have the means to pull something like that off, stick to something more realistic.
Zaubern Smile
Luis Sirgado
View Profile
New user
Portugal
90 Posts

Profile of Luis Sirgado
Zaubern the illusion is not expensive, the method is simple and the materials to create are also cheap.
And it´s very simple to travel with it.
But David owns the rights, that´s the only thing that matters.
"One of the greatest accomplishments of magicians in the last century is the ability to take something inherently profound and render it trivial."

-Max Maven-
JAEIII
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

Profile of JAEIII
The live shows are really no different versus what you saw on the television special. I have seen this illusion performed about 6 times live, each time I was 5th row or closer. He has played with different lights. On some shows the stage was kept kind of dark, where in other shows the lights were up pretty high.

David is a true artist when it comes to this illusion. If you know how it is done, then you know it is REALLY hard to pull off and make it look real. His dedication to the rehersal of this trick is really inspiring.

David has practiced it and does it so well, that angles are not a huge problem for him. I have seen it 6 times close up, and I have never caught the "secret." And I know what to look for.

This is not the reason he took it out of the show. He took it out to make room for new illusions. I'm sure it will be brought back in the show down the road sometime.

As for the masked moron, he is not doing as well as you might think in other countries. He was doing well in China a few years back. As stated above he put out a few exposure shows. I have seen these shows. He did perform Copperfield's laser. He did not expose it though. HOWEVER, he performed it so badly that anyone who watched it could figure it out. It's a real shame.

He eventually got booted from China, where he traveled elsewhere...and like the USA and China, got booted as well. The last I heard he was in Costa Rica...it was a victory to magicians as the company that ran his specials were sued, and the magicians won! So Valentino lost work there as well. Not sure where he is today. Probably begging someone else to let him expose magic on their TV shows. It's a shame.
Believe In Magic....I do!
g0thike
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of g0thike
Masked Magician is living in Vegas in his home and the specials brought him fame and money. Last time I saw him live was at the strip club called "The Body Shop" in Hollywood. I also saw a struggling Lance Burton performing magic at the same nude bar too.

Someone I know is friends with the Masked Magician, and he still does shows in South America were I believe he is also getting sued.

Last I heard, "Magic Magazine" wrote a little clip of him because he was being sued by some magician on TV in some "People's Court Show". Which makes me think that "Magic Magazine" wanted to promote him since everyone knows that the "People's Court" is made up and uses fake case and actors.
GOTHIKE
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » David Copperfields laser illusion (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL