We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Invisible Deck (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

EXTREMENINJA1
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of EXTREMENINJA1
Does the invisible deck wear off after a while? The card get old etc. and don't work as well as they should. I received one today and would like to know if there are any tips on how to keep it etc.?
whiteoakcanyon
View Profile
Special user
890 Posts

Profile of whiteoakcanyon
Over time it does wear off. You can touch them up with either roughing fluid sold by magic dealers or Krylon which is sold at Arts & Crafts stores. Many people find it easier just to replace the deck. I get a lot of performance time from my decks before they wear beyond use. My suggestion is to store your cards with ALL the cards in the box to avoid warping of the deck. I think that is the only suggestion I can think of to extend the life of the cards. It is one of the most powerful tricks - enjoy!
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3622 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
This is a great trick. Try sanding the backs of the cards very lightly with 000 steel wool. Sometimes this will re-vitalize the fluid. If not, spray very lightly with Krylon Matte finish (Walmart). Don't use much at all - it only takes a very light misting.

If I do the above and still have a few that won't cooperate, I get a new deck. You can find them here on the Café for as little as $7.00

Jim
Pecan_Creek
View Profile
Veteran user
The Nation of TEXAS!
323 Posts

Profile of Pecan_Creek
Or you can get Krylon Matte finish at any hardware store.
whiteoakcanyon
View Profile
Special user
890 Posts

Profile of whiteoakcanyon
I had never before heard of using steel wool, great suggestion.
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3622 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Well, I found out by accident. I was going to "sand" my McCombical deck and re-do it with Science Friction fluid. After sanding the cards, they actually worked better than new.

Jim
volto
View Profile
Special user
603 Posts

Profile of volto
In the UK, Letracote 103 matt coating, by Letraset, or Testor's Dullcote, or Humbrol Matt spray varnish - all used very sparingly. Or roughing fluid/spray from a dealer. Or if you're using a brand of cards that's commonly gaffed (Bikes, Fox Lake, Anglo, Ellusionist, Phoenix), you could just buy another for the hassle and cost of the spray/fluid.

I prefer to use cards that aren't commonly gaffed, and spray them. The Wizard Product Review guys have a great FREE video ("Roughed" by Craig Petty) that you can view at WizardFX.tv - http://88.208.208.169/
This goes into all the details and has some excellent additional effects.

In terms of warping, a Joe Porper card clip can help a lot. It applies a constant, even pressure to the deck, not unlike storing it under a stack of books. If you store the deck in the clip, it will gradually straighten out - but I wouldn't recommend keeping the clip on for performance. It'll slow you down and it looks unusual and suspicious.
EXTREMENINJA1
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of EXTREMENINJA1
Ok, I shall probably invest in some spray. Also what presentation of the ID did you find most effective? I quite like the prediction method but I am intrigued by the invisble deck becoming real effect.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I use body powder.
s.freeman
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of s.freeman
The spray is usually cheaper than new decks if you have the time, you can even use it to turn normal decks into invisible decks. Make sure you do it in a well ventilated area as I'm pretty sure that stuff kills brain cells. One can lasts a long time though depending on your deck usage.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Invisible Deck (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL